• Dynaco FM3 T72

From Peter Wieck@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 18 04:49:44 2020
    I am looking for a T72 stereo discriminator can for a Dynaco FM3 - this is the short can that lives on the MPX board. The one in the unit I am restoring has a shattered slug that has divided into six (6) pieces that have molded themselves to the coil. I
    do not want to junk the entire beast if I can find that can elsewhere.

Please contact me at p f j w at a o l dot com - remove the spaces, etc.

Naturally, I will pay a reasonable cost + shipping.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to Peter Wieck on Sat Apr 18 07:54:58 2020
    On 2020/04/18 4:49 a.m., Peter Wieck wrote:
    I am looking for a T72 stereo discriminator can for a Dynaco FM3 - this is the short can that lives on the MPX board. The one in the unit I am restoring has a shattered slug that has divided into six (6) pieces that have molded themselves to the coil.
    I do not want to junk the entire beast if I can find that can elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

Any chance you can remove the old ferrite core chips, drill/carve out
    the plastic core, and build a replacement thread?

I'm thinking along the lines of coring out the original threaded body
    and using (perhaps) epoxy and a long threaded bolt of the same gauge,
    liberally greased so it doesn't stick to the epoxy, to shape a
    replacement threaded core.

Then find a suitable ferrite core...

John :-#)#

--
    (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
    (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
    www.flippers.com
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Wieck@21:1/5 to John Robertson on Sat Apr 18 08:35:50 2020
    On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 10:55:05 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:

John:

I would engage at that level after I find a drop-in - which seems to have happened. I have often fabricated parts for equipment, and/or taken apart switches and so forth to make internal parts. I do keep a small stock of spring bronze and such along
    those lines. As to a ferrite core, If I can get the old one out cleanly, I will start along those lines surely. Note that the core is split into six vertical sections such that the alignment tool goes right through to the bottom without engaging. Dental-
    pick time once the can is out.

This particular FM3 had only one (1) virtue - a complete set of tubes and shields. The faceplate was filthy, the knobs crusted, the sheet-metal rusted and the boards covered with a hellish combination of nicotine and grease. Given what I paid for it - a
    dive into a dumpster - I figured I would keep it around for parts. Now that I am looking to fill the day, I have decided to give it a go for restoration, they are not making any more of them.

Cleaning took the full-monte - brake cleaner, ammonia spray and the dishwasher (x2). If I get it to behave properly, I will then deal with the sheet-metal.

I have gone through the alignment up to the stereo discriminator, it receives! So there is hope.

(PAM is a great release agent for the method you suggest - thank you for the idea!)

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Robertson@21:1/5 to Peter Wieck on Sat Apr 18 10:07:23 2020
    On 2020/04/18 8:35 a.m., Peter Wieck wrote:
    On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 10:55:05 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:

John:

I would engage at that level after I find a drop-in - which seems to have happened. I have often fabricated parts for equipment, and/or taken apart switches and so forth to make internal parts. I do keep a small stock of spring bronze and such along
    those lines. As to a ferrite core, If I can get the old one out cleanly, I will start along those lines surely. Note that the core is split into six vertical sections such that the alignment tool goes right through to the bottom without engaging. Dental-
    pick time once the can is out.

This particular FM3 had only one (1) virtue - a complete set of tubes and shields. The faceplate was filthy, the knobs crusted, the sheet-metal rusted and the boards covered with a hellish combination of nicotine and grease. Given what I paid for it -
    a dive into a dumpster - I figured I would keep it around for parts. Now that I am looking to fill the day, I have decided to give it a go for restoration, they are not making any more of them.

Cleaning took the full-monte - brake cleaner, ammonia spray and the dishwasher (x2). If I get it to behave properly, I will then deal with the sheet-metal.

I have gone through the alignment up to the stereo discriminator, it receives! So there is hope.

(PAM is a great release agent for the method you suggest - thank you for the idea!)

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

Don't a few of the surplus places have bags of ferrite cores?

Or am I thinking of the 60s...

John ;-#)#

--
    (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
    John's Jukes Ltd.
    MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
    (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
    www.flippers.com
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Terrell@21:1/5 to Peter Wieck on Sat Apr 18 11:30:24 2020
    On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 7:49:45 AM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:
    I am looking for a T72 stereo discriminator can for a Dynaco FM3 - this is the short can that lives on the MPX board. The one in the unit I am restoring has a shattered slug that has divided into six (6) pieces that have molded themselves to the coil.
    I do not want to junk the entire beast if I can find that can elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Peter, can you find a similar transformer from another radio that isn't worth fixing? That circuit doesn't vary a lot, so the hardest part would finding one with the same form factor. I have extra cores, but I can't get to them right now. After the
    work is finished on my house to make it more handicap accessible, I will be able to get to them. If it doesn't slip my tired mind I will send you some.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Wieck@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 24 07:26:44 2020
    Sorry for the unconscionable delay in this reply.

I have found a T72 from a fellow Dynaco fan, and it should arrive some time next week. Whereupon I will remove the bad one, clean it out, form a new thread if necessary - hopefully based on the original thread, and then send you the thread-former (
    Machine screw) for matching. Should I be able to get the old bits out without further damage, that is.

Wish me luck, and thanks for the offer!

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05