• Re: Shane

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 5 19:23:05 2022
    On Friday, April 25, 2003 at 8:52:28 PM UTC-7, Endy9 wrote:
    I finally caught this last night on AMC. Great movie. I give it **** out
    of five stars.
    Alan Ladd and Van Heflin were fantastic. Ben Johnson, Emile Meyer, Elisha Cook, Brandon De Wilde and Jean Arthur were also strong. Really good cast.
    I loved the sutblety at the beginning. Not a lot of narration type talk to explain. The viewer is left to figure things out. I also liked the "darkness". Like the scene where Shane helps with the stump like he and Joe are exorcising a demon together. The scene and score just seemed ominus to me.
    I wasn't that impressed with Jack Palance's character. I expected more. He just didn't seem very sinister to me.
    Also liked how the writer attempted to make the audience feel sympathy for Ryker after first setting him us as the "bad" guy.
    The moral dilemnas were very effective. If there is no law around and I
    have someone threathening me who I cannot beat in a fair gunfight, do I have the right to take them out first some other way. I know this wasn't
    presented in the film, but the Jack Wilson character made me think of "what would I do" in the same situation. I like films that encourage one to
    examine themself deeply.
    How come it seems like in older films, 50s and earlier little kids in movies were less annoying. Seems like in modern films kids get on your nerves very quickly where you want some bad guy to wipe them out just to shut them up? <shrug> I just never was annoyed by this kid, the one in the Gregory Peck, Yearling movie, or even Shirley Temple. But the kid in Indiana Jones and
    the Temple of Doom, Problem Child, Dutch, etc. make me want to strangle them myself.
    --
    Dennis/Endy
    ~Dancing us from darkest night is the rhythm of love
    Powered on by the beating of hearts~ -XTC http://home.attbi.com/~phleblori1/endy9/index.htm
    --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFUBDjM2AEo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)