• Star Trek and The Internet (was Re: This Newsgroup is really gettin

From kaedinclarke23@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Plain and Simple Cronan on Thu May 31 19:26:53 2018
    On Friday, October 3, 1997 at 3:00:00 PM UTC+8, Plain and Simple Cronan wrote:
    remove-to-e-mailMr Wolf <MrWolf@writeme.com> wrote

You changed your e-mail thingie effectively removing you from my killfile.
    Be proud. I have deemed you worthy of a response...

Usenet is not an accurate indicator of Star Trek Fan's attitudes.

Yet the producers seem to think so. They make constant reference to the internet in their various interviews. I can quote two off the top of my head(Scorpion Promo in Tv Guide and The EW article Lust in Space). There
    are others in magazines I don't read or don't have websites(Starlog, Communicator, etc)

Most fans who watch have no problem with the show and thus never feel compelled to discuss it on the usenet, and some who might wish to are discouraged by the lack of 'mature' discussion about Voyager on the
    board and thus become disillusioned like Starcrol who thinks this is
    more a place where unpleasent arguments occur rather than intelectual discussions of Voyager.

Most fans(60 odd % and rising) would disagree based upon the ratings. Voyager's ratings have dropped at a rate that would have long ago cancelled any other show. Be leave Voyager(and DS9( in the form of en masse. A
    trekkie exodus if you will that is continuing. The tremendous ratings of Scorpion part 2 were a fluke. The next episode's ratings DROPPED so hard I felt the Earth move(and so did the producers). The pissed off attiture ellicited by several people(myself chief among them can in no way be said
    to exist solely on these NGs

Even the lowest rated episodes of Voyager have millions of viewers and there are only a few dozen poster to this board at any time.

Wrong. I counted 400 posts on Dejanews by different posters. That is about how many Nielson families tuned in for Voyager to account for the millions you mention.

Those
    who wish to complain about the show are more likely to post than those
    who have no quarrel with the status quo.

So many people have gotten sick of the status quo that they have simply stopped complaining and moved on. They, not having my ability to find the abject stupidty of others entertaining, have started watching things like
    The Secret World of Alex Mack on Nick for intellectual stimulation.

Therefore it is only logical
    that this board would be over-represented with the show's detractors.

Yet here is where they turn to find out what we think....

You don't have to like it but you must accept that these NGs have come to represent Trekdom.

-- Plain and Simple Cronan, X O of the USS Megadittos <*>
    "Behold a creature greater than man. I give you...the five-assed
    monkey!" - South Park UIN: 3549400 cronan@deathsdoor.com
    See the GODFaq and learn how the universe is really run at http://gpgod.home.mindspring.com/godfaq.htm

Star Trek is an ok show

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From baberiel80@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Plain and Simple Cronan on Thu Jun 7 18:50:05 2018
    On Friday, October 3, 1997 at 3:00:00 PM UTC+8, Plain and Simple Cronan wrote:
    remove-to-e-mailMr Wolf <MrWolf@writeme.com> wrote

You changed your e-mail thingie effectively removing you from my killfile.
    Be proud. I have deemed you worthy of a response...

Usenet is not an accurate indicator of Star Trek Fan's attitudes.

Yet the producers seem to think so. They make constant reference to the internet in their various interviews. I can quote two off the top of my head(Scorpion Promo in Tv Guide and The EW article Lust in Space). There
    are others in magazines I don't read or don't have websites(Starlog, Communicator, etc)

Most fans who watch have no problem with the show and thus never feel compelled to discuss it on the usenet, and some who might wish to are discouraged by the lack of 'mature' discussion about Voyager on the
    board and thus become disillusioned like Starcrol who thinks this is
    more a place where unpleasent arguments occur rather than intelectual discussions of Voyager.

Most fans(60 odd % and rising) would disagree based upon the ratings. Voyager's ratings have dropped at a rate that would have long ago cancelled any other show. Be leave Voyager(and DS9( in the form of en masse. A
    trekkie exodus if you will that is continuing. The tremendous ratings of Scorpion part 2 were a fluke. The next episode's ratings DROPPED so hard I felt the Earth move(and so did the producers). The pissed off attiture ellicited by several people(myself chief among them can in no way be said
    to exist solely on these NGs

Even the lowest rated episodes of Voyager have millions of viewers and there are only a few dozen poster to this board at any time.

Wrong. I counted 400 posts on Dejanews by different posters. That is about how many Nielson families tuned in for Voyager to account for the millions you mention.

Those
    who wish to complain about the show are more likely to post than those
    who have no quarrel with the status quo.

So many people have gotten sick of the status quo that they have simply stopped complaining and moved on. They, not having my ability to find the abject stupidty of others entertaining, have started watching things like
    The Secret World of Alex Mack on Nick for intellectual stimulation.

Therefore it is only logical
    that this board would be over-represented with the show's detractors.

Yet here is where they turn to find out what we think....

You don't have to like it but you must accept that these NGs have come to represent Trekdom.

-- Plain and Simple Cronan, X O of the USS Megadittos <*>
    "Behold a creature greater than man. I give you...the five-assed
    monkey!" - South Park UIN: 3549400 cronan@deathsdoor.com
    See the GODFaq and learn how the universe is really run at http://gpgod.home.mindspring.com/godfaq.htm

star trek is amazing

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From havidkajeel6969@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 14 18:11:07 2018
    Chekov dies

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05