• Henry IV Parts I & II condensed into one play?

From Harold Bernum@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 20 04:27:33 2019
    A local theatre company is running Henry IV, Parts I and II as one play. I've been of two minds on this. First, yes, the condensed play can provide a more concise journey on the road to Henry V. Then again, both Parts in full
    combine to a run time of about 5 hours. That's a lot of mountain to squeeze into a cup.

It has happened before, I am sure. I remember the film "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", which condensed a massive novel into a two-hour film. Things
    had to be deleted, with other things moved around, but it still adhered to
    the spirit of the source material.

I'd like to put the question out there: has anyone seen the Henry IV plays condensed into one play in the past, and if so, how was it? Did it work?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From nexus@panix.com@21:1/5 to noemailexists@example.com on Wed Mar 20 04:17:44 2019
    In article <q6sffl$bi3$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
    Harold Bernum <noemailexists@example.com> wrote:
    I'd like to put the question out there: has anyone seen the Henry IV plays >condensed into one play in the past, and if so, how was it? Did it work?

A few years back, well, 15 I guess, Lincoln Center did it with Kevin Kline. https://www.lct.org/shows/henry-iv/

Their version essentially pulled out anything which wasn't Falstaff-related.
    I found it to be somewhat unsatisfying, although the performances were good.

As per a previous thread here on Faustus, I find some of the press about this adaptation to be a little annoying. The director is quoted as saying,
    "They are, first and foremost, among the greatest works of the stage."
    If so, then why not direct them instead of something vaguely related to them?

JB
    ------------
    Jeff Berry - http://www.aspiringluddite.com - food, musings, etc.
    "I don't need TV when I got T-Rex" - Mott the Hoople

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Harold Bernum@21:1/5 to nexus@panix.com on Wed Mar 20 14:01:24 2019
    nexus@panix.com wrote:
    Their version essentially pulled out anything which wasn't Falstaff-related. I found it to be somewhat unsatisfying, although the performances were good.

That must have been irritating. That reminds me of a review of the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels. The essential idea was that the character of Jack Sparrow was a fun character, but one that should have remained a secondary character instead of being pushed to the head of stories

Following that line, Falstaff is also a popular character, but there was
    so much more going on.

As per a previous thread here on Faustus, I find some of the press about this adaptation to be a little annoying. The director is quoted as saying,
    "They are, first and foremost, among the greatest works of the stage."
    If so, then why not direct them instead of something vaguely related to them?

Sadly, a lack of faith that people will sit through the full plays. It's strange that people have such reverence for Shakespeare's works on the one
    hand and are so easy to make these ad-hoc adaptations on the other.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John W Kennedy@21:1/5 to Harold Bernum on Wed Mar 20 13:39:12 2019
    On 3/20/19 12:27 AM, Harold Bernum wrote:
    A local theatre company is running Henry IV, Parts I and II as one play. I've been of two minds on this. First, yes, the condensed play can provide a more concise journey on the road to Henry V. Then again, both Parts in full combine to a run time of about 5 hours. That's a lot of mountain to squeeze into a cup.

It has happened before, I am sure. I remember the film "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", which condensed a massive novel into a two-hour film. Things had to be deleted, with other things moved around, but it still adhered to the spirit of the source material.

I'd like to put the question out there: has anyone seen the Henry IV plays condensed into one play in the past, and if so, how was it? Did it work?

I saw it in an indy film. But it was 20 years ago; I don’t trust my
    reaction.

For whatever it’s worth, when “Masterpiece Theatre” did “Clarissa” in three hours, I felt like a child running down a steep hill, wildly
    flapping my arms and shouting, “Help! I can’t stop!”. (For context, I
    had recently read “Clarissa”, a novel about one million words long.)

--
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres
    Nourished the land on a fallacy of rational virtue."
    -- Charles Williams. "Taliessin through Logres: Prelude"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05