• A Poem / George J. Dance (c&c)

From George J. Dance@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 21 09:52:31 2021
    I was adding a new poem onto PPB just now ("Nocturnal Reveries" by Anne Finch), so I went to the policy page on adding poems to secure the template. In the process, I discovered this poem I wrote just to use as an example.

But now I'm thinking that I might put it into my next print book, and I'm interested in feedback on it.

A Poem

This is a poem.
    It is not a great poem
    Or even a good poem.
    All that it is
    Is just a poem.

- George J. Dance, 2012

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Terry Stomp@21:1/5 to George J. Dance on Fri May 28 14:48:30 2021
    On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 1:52:33 PM UTC-3, George J. Dance wrote:
    I was adding a new poem onto PPB just now ("Nocturnal Reveries" by Anne Finch), so I went to the policy page on adding poems to secure the template. In the process, I discovered this poem I wrote just to use as an example.

But now I'm thinking that I might put it into my next print book, and I'm interested in feedback on it.

A Poem

This is a poem.
    It is not a great poem
    Or even a good poem.
    All that it is
    Is just a poem.

- George J. Dance, 2012

good and funny G.D.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George J. Dance@21:1/5 to Terry Stomp on Sun Jun 6 09:55:04 2021
    On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 5:48:31 PM UTC-4, Terry Stomp wrote:

A Poem

This is a poem.
    It is not a great poem
    Or even a good poem.
    All that it is
    Is just a poem.

- George J. Dance, 2012
    good and funny G.D.

Thanks. That's the main intent.

There's a serious undertone, though. There's been an ongoing debate on Usenet over the definition of a poem. One place area of disagreement is between those who advocate a purely descriptive definition- a poem something written in a certain form - and
    those who want a somewhat normative definition: a poem has to do something, and it has to be good enough to do that, or it isn't a poem at all.

I do agree that a poem should do something, and it should be good enough, but that's not a matter of definition. On that, I'm all for the descriptive definition. There are good poems, and bad poems; they're all poems, and the people writing them are all
    to that degree poets.

I could have written that all as a prose manifesto; some would have read it, and of them, those who already agreed would have agreed, and those who didn't wouldn't. I don't often get my mind changed from prose manifestos. So I wrote it as a poem, the way
    I think that a poem would work: rather than tell the reader any of that, I wanted to communicate the epiphany; give him the situation, and let him think those thoughts for himself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Vicious@21:1/5 to George J. Dance on Wed Jun 9 16:33:23 2021
    On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 12:55:06 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
    On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 5:48:31 PM UTC-4, Terry Stomp wrote:

A Poem

This is a poem.
    It is not a great poem
    Or even a good poem.
    All that it is
    Is just a poem.

- George J. Dance, 2012
    good and funny G.D.
    Thanks. That's the main intent.

There's a serious undertone, though. There's been an ongoing debate on Usenet over the definition of a poem. One place area of disagreement is between those who advocate a purely descriptive definition- a poem something written in a certain form - and
    those who want a somewhat normative definition: a poem has to do something, and it has to be good enough to do that, or it isn't a poem at all.

I do agree that a poem should do something, and it should be good enough, but that's not a matter of definition. On that, I'm all for the descriptive definition. There are good poems, and bad poems; they're all poems, and the people writing them are
    all to that degree poets.

I could have written that all as a prose manifesto; some would have read it, and of them, those who already agreed would have agreed, and those who didn't wouldn't. I don't often get my mind changed from prose manifestos. So I wrote it as a poem, the
    way I think that a poem would work: rather than tell the reader any of that, I wanted to communicate the epiphany; give him the situation, and let him think those thoughts for himself.

Cool...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05