• As the saying goes, flogging a dead horse

From Gordon@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 23 01:34:57 2023
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/301031923/sometimes-you-lose-labour-leader-chris-hipkins-reflects-on-2023

"Two months on from Labour's election-night shellacking, leader Chris Hipkins still cannot pinpoint what the party could have done differently during the campaign to win."

This I agree with. Having gone so far down the wrong road for so long, on so many matters at such speed, there was campaign which could have Labour
    winning.

It is the Goverment's last term which voters are voting on, not the campgain speeches and photo opotunities. Espically if there are serious options on
    the table.

I note that the words three waters and co-governace do not appear in the article.

However we do have a hint of truth dawning upon the Labour Party

"The story of Labour's crushing defeat has many potential starting points, whether the end of the Covid-19 elimination strategy, the lengthy Auckland lockdown, the climb of interest rates, or increasing profile of crime."

Let us hope that with time they fully understand the lesson(s) from this
    recent history.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Gordon on Sat Dec 23 02:42:06 2023
    Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/301031923/sometimes-you-lose-labour-leader-chris-hipkins-reflects-on-2023

"Two months on from Labour's election-night shellacking, leader Chris Hipkins >still cannot pinpoint what the party could have done differently during the >campaign to win."

This I agree with. Having gone so far down the wrong road for so long, on so >many matters at such speed, there was campaign which could have Labour >winning.

It is the Goverment's last term which voters are voting on, not the campgain >speeches and photo opotunities. Espically if there are serious options on
    the table.

I note that the words three waters and co-governace do not appear in the >article.

"The story of Labour's crushing defeat has many potential starting points, >whether the end of the Covid-19 elimination strategy, the lengthy Auckland >lockdown, the climb of interest rates, or increasing profile of crime."

Let us hope that with time they fully understand the lesson(s) from this >recent history.
    Yes, but let it not be for nearly 9 years which is how long (at least) that it will take to fix the damage that Labour has done here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Crash@21:1/5 to Gordon on Sat Dec 23 21:33:03 2023
    On 23 Dec 2023 01:34:57 GMT, Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/301031923/sometimes-you-lose-labour-leader-chris-hipkins-reflects-on-2023

"Two months on from Labour's election-night shellacking, leader Chris Hipkins >still cannot pinpoint what the party could have done differently during the >campaign to win."

Correct. Labour could not campaign on their record.

This I agree with. Having gone so far down the wrong road for so long, on so >many matters at such speed, there was campaign which could have Labour >winning.

It is the Goverment's last term which voters are voting on, not the campgain >speeches and photo opotunities. Espically if there are serious options on
    the table.

I note that the words three waters and co-governace do not appear in the >article.

I noted the same. The article was not about what Labour brought into
    the election campaign. It was about what Hipkins could bring to the
    election campaign to mitigate Labour's record in office - not enough.

Ms Ardern saw that about December last year. It was the reason for
    her 'empty tank'.

"The story of Labour's crushing defeat has many potential starting points, >whether the end of the Covid-19 elimination strategy, the lengthy Auckland >lockdown, the climb of interest rates, or increasing profile of crime."

He Puapua - the genesis of Co-Governance even more so. Labour passed
    the legislation so it was not something that Hipkins could toss on his
    'policy bonfire' (also not mentioned in the article).

Let us hope that with time they fully understand the lesson(s) from this >recent history.

I hope Hipkins comes to understand that there is no 'blank page'.
    Perhaps what he meant was that it is time for Labour to turn the page
    on the Ardern legacy and move on. Don't ever think that major
    unannounced and unexplained initiatives such as co-governance the
    prove unpopular will work in the future.

--
    Crash McBash

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05