• Phoenix Comicon

From news@news.bbs.geek.nz@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 15 10:25:24 2016

On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:58:09 -0400, Cheryl Martin wrote
    (in article <alpine.DEB.2.02.1305270752130.31940@dent.deepthot>):

Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
    very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words. <<

I'll have to get around to posting my own reminiscences, but for now, I had a lurker named Ilene contact me privately to ask me to post this:

"I've been a long-time lurker in r.a.s.t.b5.mod.  The last time I posted to
    the unmoderated group was in 1995 but I don't think I ever posted to the moderated group.

"I decided to go to Phoenix Comicon because of the B5 20th anniversary.  I'm really glad I went, though I doubt I'll go to another Comicon--very large and intense.  Among the serendipitous outcomes was that I remembered going to a little con in Massachusetts years ago--it turned out to be Rebelcon in
    Taunton in July 1996.  I vaguely remembered getting Michael O'Hare's
    autograph, and I found it (personalized with my name).  So one of the
    greatest gifts I received at Comicon was something I already had, and (in
    view of the timeline discussed at Joe's Friday panel) it means more now. 
    Rick Biggs and Pat Tallman also were at Rebelcon.

"I introduced myself to a couple of newsgroup luminaries at the first B5
    panel but didn't really do any socializing.  I went to most of the B5 events and a couple of Whedon panels (no autographs or photo ops).  Saturday evening
    I started feeling like I needed a change of venue so I decided to take in the Padres-Diamondbacks game.  When the fire alarm went off on Sunday, it was almost time for me to go to the airport anyway so I took off.

"Joe is a hoot!

"Back to lurking,
    Ilene"

--
    Diligent Moderatrix

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From news@news.bbs.geek.nz@21:1/5 to zofran@deepthot.org on Wed Jun 15 10:25:24 2016

On 5/27/2013 7:42 PM, zofran@deepthot.org wrote:
    In article <ko0s4m$q2r$1@news.albasani.net>,
    Nicole Massey <nyyki@gypsyheir.com> wrote:

"Cheryl Martin" <zofran@deepthot.org> wrote in message
    news:alpine.DEB.2.02.1305270752130.31940@dent.deepthot...

Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your >>> experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,
    very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.

A shame, since I was unable to attend, so words are all I really have. I'd >> appreciate it if someone could describe the pic to me.

The pictureis of people from the newsgroup gathered in one of the panel
    rooms. It includes: Paul Hahn, John Schilling, Cheryl Martin, Charles Edmonson,
    Amy Guskin, Jay Denebeim, Caryn Dunkel, and Jan Schroeder

Cheryl

I really, really, really want a Tardis.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From news@news.bbs.geek.nz@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 15 04:04:08 2016

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 22:10:57 -0400, Nicole Massey wrote
    (in article <kom6qm$g3f$1@news.albasani.net>):

"Jay E. Morris" <morrisj@epsilon3.com> wrote in message news:kom6eg$ehv$1@dont-email.me...
    On 6/4/2013 2:12 PM, Nicole Massey wrote:
    <zofran@deepthot.org> wrote in message news:kol9r9$6bh$1@dent.deepthot... >>>> In article <0001HW.CDCBF58B001B16E1B038C9DF@news.eternal-september.org>, >>>> Amy Guskin <aisling@fjordstone.com> wrote:

Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post >>>>>> your
    experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very, >>>>>> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words. <<

I'll have to get around to posting my own reminiscences, but for now, I >>>>> had a
    lurker named Ilene contact me privately to ask me to post this:

"I've been a long-time lurker in r.a.s.t.b5.mod. The last time I posted >>>>> to
    the unmoderated group was in 1995 but I don't think I ever posted to >>>>> the
    moderated group.

snip~

"I introduced myself to a couple of newsgroup luminaries at the first >>>>> B5
    panel but didn't really do any socializing. I went to most of the B5 >>>>> events
    and a couple of Whedon panels (no autographs or photo ops). Saturday >>>>> evening
    I started feeling like I needed a change of venue so I decided to take >>>>> in
    the
    Padres-Diamondbacks game. When the fire alarm went off on Sunday, it >>>>> was
    almost time for me to go to the airport anyway so I took off.

"Joe is a hoot!

