• Re: All Quiet On The Western Front ( TVM 1979 )

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to neo...@webtv.net on Wed Sep 21 00:24:31 2022
    On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 12:52:24 PM UTC-8, neo...@webtv.net wrote:
    Fairly long film is easier to take than the 1930 version. From that one the souped up teacher was memorable but I prefer the more layed back approach to battle presented in this version..less melodramatic. Richard Thomas is acceptable in the lead role,
    Ernest Borgnine good as the old hand of the platoon. Never felt the participants to be German but the spirit of the situation does come through.
    Photographed in a manner not to engender suspense or horror or squalor I still was able to sense the POV of the novel in that wars are something inflicted on the common man.
    While never " graphic " there's enough of a sense of death and dying to get its points across. 7-/10 4 more years nots

Remake:

https://collider.com/all-quiet-on-the-western-front-ed-berger-albrecht-schuch-interview-tiff/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to neo...@webtv.net on Sun Nov 13 00:27:28 2022
    On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 12:52:24 PM UTC-8, neo...@webtv.net wrote:
    Fairly long film is easier to take than the 1930 version. From that one the souped up teacher was memorable but I prefer the more layed back approach to battle presented in this version..less melodramatic. Richard Thomas is acceptable in the lead role,
    Ernest Borgnine good as the old hand of the platoon. Never felt the participants to be German but the spirit of the situation does come through.
    Photographed in a manner not to engender suspense or horror or squalor I still was able to sense the POV of the novel in that wars are something inflicted on the common man.
    While never " graphic " there's enough of a sense of death and dying to get its points across. 7-/10 4 more years nots

https://www.thearticle.com/best-war-film-for-years-all-quiet-on-the-western-front

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)