• Newsgroup FAQs

From news@news.bbs.geek.nz@21:1/5 to Cheryl Martin on Wed Jun 15 04:04:08 2016

On Wednesday, 19 June 2013 02:23:28 UTC+12, Cheryl Martin wrote:
    http://fjordstone.com/rastb5mod/

It has been a while since we've posted
    the FAQs for this newsgroup. So here
    they are! Same as they have been for
    nearly 2 decades!

Yes, the rules have been fair and consistent for a long time.

Cheryl, I'm hoping to get something off my chest and clear the air with you and
    Jay. I hope I wasn't too much trouble, but I'm conscious of the fact that my persistence with several topics, going back many years, was socially inappropriate.

I have a Masters in forensic psychology, and I was accepted into the postgraduate course to train to be a clinical psychologist. I was unable to cope with the workload (which is pretty intense, like medical school), and thus
    I was unable to complete the course. Several clinical psychologists noticed my
    difficulties and referred me to a colleague for therapy and evaluation.

As a result of this process, I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, a disability which impairs my social skills. It is common for people with Aspergers to have persistent thoughts about a particular topic, especially if this has been triggered by negative personal experiences in childhood.

If what I'm saying here sounds like gibberish, that's good. I'm hoping I wasn't
    too much of a nuisance to deal with. In hindsight, I should have taken the hint faster. But since I have Aspergers, I instead read the FAQ and took it literally. The FAQ didn't say "Posts on politics, social issues or sensitive material may be rejected, at the discretion of the moderators." Obviously this is the policy, and Neurotypicals (i.e. people without Aspergers) could probably
    figure this out for themselves without needing to see it in writing in an FAQ.

Also, I believe that JMS has used Babylon 5 to address real-life social issues,
    thus my purpose in choosing a Babylon 5 newsgroup to talk about them. However,
    I now have a better understanding of why you might pre-emptively reject posts on certain topics in order to avoid me provoking a flame war, or triggering other readers with sensitive material. I inadvertently put you in a difficult position, and you handled it as best you could.

Okay, this post is long enough now. Just wanted to get this off my chest. I'll try really hard to do better from now on.

Kind regards,
    Matthew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From news@news.bbs.geek.nz@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 15 04:04:08 2016

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:14:22 -0400, Andrew Swallow wrote
    (in article <D4SdnWhjB9YHIl3MnZ2dnUVZ8l2dnZ2d@bt.com>):

On 18/06/2013 15:23, Cheryl Martin wrote:

It has been a while since we've posted the FAQs for this newsgroup. So
    here they are! Same as they have been for neary 2 decades!

Cheryl

Possibly but I cannot see them. <<

Andrew, they are definitely there ‹ I've just had a look. Are you still
    unable to see them?

Amy

--
    Diligent Moderatrix

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Swallow@21:1/5 to news@news.bbs.geek.nz on Wed Jun 15 06:29:58 2016
    On 14/06/2016 19:04, news@news.bbs.geek.nz wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:14:22 -0400, Andrew Swallow wrote
    (in article <D4SdnWhjB9YHIl3MnZ2dnUVZ8l2dnZ2d@bt.com>):

On 18/06/2013 15:23, Cheryl Martin wrote:

It has been a while since we've posted the FAQs for this newsgroup. So
    here they are! Same as they have been for neary 2 decades!

Cheryl

Possibly but I cannot see them. <<

Andrew, they are definitely there I've just had a look. Are you still
    unable to see them?

Amy

I can now read the newsgroup webpage at

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05