• "Gone with the Wind"

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Bill Anderson on Sun Aug 8 21:41:04 2021
    On Sunday, February 2, 2003 at 7:44:23 PM UTC-8, Bill Anderson wrote:
    "K. Smith" wrote:
    The wind done gone! Last week, I finally saw "Gone with the Wind" in its entirely and I have to say, I'm impressed. The special effects actually hold up pretty well to today's standards. The casting was perfect.
    Scarlett O'Hara, I think, was an accidental anti-heroine. Surely she
    wasn't meant to be sympathetic? She's got to be the most imperius
    character ever created. I can only imagine audiences must have cheered
    when Gable finally got around to saying, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give
    a damn." That was the only curse word in the whole movie and it carried more power than an entire Quentin Tarrantino movie.

I don't know if I love this movie but I certainly can't stop thinking
    about it.

I'd like to hear opinions about what people thought of this grandiose movie.

I go back and forth on this one. "Gone With the Wind" was reissued when I
    was just a kid, and all my parents’ friends were talking about how they'd loved it for years. So my level of anticipation was high when my folks took me to see it, and I was not disappointed. It was one of my first *adult* films, and I was swept away by the story and the music and the Technicolor cinematography and the sheer power of the melodrama. Since then, for me,
    GWTW has pretty much defined what it means to see a "big" movie. I checked IMDB to learn what year I must have seen it for the first time. It was a theatrical release -- saw it at the now-demolished Loew's State in Memphis,
    a fabulous old converted vaudeville house. Had to be in the late 50's, 1960 at the latest. I was in Jr. High. But IMDB doesn't show a release date
    around that time. In fact, IMDB seems to indicate the first US re-release after 1939 was in 1967. That cannot be right.
    Anyway, years later, I took a date to see it -- she hated it and so did I. How could I ever have enjoyed such an overwrought potboiler? Then a few
    years ago, Ted Turner restored the print to its original glory and I watched it on television. This time I deemed it a masterpiece. And, I'm sure that someday I’ll watch it again. But frankly, I don’t know whether I’ll give a
    damn.
    --
    Bill Anderson
    I am the Mighty Favog

Guess who auditioned for the role of Scarlett?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucille_Ball#Hollywood

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Bill Anderson on Wed Dec 8 23:47:56 2021
    On Sunday, February 2, 2003 at 5:44:23 PM UTC-10, Bill Anderson wrote:
    "K. Smith" wrote:
    The wind done gone! Last week, I finally saw "Gone with the Wind" in its entirely and I have to say, I'm impressed. The special effects actually hold up pretty well to today's standards. The casting was perfect.
    a damn." That was the only curse word in the whole movie and it carried more power than an entire Quentin Tarrantino movie.

about it.

was just a kid, and all my parents’ friends were talking about how they'd loved it for years. So my level of anticipation was high when my folks took me to see it, and I was not disappointed. It was one of my first *adult* films, and I was swept away by the story and the music and the Technicolor cinematography and the sheer power of the melodrama. Since then, for me,
    GWTW has pretty much defined what it means to see a "big" movie. I checked IMDB to learn what year I must have seen it for the first time. It was a theatrical release -- saw it at the now-demolished Loew's State in Memphis,
    a fabulous old converted vaudeville house. Had to be in the late 50's, 1960 at the latest. I was in Jr. High. But IMDB doesn't show a release date
    around that time. In fact, IMDB seems to indicate the first US re-release after 1939 was in 1967. That cannot be right.
    Anyway, years later, I took a date to see it -- she hated it and so did I. How could I ever have enjoyed such an overwrought potboiler? Then a few
    years ago, Ted Turner restored the print to its original glory and I watched it on television. This time I deemed it a masterpiece. And, I'm sure that someday I’ll watch it again. But frankly, I don’t know whether I’ll give a
    damn.
    --
    Bill Anderson
    I am the Mighty Favog

(Youtube upload):

"Gone with the Wind" Psychology: Idealization, Familiarity, Honor & Toxicity

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Bill Anderson on Sun Sep 17 23:37:09 2023
    On Sunday, February 2, 2003 at 7:44:23 PM UTC-8, Bill Anderson wrote:
    "K. Smith" wrote:

about it.

damn.
    --
    Bill Anderson
    I am the Mighty Favog

(Y. upload):

"GONE WITH THE WIND Screen Tests for Female Characters"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05