• Solar panels placement, on the water

From Gordon@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 5 21:56:27 2023
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/132682193/how-to-double-the-countrys-power-no-land-required

This is one of Stuffs better articles, gives the pros and cons.

NZ needs to sort out what are the rules where they could be placed. I can
    not see boaties/fisher people being relaxed with large areas of the lake covered.

Also the matter of not respecting the water way/lake.

The estimate that this could generate 38TWh of the 39TWh per year. So if
    this turns out to be feasable we are going to need many huge batteries.

I wonder how they perform in a good storm, after all the climate cahange
    folks tell us the the storms are getting more extreme.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Bowes@21:1/5 to Gordon on Sat Aug 5 21:24:23 2023
    On Sunday, August 6, 2023 at 9:56:31 AM UTC+12, Gordon wrote:
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/132682193/how-to-double-the-countrys-power-no-land-required

NZ needs to sort out what are the rules where they could be placed. I can not see boaties/fisher people being relaxed with large areas of the lake covered.

The estimate that this could generate 38TWh of the 39TWh per year. So if this turns out to be feasable we are going to need many huge batteries.

I wonder how they perform in a good storm, after all the climate cahange folks tell us the the storms are getting more extreme.

Geothermal is still a much better option. Solar panels are good for almost 25 years. Then they're only any good for landfill. Several countries that have been using solar/wind are now finding their landfills aren't handling the remains. Some bits can be
    recycled but not the panels themselves or in the case with wind the turbine blades which are in most cases carbon fibre...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Gordon on Sun Aug 6 20:50:30 2023
    Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/132682193/how-to-double-the-countrys-power-no-land-required

NZ needs to sort out what are the rules where they could be placed. I can
    not see boaties/fisher people being relaxed with large areas of the lake >covered.

The estimate that this could generate 38TWh of the 39TWh per year. So if
    this turns out to be feasable we are going to need many huge batteries.

I wonder how they perform in a good storm, after all the climate cahange >folks tell us the the storms are getting more extreme.
    Storage is the key, and always has been really. Hydro relies on storage also. Maybe hydro lakes are the place.
    However the stuff that is used in these panels is not all that easy to recover when the panels start to fail.
    No such thing as a free lunch eh?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05