• Semi-OT: Famous people who never went to high school

From Lenona@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 25 11:14:28 2021
    I was pretty surprised by some of the names. Some even became multi-millionaires!

(Most of the people listed at this site DID go to high school - but dropped out. Some got their diplomas later. I just wish the site included their birth dates.)

From the site:

"Note: Individuals leave school prior to graduation for a variety of reasons, not just the automatically assumed 'failing grades' or being a 'troublemaker.' Other reasons include a health problem, pregnancy, a need to help the family earn income, a
    tragic loss to the family, a need to care for siblings or an ailing parent, frequent relocation, war or natural catastrophe conditions in home country, unresolved problems with teachers or classmates, boredom due to education quality issues, or a desire
    to devote full time to an already established or emerging professional career. There are high-school dropouts in the membership of Mensa, the high-IQ organization. Alternative terms for "dropout" used by the military and educational institutions are "non-
    high school graduate" and "high-school nongraduate."

"While it is a fact and very important to stress that more opportunities exist for individuals who have at least a high school diploma, the names on these lists also add considerable weight to the discussion of what constitutes markers of human
    intelligence and a person's potential worth to society and historically civilization as a whole. These names represent examples of human perseverance, creativity, and in a great many instances genius. These are the most comprehensive lists ever compiled
    on this subject, but are by no means complete."

https://www.angelfire.com/stars4/lists/dropouts.html

Some of the more famous people who dropped out of ELEMENTARY school (and never got their diplomas):

George Burns
    Eddie Cantor
    Andrew Carnegie
    Charlie Chaplin
    Mark Twain
    Sir Noel Coward
    Isadora Duncan
    Maxim Gorky
    Milton Hershey
    Groucho Marx
    Claude Monet
    Sammy Davis Jr.
    Gerard Depardieu
    Andy Gibb
    Billie Holiday
    Marcus Loew
    Sophia Loren
    Rod McKuen
    Roger Miller
    Yes Montand
    Sean O'Casey
    Peel
    Sidney Poitier
    Bill "Bojangles" Robinson
    David Sarnoff
    Isaac Singer
    Red Skelton
    John Philip Sousa
    Koko Taylor
    Cornelius Vanderbilt
    Doc Watson

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lenona@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 25 11:20:05 2021
    Darn auto-correct - that should say "Pele" not "Peel"! Plus, Yves Montand.

Also, I should have written "Isaac Merrit Singer." As in, "American sewing machine inventor; self-made multimillionaire founder of 'Singer Industries,' 'I.M. Singer and Company.' "

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)