• Re: \S/tupidgirl S06E12 Blind Spots

From thuganomics85@21:1/5 to anim8rfsk@cox.net on Wed Sep 22 09:15:26 2021
    XPost: rec.arts.tv

In article <1672801231.654000705.588350.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>, anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:

\S/tupidgirl S06E12 Blind Spots

The worst show on television delivers its worst episode yet.

Written by and starring Jimmy Olson's sister it consists almost entirely of >her slowing efforts to rescue people because she's stupid.

Basically it goes like this. The evil she imp levels a building. Somehow >magic dust gets breathed in by people, most of them are black, and it's >"stealing their energy"
    It's explained that they'll all get well instantly if they can just get the >dust out of them. So the super friends are working on that.

Jimmy's sister interrupts them to complain that these people are sick and >it's explained to her that once they get rid of the dust which is what >they're working on the people will all be fine and Jimmy's sister throws a >fit that they aren't working on the underlying systemic racism that caused >this in the first place.

What now? It was an attack by an evil magic imp from the fifth dimension
    that caused this. And they're working to make everybody magically well
    again.

They do this over and over again, four or five times during the course of
    the show, and then they add on "nobody's listening to her because she's >black" when in fact it's her that's not listening.

Meanwhile Lena who is off trying to learn magic sees the headlines that >there's big trouble in national city and races back to help while her witch >teacher calls after her to take the book of spells but she does not.

Jimmy Olson's sister decided she needs a new costume. Luckily Brainy built >her one sometime ago and was just waiting for her to ask. It's a really >stupid looking affair, plastic helmet and gloves spray painted gold with >black dreadlocks attached to it sort of like she was Mrs. Predator.

Stupidgirl fights the evil Kari Matchett and gets her ass kicked yay. So
    all the super friends come to fight her. She's been infused with a >combination of gene therapy and magic dust and can just make anything
    happen including wishing people dead but she doesn't do any of that. I
    tried but it didn't work for me.

Meanwhile Lena gets to town and finds the book of magic waiting there for
    her having been sent by US mail. Yes, US mail from Canadia to Los Angeles >traveled faster than Lena did. And she does nothing else the whole episode.

Having defeated the evil white woman all the super friends profusely >apologize to Jimmy Olson's sister even though she was in the wrong the
    entire time. She decides from now on she will dress like a depression era >washer woman with a do rag around her head.

No headway against the Evil magic amp is made whatsoever. No progression >towards the eagerly awaited end of the series is made whatsoever. It's >entirely just a "white man bad" filler episode.

Diggle (rhymes with SQUIGGLE!) does a drop in cameo on his way to being
    Green Lantern.

Every bit of this (aside from the woke message) is idiocy. People call each >other just to say they don't have time to talk to them on the phone. People >keep re-announcing stuff that's already been said over and over. And they
    do it as though it's new information. Catco is evil because they refused
    to cover the complete collapse of the building because it's in a bad >neighborhood and nobody cares. Jimmy's sister tells Kari Matchett she >shouldn't be In the poor peoples hospital so she tells her people to take
    her to a different hospital to free up bed space and Jimmy's sister tells >everybody she's evil because of that. Because she did exactly what was
    asked of her.

Eight episodes to go. I don't think I can stand it. I may have to quit and >come back in about 7 1/2 episodes or so.

I was not able to post a review of this on RAT - Facebook. It disappeared >instantly. As I was typing. They didn't even wait for me to hit send.
    Clearly the fix is in.

I'm really not sure what to say at this point. When it comes to social
    issues, the show has always taken the most heavy-handed, anvil dropping, cliched, and overdramatic path possible, and this was no exception here. But it's just like, well, I've already accepted it at this point, so it's like I almost don't have any energy to criticize the show for it. It is what it is,
    I guess. For better or worse, this is Supergirl to its core.

Honestly though, I think they did a decent job at establishing how the Superfriends would be so invested in trying to find Nxy that they would lose sight of everything else, and not realize there are more imminent threats that need to be taken care of first. And I do understand Kelly's frustration since they seem to keep ignoring her and, really, at the very least they could have spared one of the gang to help, because it really didn't feel like everyone
    was needed at that particular moment. From what I could see, it looked like Kara, Alex, and Brainy were the only ones doing tasks that needed to be done
    at that very moment, while J'onn and Nia seem to just be hanging around for reasons. I don't really have any issue with the actual content, but the unsubtle way they approach all of it just made it kind of mess at times. But, again, I've kind of just expected it to happen like this, so I at least can't be disappointed.

And, of course, Diggle shows up for his final (?) crossover appearance and
    once again is basically regulated to being the "Hey, as the OG Main Black Character in the Arrowverse, I just want to say that you have my approval!" to the other black characters on their respected shows. And apparently hanging out with both Jimmy and Jefferson off-screen. Cool? At least David Ramsey
    got to direct again and did a good job as always.

No surprise: Rankin returns and just goes from being a one-note antagonist to
    a full-blown villain in a mere ten seconds. Yeah, that wasn't surprising. At least Kari Matchett had fun sliming it up.

Andrea is back to being lame, I see.

Lena comes back and now has a helpful book of magic with her!

I for one will continue to back Brainy on his quest to get everyone to eat their veggies! He will not be silenced!

Whatever flaws this episode had, Azie Tesfai crushed it. I wished most of
    this happened before the final season, but better late than never, I guess.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)