• Re: DESTRY RIDES AGAIN (1939)o o

From moviePig@21:1/5 to Bill Anderson on Sat Feb 17 16:11:48 2024
    On 2/17/2024 3:28 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
    Here we are: another weekend, another lesson in movie appreciation for the 18-year-old.

Last weekend didn’t go so well. I do my best to pick not necessarily “classic“ movies so much as movies everybody of my generation has seen, movies that might conceivably come up in everyday conversation. Once I
    tried to show him BLAZING SADDLES and we didn’t get very far into it before he became extremely offended by use of the N-word and I had to turn it off.
    I certainly couldn’t justify it to him at his age. Maybe in a few years Irony will be easier for him to handle. Last week I thought I had picked something he would love, something right up his alley: FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF. Remember, my objective is not to pick “great“ movies; merely movies that are notable enough that a movie aficionado should want to know about them. It turned out that a snarky comedy about an 18-year-old high school senior skipping school maybe hit a little too close to home for him. Whatever, he was having none of it and we had to turn it off. It’s always possible he has even better taste than I give him credit for.

This week I went back to the classics and had far greater success. He loved every minute of DESTRY. Jimmy Stewart looked familiar to him: “I’ve seen that guy before.“ And then Jimmy Stewart demonstrated his Impossibly accurate six gun skills and the comment was, “He is great!“ His assessment
    of Marlene Dietrich was, “She’s really good but she isn’t actually very pretty.“ He didn’t enjoy “See what the Boys in the Back Room will Have”
    nearly as much as I did, but that’s OK. He’s allowed a mistake now and then. He was brokenhearted when the sheriff was killed, and I actually thought he was going to cry when Frenchy got shot. “Is she hit? I can’t see
    any blood! Oh no! Is she really going to die?” He was really into the story. I am beginning to think the boy instinctively knows the difference between the great movies and the lesser ones.

After it was all over and he was headed off to the computer to play his games, I just happened to have a poster of Citizen Kane displayed on the TV because I am considering it for next week. When he walked by he froze and said in awe, “That’s the dude: Harry Lime.” He’s learning.

Fwiw, I think an appreciation of CK requires some cinematic scholarship.
    (An oldie that holds up against successors is NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bill Anderson@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 17 20:28:41 2024
    Here we are: another weekend, another lesson in movie appreciation for the 18-year-old.

Last weekend didn’t go so well. I do my best to pick not necessarily “classic“ movies so much as movies everybody of my generation has seen, movies that might conceivably come up in everyday conversation. Once I
    tried to show him BLAZING SADDLES and we didn’t get very far into it before he became extremely offended by use of the N-word and I had to turn it off.
    I certainly couldn’t justify it to him at his age. Maybe in a few years
    Irony will be easier for him to handle. Last week I thought I had picked something he would love, something right up his alley: FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF. Remember, my objective is not to pick “great“ movies; merely movies that are notable enough that a movie aficionado should want to know about
    them. It turned out that a snarky comedy about an 18-year-old high school senior skipping school maybe hit a little too close to home for him.
    Whatever, he was having none of it and we had to turn it off. It’s always possible he has even better taste than I give him credit for.

This week I went back to the classics and had far greater success. He loved every minute of DESTRY. Jimmy Stewart looked familiar to him: “I’ve seen that guy before.“ And then Jimmy Stewart demonstrated his Impossibly
    accurate six gun skills and the comment was, “He is great!“ His assessment of Marlene Dietrich was, “She’s really good but she isn’t actually very pretty.“ He didn’t enjoy “See what the Boys in the Back Room will Have” nearly as much as I did, but that’s OK. He’s allowed a mistake now and then. He was brokenhearted when the sheriff was killed, and I actually
    thought he was going to cry when Frenchy got shot. “Is she hit? I can’t see any blood! Oh no! Is she really going to die?” He was really into the
    story. I am beginning to think the boy instinctively knows the difference between the great movies and the lesser ones.

After it was all over and he was headed off to the computer to play his
    games, I just happened to have a poster of Citizen Kane displayed on the TV because I am considering it for next week. When he walked by he froze and
    said in awe, “That’s the dude: Harry Lime.” He’s learning.