"Back to lurking,
    Ilene"

Awesome! She introduced herself to me and Jay. ~waves~ Ilene, I only
    managed to do Phoenix Comicon by making sure I can run off and hide
    when necessary. The largest con that I feel comfortable attending is
    Worldcon and even there, I still take frequent breaks from the crowds. >>>>
    Anyway, it was an amazing experience. Joe *is* a hoot. Everyone was
    so great!

Okay, since we're talking about conventions, I seem to remember JMS doing >>> a
    return prank on Peter Jurasik and one other actor in retribution for a
    prior
    thing they pulled at a convention. I can't remember their prank, and I've >>> never heard what JMS did to get them back. Can anyone enlighten me on
    these
    two points?

This one?
    http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~surak/Babylon5/marcon32/marcon4.txt

Flip down on screen.

Actually, JMS told the story in the link Sheryl posted, and yes, it's quite funny. <<

It has been interesting over the years to hear the joke script story told by Joe, by Andreas, and by Peter. They all have (had) *slightly* different interpretations of events.

Amy

--
    Diligent Moderatrix

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From news@news.bbs.geek.nz@21:1/5 to Amy Guskin on Wed Jun 15 04:04:08 2016

On 20/06/2013 13:09, Amy Guskin wrote:
    On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 22:10:57 -0400, Nicole Massey wrote
    (in article <kom6qm$g3f$1@news.albasani.net>):

"Jay E. Morris" <morrisj@epsilon3.com> wrote in message
    news:kom6eg$ehv$1@dont-email.me...
    On 6/4/2013 2:12 PM, Nicole Massey wrote:
    <zofran@deepthot.org> wrote in message news:kol9r9$6bh$1@dent.deepthot... >>>>> In article <0001HW.CDCBF58B001B16E1B038C9DF@news.eternal-september.org>, >>>>> Amy Guskin <aisling@fjordstone.com> wrote:

Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post >>>>>>> your
    experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very, >>>>>>> very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words. <<

I'll have to get around to posting my own reminiscences, but for now, I >>>>>> had a
    lurker named Ilene contact me privately to ask me to post this:

"I've been a long-time lurker in r.a.s.t.b5.mod. The last time I posted >>>>>> to
    the unmoderated group was in 1995 but I don't think I ever posted to >>>>>> the
    moderated group.

snip~

"I introduced myself to a couple of newsgroup luminaries at the first >>>>>> B5
    panel but didn't really do any socializing. I went to most of the B5 >>>>>> events
    and a couple of Whedon panels (no autographs or photo ops). Saturday >>>>>> evening
    I started feeling like I needed a change of venue so I decided to take >>>>>> in
    the
    Padres-Diamondbacks game. When the fire alarm went off on Sunday, it >>>>>> was
    almost time for me to go to the airport anyway so I took off.

"Joe is a hoot!

"Back to lurking,
    Ilene"

Awesome! She introduced herself to me and Jay. ~waves~ Ilene, I only >>>>> managed to do Phoenix Comicon by making sure I can run off and hide
    when necessary. The largest con that I feel comfortable attending is >>>>> Worldcon and even there, I still take frequent breaks from the crowds. >>>>>
    Anyway, it was an amazing experience. Joe *is* a hoot. Everyone was >>>>> so great!

Okay, since we're talking about conventions, I seem to remember JMS doing >>>> a
    return prank on Peter Jurasik and one other actor in retribution for a >>>> prior
    thing they pulled at a convention. I can't remember their prank, and I've >>>> never heard what JMS did to get them back. Can anyone enlighten me on
    these
    two points?

This one?
    http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~surak/Babylon5/marcon32/marcon4.txt

Flip down on screen.

Actually, JMS told the story in the link Sheryl posted, and yes, it's quite >> funny. <<

It has been interesting over the years to hear the joke script story told by Joe, by Andreas, and by Peter. They all have (had) *slightly* different interpretations of events.

Amy

This is Pat (Lyta) Tallman's version.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERV7fk2QmkU>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERV7fk2QmkU

Andrew Swallow

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From news@news.bbs.geek.nz@21:1/5 to Cheryl Martin on Wed Jun 15 04:04:08 2016

On Tuesday, 28 May 2013 02:58:09 UTC+12, Cheryl Martin wrote:
    Much fun, laughter, tears and hugs! If you were there, please post your

experiences! I had a wonderful time. The big reunion panel was very,

very special. And JMS' panel on Friday...there are no words.

Oh! 19 years, of course!

Sleeping in Light.

Matthew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05