• _Raccoon Princess_; _Toni Erdmann_

From septimus_millenicom@q.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 2 21:25:34 2017
    I finally got to see the recently deceased Seijun Suzuki's _Princess Raccoon_, starring Zhang Ziyi whom I haven't seen in a long time. His last film is
    every bit as insane and incomprehensible as _Tokyo Drifter_ and _Yumeji_ --
    but they are all exhilarating to experience. This one is subtitled "an operatta" and is the most stagy of the three films of his I've seen. There
    are song-and-dance numbers (but too many), sword fights, bright colors, stunning costumes, and filming in front of a stage props and backgrounds
    which get changed in real time. It is mostly a very sweet and innocent love story between the Raccoon Princess (Zhang, using Mandarin to sub-in for the Raccoon language) and some Japanese nobleman's son. It could well be that
    the copious DVD extras can shed light on the film; I look forward to seeing those.

For a while in the 2000s films with stage-like painted backgrounds were on
    the ascend. A few years before Suzuki's feature was Eric Rohmer's _Lady
    and the Duke_, starry Lucy Russell. The cinematography is very much in
    the same vein, if less colorful. I am surprised to see Russell again
    in _Toni Edrmann_ as a British ex-pat in Romania and "best friend" of
    Ines Conradi (Sandra Huller) working as a financial consultant in Bucharest. Ines is a high-stress workaholic and loner who downsizes local companies
    and outsource jobs for a living. She uses her coworkers for sex, is icy towards her subordinate Anca, and spends her free time shopping with her client's wife. She is impeccably polite and slyly strategic in manipulating and anticipating the client's business objectives. One day her hapless father (Peter Simonischek) shows up with no warning. She gives him the cold-shoulder. He surreptitiously stays behind, impersonates her client's life coach, and plays practical jokes on all her associates. The slow-boiling script
    starts predictable and springs surprises that literally startle Ines (and
    the audience) out of her seat. The climax finds Ines rediscovering some
    of her humanity and her family's wild streak. It is unclear how much she
    has changed -- in the coda she is off to Singapore with another consultant
    firm notorious for downsizing companies (McKinsey) -- but she shares a bitter-sweet moment with her father again.

Too bad Manohla Dargis didn't write the NYT review (A.O. Scott stole the assignment). Dargis has been the biggest supporter of director Maren
    Ade for years. It would have been interesting to see what she has to
    say about the very functional, far-from-flashy cinematography. The only
    film by Ade I've seen is the for-TV "Forest for the Trees," also about an awkward (but far less successful) professional woman shot in a documentary style. I should catch _Everyone Else_, about a couple on vacation, but
    hate streaming videos. Maybe I'll get the DVD some time. Ade certainly distinguishes herself as a master script-writer. Bucharest is an evocative supporting player in the film, the glitzy high rise inhabited by the
    financial types starkly contrasted with the dilapidated apartments and downright impoverished rural villages we get to see. Simonischek has the flashy role, but the uptight Huller is the real star. The icy blonde,
    not conventionally beautiful, conveys the reserve and fierce inner self awareness that Isabelle Huppert had when she was more interesting. I
    have seen Huller in an Austrian ennui exercise called _Brownian Movement_.
    The film plays like a cut-rate Gotz Speilmann, but Huller certainly makes
    it memoarble.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)