• OT: New Asian-American Muppet and more

From Lenona@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 16 09:56:45 2021
    I think it was Jimmy Fallon who joked "and what races are the other Muppets supposed to be?"

When I first heard Sesame Street's announcement, I thought the same, until I remembered the "black" Muppet from 50 years ago - Roosevelt Franklin. (He was actually kind of purple, but somehow, as a kid, I didn't see that.)

As it happens, there's a fascinating article about RF - from 2013!

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2013/08/14/franklin-bashed-whatever-happened-to-the-first-black-muppet

By Steve Schneider.

Quote:

...A few weeks ago, I was engaging in one of my favorite pastimes: scouring the Web for pop-culture detritus while convincing myself I’m working. On this particular day, I came across a picture of the aforementioned hand puppet, and I felt deeply
    disoriented. As far as I could recall, Roosevelt Franklin hadn’t been merchandised like the other Sesame Street characters. In my memory, he was just an underappreciated also-ran – an even more obscure cousin to Charles Schulz’s similarly monikered
    Franklin.

Clicking further, I learned just how wrong I had been. According to Muppet Wiki, Roosevelt Franklin had initially been considered one of the show’s main characters. As such, he had been present and accounted for on store shelves, right alongside the
    Cookie Monster and Ernie and Bert. In fact, his 1971 record album, the wonderfully named The Year of Roosevelt Franklin, was the first Sesame Street LP devoted entirely to a single character.

Yet within a few seasons, he would be gone from the show. What happened? As it turns out, Roosevelt Franklin was just too black. Or too white. Or something. Nobody could seem to decide – and to some degree, maybe they still can’t.

Some parents’ groups, it’s said, were put off by the character’s supposedly unruly behavior. Certainly, Roosevelt Franklin was an energetic little guy, prone to busting into joyous rhymes and physical contortions while imparting one of his
    impassioned life lessons...

(snip)

I remember at least three sketches from "Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School." Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ehFz4OPn0Q

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Your Name@21:1/5 to Lenona on Wed Nov 17 09:10:42 2021
    On 2021-11-16 17:56:45 +0000, Lenona said:

I think it was Jimmy Fallon who joked "and what races are the other
    Muppets supposed to be?"

I don't know about the race, but Ernie is orange, so maybe he's meant
    to be a young Donald Trump. ;-)

You also have to wonder what species Elmo and Oscar are.

Then there are talking frogs, pigs, dogs, etc. ... must completely
    confuse kids when they find there aren't any in the real world.

When I first heard Sesame Street's announcement, I thought the same,
    until I remembered the "black" Muppet from 50 years ago - Roosevelt
    Franklin. (He was actually kind of purple, but somehow, as a kid, I
    didn't see that.)
    <snip>

Earlier this year Sesame Street also added two new black Muppets, which
    are black-skinned, but one has a bright purple nose and the other has a
    bright orange nose. They even specifically mention the nose as one of
    the "racial features", so does that mean all black people have purple
    or orange noses?!
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWSD2zeXl4Q>

All this moronic "Politically Correct" garbage has to stop. :-\

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)