• A Perfect World (US) 1993

From wlahearn@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 1 18:57:00 2021
    Hey,

Recently, when I wrote about Clint Eastwood’s latest film, Cry, Macho, someone responded who wrote that Eastwood had made a similar road trip movie titled A Perfect World. In all honesty, I had never heard of the film. Eastwood isn’t a go-to director
    for me, although I try to see all of his films.

In this version, an escaped convict – Robert Butch Hayes played by Kevin Costner – and a kidnapped 10-year-old – named Phillip Buzz Perry and played by TJ Lowther – are high-tailing from pursuing law enforcement in a series of now-classic cars.
    The police – Chief Red Garnett, played by Clint Eastwood – and profiler Sally Gerber played by Laura Dern – along with assorted deputies and FBI agents – are following in a command post stuck inside an Airstream mobile home.

The power of the film is the interactions between the convict and the kid. It’s not an upbeat movie although it travels along as if it were. A solid movie stifled by the baggage of its time.

Directed by Clint Eastwood from a screenplay by John Lee Hancock. Cinematography by Jack N Green and music by Lennie Niehaus. Also starring Keith Szarabajka, Leo Burmester, and Bruce McGill, among others.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sol L. Siegel@21:1/5 to wlah...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 10 14:26:11 2021
    "wlah...@gmail.com" <wlahearn@gmail.com> wrote in news:99e77caa-6c27-4b6c-89e4-4ed8b140ef9bn@googlegroups.com:

Hey,

Recently, when I wrote about Clint Eastwood’s latest film, Cry,
    Macho, someone responded who wrote that Eastwood had made a similar
    road trip movie titled A Perfect World. In all honesty, I had never
    heard of the film. Eastwood isn’t a go-to director for me, although
    I try to see all of his films.

In this version, an escaped convict – Robert Butch Hayes played by
    Kevin Costner – and a kidnapped 10-year-old – named Phillip Buzz
    Perry and played by TJ Lowther – are high-tailing from pursuing law enforcement in a series of now-classic cars. The police – Chief Red Garnett, played by Clint Eastwood – and profiler Sally Gerber played
    by Laura Dern – along with assorted deputies and FBI agents – are following in a command post stuck inside an Airstream mobile home.

The power of the film is the interactions between the convict and the
    kid. It’s not an upbeat movie although it travels along as if it
    were. A solid movie stifled by the baggage of its time.

Directed by Clint Eastwood from a screenplay by John Lee Hancock. Cinematography by Jack N Green and music by Lennie Niehaus. Also
    starring Keith Szarabajka, Leo Burmester, and Bruce McGill, among
    others.

I thought the picture was something of a mess - Eastwood's eye on the
    budget, which dictates getting finished as quickly as possible, may
    have gotten the better of him here.

With 20-20 hindsight, the Eastwood picture that this seems to correspond
    most closely to, oddly enough, is Gran Torino, a more "finished" movie
    but also a more melodramatic one. In both movies, Eastwood seems most interested in exploring the connections between characters of different generations who would seem to have nothing in common.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)