--
    Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Anderson@21:1/5 to moviePig on Sat Feb 17 21:16:56 2024
    moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
    Here we are: another weekend, another lesson in movie appreciation for the >> 18-year-old.

Last weekend didn’t go so well. I do my best to pick not necessarily
    “classic“ movies so much as movies everybody of my generation has seen, >> movies that might conceivably come up in everyday conversation. Once I
    tried to show him BLAZING SADDLES and we didn’t get very far into it before
    he became extremely offended by use of the N-word and I had to turn it off. >> I certainly couldn’t justify it to him at his age. Maybe in a few years
    Irony will be easier for him to handle. Last week I thought I had picked
    something he would love, something right up his alley: FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY
    OFF. Remember, my objective is not to pick “great“ movies; merely movies >> that are notable enough that a movie aficionado should want to know about
    them. It turned out that a snarky comedy about an 18-year-old high school
    senior skipping school maybe hit a little too close to home for him.
    Whatever, he was having none of it and we had to turn it off. It’s always >> possible he has even better taste than I give him credit for.

This week I went back to the classics and had far greater success. He loved >> every minute of DESTRY. Jimmy Stewart looked familiar to him: “I’ve seen >> that guy before.“ And then Jimmy Stewart demonstrated his Impossibly
    accurate six gun skills and the comment was, “He is great!“ His assessment
    of Marlene Dietrich was, “She’s really good but she isn’t actually very
    pretty.“ He didn’t enjoy “See what the Boys in the Back Room will Have”
    nearly as much as I did, but that’s OK. He’s allowed a mistake now and >> then. He was brokenhearted when the sheriff was killed, and I actually
    thought he was going to cry when Frenchy got shot. “Is she hit? I can’t see
    any blood! Oh no! Is she really going to die?” He was really into the
    story. I am beginning to think the boy instinctively knows the difference
    between the great movies and the lesser ones.

games, I just happened to have a poster of Citizen Kane displayed on the TV >> because I am considering it for next week. When he walked by he froze and

Good suggestion. I am still on the fence about Citizen Kane.

--
    Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gtr@21:1/5 to moviePig on Sun Feb 18 19:27:29 2024
    On Feb 17, 2024 at 1:11:48 PM PST, "moviePig" <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:

Here we are: another weekend, another lesson in movie appreciation for the >> 18-year-old.

Last weekend didn’t go so well. I do my best to pick not necessarily
    “classic“ movies so much as movies everybody of my generation has seen, >> movies that might conceivably come up in everyday conversation. Once I
    tried to show him BLAZING SADDLES and we didn’t get very far into it before
    he became extremely offended by use of the N-word and I had to turn it off. >> I certainly couldn’t justify it to him at his age. Maybe in a few years
    Irony will be easier for him to handle. Last week I thought I had picked
    something he would love, something right up his alley: FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY
    OFF. Remember, my objective is not to pick “great“ movies; merely movies >> that are notable enough that a movie aficionado should want to know about
    them. It turned out that a snarky comedy about an 18-year-old high school
    senior skipping school maybe hit a little too close to home for him.
    Whatever, he was having none of it and we had to turn it off. It’s always >> possible he has even better taste than I give him credit for.

This week I went back to the classics and had far greater success. He loved >> every minute of DESTRY. Jimmy Stewart looked familiar to him: “I’ve seen >> that guy before.“ And then Jimmy Stewart demonstrated his Impossibly
    accurate six gun skills and the comment was, “He is great!“ His assessment
    of Marlene Dietrich was, “She’s really good but she isn’t actually very
    pretty.“ He didn’t enjoy “See what the Boys in the Back Room will Have”
    nearly as much as I did, but that’s OK. He’s allowed a mistake now and >> then. He was brokenhearted when the sheriff was killed, and I actually
    thought he was going to cry when Frenchy got shot. “Is she hit? I can’t see
    any blood! Oh no! Is she really going to die?” He was really into the
    story. I am beginning to think the boy instinctively knows the difference
    between the great movies and the lesser ones.

games, I just happened to have a poster of Citizen Kane displayed on the TV >> because I am considering it for next week. When he walked by he froze and

Agreed!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05