• YOJIMBO (1961)

From Bill Anderson@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 20 20:19:01 2023
    Another week, another notable film for the 17-year-old. This week he told
    me that he really enjoyed SEVEN SAMURAI and he wondered if we could watch another samurai movie. Well I just happen to have a copy of YOJIMBO that I
    had never watched and I had heard great things about it, so sure, why not?

We both enjoyed it, but maybe not quite so much as SEVEN SAMURAI. Toshiro Mifuni plays a ronin, a wandering 19th century samurai with no master. He’s basically a gun for hire only he carries no firearm — just a big sword and
    a little sword which is the samurai way. (Think Clint Eastwood in A FISTFUL
    OF DOLLARS which came along two years after this film and which bears such
    a striking resemblance to it in premise and plot that one might think
    Sergio Leone did a little plagiarizing.)

You know the story: a “lone stranger” comes to town and cleans up all the corruption in high places so the decent people can live happily ever after. There’s really not much more than that to it, but it held our interest and
    we were glad we watched. There is a sequel, SANJURO, which is also supposed
    to be good. I am thinking it probably will not be next on our list, though.

--
    Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From moviePig@21:1/5 to Bill Anderson on Wed Dec 20 16:02:10 2023
    On 12/20/2023 3:19 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
    me that he really enjoyed SEVEN SAMURAI and he wondered if we could watch another samurai movie. Well I just happen to have a copy of YOJIMBO that I had never watched and I had heard great things about it, so sure, why not?

We both enjoyed it, but maybe not quite so much as SEVEN SAMURAI. Toshiro Mifuni plays a ronin, a wandering 19th century samurai with no master. He’s basically a gun for hire only he carries no firearm — just a big sword and a little sword which is the samurai way. (Think Clint Eastwood in A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS which came along two years after this film and which bears such
    a striking resemblance to it in premise and plot that one might think

You know the story: a “lone stranger” comes to town and cleans up all the corruption in high places so the decent people can live happily ever after. There’s really not much more than that to it, but it held our interest and we were glad we watched. There is a sequel, SANJURO, which is also supposed to be good. I am thinking it probably will not be next on our list, though.

You can test his mettle with another remade Kurosawa, RASHOMON...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Anderson@21:1/5 to moviePig on Thu Dec 21 03:36:25 2023
    moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
    On 12/20/2023 3:19 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
    me that he really enjoyed SEVEN SAMURAI and he wondered if we could watch
    another samurai movie. Well I just happen to have a copy of YOJIMBO that I >> had never watched and I had heard great things about it, so sure, why not? >>
    We both enjoyed it, but maybe not quite so much as SEVEN SAMURAI. Toshiro
    Mifuni plays a ronin, a wandering 19th century samurai with no master. He’s
    basically a gun for hire only he carries no firearm — just a big sword and >> a little sword which is the samurai way. (Think Clint Eastwood in A FISTFUL >> OF DOLLARS which came along two years after this film and which bears such >> a striking resemblance to it in premise and plot that one might think

You know the story: a “lone stranger” comes to town and cleans up all the
    corruption in high places so the decent people can live happily ever after. >> There’s really not much more than that to it, but it held our interest and >> we were glad we watched. There is a sequel, SANJURO, which is also supposed >> to be good. I am thinking it probably will not be next on our list, though.

You can test his mettle with another remade Kurosawa, RASHOMON...

Maybe someday. I found RASHOMON fascinating, unforgettable. But at least
    one other person whose opinion I respect absolutely hated it. “They all saw the same thing but they all described it differently. That’s just stupid!“ And no amount of arguing from me changed her mind. I think the kid probably isn’t ready for it yet. But yeah, it’s a great movie.

--
    Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05