• Section 702 Reauthorized and Expanded

From BTR1701@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 25 17:57:28 2024
    America lost something important today and hardly anyone heard. The headlines of the state-aligned media screech and crow about the nefarious designs of
    your fellow citizens and the necessity of foreign wars without end but find
    few words for a crime against the Constitution. This is the government the Founders warned us about.

Elizabeth Goitein (@LizaGoitein):

It's over (for now). A majority of senators caved to the fearmongering and
    bush league tactics of the administration and surveillance hawks in Congress and they sold out Americans' civil liberties. Section 702 has been reauthorized, not just without any meaningful reforms, but with "one of the most dramatic and terrifying expansions of government surveillance authority
    in history," as Senator Ron Wyden aptly described it.

It is nothing short of mind-boggling that 58 senators voted to keep this Orwellian power in the bill. The provision effectively grants the NSA access
    to the communications equipment of almost any U.S. business, plus huge numbers of organizations and individuals. It's a gift to any president who may wish to spy on political enemies, journalists, ideological opponents, really just
    about anyone.

The administration and intelligence committee leaders buried senators in a morass of misleading and, in some cases, flatly false statements throughout
    the week. I think of myself as pretty jaded, and I was still genuinely shaken by how many lies I heard.

This is a shameful moment in the history of the United States Congress. It's a shameful moment for this administration, as well. But ultimately, it's the American people who pay the price for this sort of thing. And sooner or later, we will.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)