• Tuesday on TCM: George Pal Retrospective

From Jack Bohn@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 20 09:58:40 2023
    The Great Rupert (1950)
    tom thumb (1958)
    The Time Machine (1960)
    The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962)
    7 Faces of Dr. Lao (1964)
    Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (1975)
    Atlantis, the Lost Continent (1960)

You know his story:
    His Puppetoons released by Paramount along side Fleischer Studio's cartoons. Went to an independent studio for two feature films, "The Great Rupert" and "Destination Moon". Paramount brought him on for "When Worlds Collide" (I've heard optioned closer to publication as a possible C. B. DeMille-type epic) to great acclaim. Then "
    The War of the Worlds" (again, previously optioned for an epic) to even greater acclaim. Two films that might be sidestreamed into sf, "Houdini" and "The Naked Jungle", then "Conquest of Space" was released to... well, I don't know what, but, after
    producing five films over five years for Paramount, he never worked there again. Three years later, he used his familiarity with puppetoons to produce and direct "tom thumb," distributed by MGM. MGM liked what they had; for them he produced and
    directed "Time Machine," "Atlantis," "Brothers Grimm," and "Dr. Lao." over the following six years. Then slowing down and only producing "The Power" four years after that, and "Doc Savage" seven years later, and not getting any of his other plans off
    the ground.

Well, they're all up here except "Moon," "Power," and the Paramount films, making me suspect TCM doesn't have a deal with Paramount. In order, too, except "Atlantis" is moved to last. I could understand if this were into the night, I consider "Atlantis"
    the weakest of Pal's, and would put it latest if we were still limited by how late we could stay awake, or by the six hours of a SLP videotape. But this showing is through the morning and afternoon of local time, with "Atlantis" leading right into
    prime time. Or do the two hours before prime time still show viewers going to local news, sports, and weather?

--
    -Jack

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)