• Coronado dial calibration way off

From Kurt Draper@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 23 13:57:16 2020
    Hi, I am Kurt. this is my first post here. I have a Coronado am/fm 7 tube radio model 46-RA 85762-A. The number on the chassis is 6A85 113145. I can’t find a schematic for it. I look in through Coronado, Airline, Belmont & Wells Gardner. Not sure who
    manufactured it, but the manner the numbers are stamped on the back of the chassis are the same as other Wells Gardner Airlines in my collection. I recapped it replaced some resistors and cleaned the controls. It is excellent on am, decent on fm but the
    dial pointer is way off. Local station 96.9 comes in on 95 & 840 am comes in at 910. The only trimmers I see are on the tuning capacitor. Adjusting them makes the signal louder or weaker but the stations don’t move. Moving the pointer isn’t an option
    because there off in opposite directions. Any help on how to get it closer is greatly appreciated. Thanks Kurt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Terrell@21:1/5 to Kurt Draper on Sun Feb 23 16:40:42 2020
    On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 4:57:17 PM UTC-5, Kurt Draper wrote:
    Hi, I am Kurt. this is my first post here. I have a Coronado am/fm 7 tube radio model 46-RA 85762-A. The number on the chassis is 6A85 113145. I can’t find a schematic for it. I look in through Coronado, Airline, Belmont & Wells Gardner. Not sure
    who manufactured it, but the manner the numbers are stamped on the back of the chassis are the same as other Wells Gardner Airlines in my collection. I recapped it replaced some resistors and cleaned the controls. It is excellent on am, decent on fm but
    the dial pointer is way off. Local station 96.9 comes in on 95 & 840 am comes in at 910. The only trimmers I see are on the tuning capacitor. Adjusting them makes the signal louder or weaker but the stations don’t move. Moving the pointer isn’t an
    option because there off in opposite directions. Any help on how to get it closer is greatly appreciated. Thanks Kurt

Is the Local Oscillator coil damaged, or covered in bad wax that has adsorbed a lot of moisture?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Gonzalez@21:1/5 to terrell....@gmail.com on Mon Sep 20 09:00:52 2021
    On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 6:40:43 PM UTC-6, terrell....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 4:57:17 PM UTC-5, Kurt Draper wrote:
    Hi, I am Kurt. this is my first post here. I have a Coronado am/fm 7 tube radio model 46-RA 85762-A. The number on the chassis is 6A85 113145. I can’t find a schematic for it. I look in through Coronado, Airline, Belmont & Wells Gardner. Not sure
    who manufactured it, but the manner the numbers are stamped on the back of the chassis are the same as other Wells Gardner Airlines in my collection. I recapped it replaced some resistors and cleaned the controls. It is excellent on am, decent on fm but
    the dial pointer is way off. Local station 96.9 comes in on 95 & 840 am comes in at 910. The only trimmers I see are on the tuning capacitor. Adjusting them makes the signal louder or weaker but the stations don’t move. Moving the pointer isn’t an
    option because there off in opposite directions. Any help on how to get it closer is greatly appreciated. Thanks Kurt
    Is the Local Oscillator coil damaged, or covered in bad wax that has adsorbed a lot of moisture?

That's often due to dustr or grease on the tuning capacitor plates. Radios that were in the kitchen often got really greasy inside. Turned on during making breakfast, and they were virtual convection fans dragging in bacon grease. You might try a
    generous amount of Brake Parts Cleaner on the tuning cap.

That certainly applies to the AM band problem, but the FM issue seems to be the opposite-- maybe the FM oscillator coil needs to be squeezed a bit tighter?? Dunno. These things are often mysteries. Longago I had a BC-221 frequency meter, WW2 vintage.
    The main coil had somehow, inexplicably, lost some inductance. This is a silver-plated wire tightly wound on a toothed ceramic form, so thr coil moving sounds unlikely. I ended up having to place a very small ferrite tuning slug in the middle of the
    coil to get the frequency readings to match the codebook. BTW does anyone know that Philco made a digital frequency counter in 1940 just to automatically print these codebooks, one for each BC-221?? ? Amazing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05