• Silly Fiddler on the roof question

From elanahorwitz@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 16 07:30:13 2015
    I was just looking up the subject of Mottel and Tzeitel being related. Fruma Sarah, the singer in the dream, aside from saying "They named him after my dear Uncle Mordechai" also says "I meant a tailor, Tevye, my great-grandchild."

Mottel is Fruma Sarah's great-grandchild.

Tzeitel is also Fruma Sarah's great-grandchild. We know this because when Tevye finishes telling Golde about the dream, Golde says, If my grandmother Tzeitel, may she rest in peace,took the trouble to come from the other world to tell us about the tailor
    all I can say is that it's for the best. It couldn't possibly be any better."

Individuals who share a great-parent are 2nd cousins. That is what Mottel and Tzeitel are to each other. Which would not be at all surprising in shtetl circumstances.

Mottel is a Yiddish nickname for the name Mordechai that appears in the Scroll of Esther.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From elanahorwitz@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 16 07:50:04 2015
    I meant to write:

Individuals who share a great-grandparent are 2nd cousins. That is what Mottel and Tzeitel are to each other. Which would not be at all surprising in shtetl circumstances.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)