• HISTORY OF SPIDER

From kickitch@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 12 10:20:46 2016
    On Monday, May 3, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Snare311 wrote:
    Dora Wright wrote:

As far as I know, "Spider" was written by Ken Watts (a SCS drum staff member...I think he taught snares) the year before Al Murray went to Suncoast. Ken taught Suncoast and a few other corps, as well as my high school drumline, so I've heard the "history of Spider" a couple times... It was the Friday night of a camp, the air was hot and humid, and there were mosquitos everywhere. Only half the drumline was there, and the snares were
    playing a 16th note diddle exercise for which there was no bass drum part. Since the basses were just hanging out, Ken made up a part for them that was
    based upon the diddle pattern that the snares were playing. I think it was that the basses played on every 16th note that the snares didn't have a diddle... as Ken explained it, "the part wrote itself." It was one of those
    spur of the moment, "uh...basses, play this..." kind of things. I don't know what year all of this happened, but I could find out for you if you really want to know. At any rate, the next year Al showed up and apparently "Spider" became associated with him. John Campese might know more about the whole "Spider" thing because he actually marched under Ken around that time. I'd like to see that list you have of "people who could have written Spider," though. I think it would be kind of interesting to see who's on it.

Buz

The list includes: Kim Lloyd, Al Murray (I emailed him yesterday. He
    said he would get back to me on the info) Jack Starling, Joe Southard,
    and John Campese. This is some info sent by quite two different people.
    --
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Johnathan "FUGI" Richards
    Capital Regiment D&BC Bass Cat
    http://come.to/mvhsdrum
    AIM:SNARE311 ICQ:5178397

I marched under Jack Starling on bassline in HS from 90-94.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)