• Re: Waiting until the penny drops

From Tony@21:1/5 to Gordon on Sat Jul 29 22:04:19 2023
    Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings,
    scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and where >to charge your EV, and scooter.
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making decisions. The entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is little to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Gordon@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 29 21:49:03 2023
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and where
    to charge your EV, and scooter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich80105@21:1/5 to lizandtony@orcon.net.nz on Sun Jul 30 10:53:02 2023
    On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Tony
    <lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and where >>to charge your EV, and scooter.
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making decisions. The >entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations
    manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are
    used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes –
    had been the cause of a number of fires."

Of course selling these devices is a money making deal - what on earth
    do you expect in a free market economy? Perhaps you want to go back to
    your ideal dreamland when Muldoon was PM - permits limited what you
    could import, with decisions made by government. So Tony, what is
    your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution
    that a young person could keep in his city apartment?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Bowes@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 29 16:01:56 2023
    On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 10:57:30 AM UTC+12, Rich80105 wrote:
    <lizan...@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gor...@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and where
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making decisions. The
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.
    From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes –

Another stupid political piece of bullshit from a classic bullshitter! The whole deal has been pushed by imbeciles like Red Rich80105 without bothering to look at the consequences or plan for them! Typical left whinge freedom and women's right haters!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Bowes@21:1/5 to Gordon on Sat Jul 29 15:59:10 2023
    On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 9:49:06 AM UTC+12, Gordon wrote:
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and where to charge your EV, and scooter.
    The whole EV campaign in NZ has been a typical Labour balls up! Instead of putting more money into 24/7 energy production they bribed people to buy EV vehicles. That money should have gone into geothermal plants NOT solar and wind that'll start filling
    our landfill in twenty odd years! Intereting that imbeciles like Red Rich80105 blindly supports it because his communist government lied about how good they were!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Rich80105@hotmail.com on Sat Jul 29 23:13:54 2023
    Rich80105 <Rich80105@hotmail.com> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and where >>>to charge your EV, and scooter.
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making decisions. The >>entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is >>little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >>Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >>vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are
    Wow, you can read!
    Exactly what hopeless point are you trying to make.

do you expect in a free market economy?
    You have totally missed the point - no surprise there.
    Perhaps you want to go back to
    your ideal dreamland when Muldoon was PM
    Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of him. Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man (I met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no surprise there either.
    - permits limited what you
    Off topic.
    The topic is about the dangers of EV batteries.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political trhetoric?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich80105@21:1/5 to lizandtony@orcon.net.nz on Sun Jul 30 11:29:08 2023
    On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:13:54 -0000 (UTC), Tony

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and where
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is >>>little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >>>Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >>>vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are
    Wow, you can read!

Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of him. >Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man (I >met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no surprise >there either.
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political >trhetoric?
    The cheap transport solution used an EV battery - so I was very much
    on topic. Yes EV Batteries can be dangerous. The question is whether
    you believe anything should be done about it, and if so what?

And to go back to our political confusion, here is an article about
    current confusion within the Republican Party in the USA - a bit like
    the differences between our two furthest right parties - CT and
    National. https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Rich80105@hotmail.com on Sat Jul 29 23:55:24 2023

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and >>>>>where
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making decisions. >>>>The
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is >>>>little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >>>>Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >>>>vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are >>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes –
    Wow, you can read!

Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of him. >>Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man (I >>met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no surprise >>there either.
    your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political >>trhetoric?
    My comments to the original post clearly state my concern. Mankind should pause the headlong rush to EVs until the safety issues are addressed, that is obvious and I am not surprised that you failed to understand that.

National. >https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594
    Definitely off topic. You shoud seek help to fix your admitted political confusion. I am not in any way politically confused, I don't care about politics other than it is a source of constant amusement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich80105@21:1/5 to lizandtony@orcon.net.nz on Sun Jul 30 13:15:35 2023
    On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:55:24 -0000 (UTC), Tony

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and >>>>>>where
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making decisions. >>>>>The
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is >>>>>little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >>>>>Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >>>>>vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are >>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes –
    Wow, you can read!

Of course selling these devices is a money making deal - what on earth >>>>do you expect in a free market economy?
    Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of him. >>>Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man (I >>>met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no surprise >>>there either.
    could import, with decisions made by government. So Tony, what is >>>>your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political >>>trhetoric?
    My comments to the original post clearly state my concern. Mankind should pause
    the headlong rush to EVs until the safety issues are addressed, that is obvious
    and I am not surprised that you failed to understand that.

I do not see a headlong rush - and what evidence do you have that EVs
    are any more dangerous than Hybrids or Petrol or Diesel vehicles?

National. >>https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594
    Definitely off topic. You shoud seek help to fix your admitted political >confusion. I am not in any way politically confused, I don't care about >politics other than it is a source of constant amusement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Rich80105@hotmail.com on Sun Jul 30 01:57:53 2023

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and >>>>>>>where
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making decisions. >>>>>>The
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is >>>>>>little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >>>>>>Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >>>>>>vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>>manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are >>>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes – >>>>>had been the cause of a number of fires."
    Wow, you can read!

Of course selling these devices is a money making deal - what on earth >>>>>do you expect in a free market economy?
    Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of >>>>him.
    Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man >>>>(I
    met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no surprise >>>>there either.
    could import, with decisions made by government. So Tony, what is >>>>>your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political >>>>trhetoric?
    My comments to the original post clearly state my concern. Mankind should >>pause
    the headlong rush to EVs until the safety issues are addressed, that is >>obvious

Of course there is a headlong rush forced partly by governments and lovingly picked up by manufacturers before the supply chain of electricity has been sorted out. And before we have an understanding of the true ecological cost of EVs, which could be at least as high as petrol/diesel vehicles.
    I didn't say they were more dangerous than petrol of diesel vehicles but those two are old enough that we know how to manage the risks. Obviously we don't know how to manage EV risks otherwise we would not be having these fires.
    So even someone with no understanding of the technology can see that we have added some risks and I maintain we have done so at too high a speed. That is so simple that I am surprised you don't see it (oh, actually I am not all that surprised).
    And hybrids are EVs of course.

And to go back to our political confusion, here is an article about >>>current confusion within the Republican Party in the USA - a bit like
    National. >>>https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594
    Definitely off topic. You shoud seek help to fix your admitted political >>confusion. I am not in any way politically confused, I don't care about >>politics other than it is a source of constant amusement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich80105@21:1/5 to lizandtony@orcon.net.nz on Sun Jul 30 14:50:20 2023
    On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 01:57:53 -0000 (UTC), Tony

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:13:54 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and >>>>>>>>where
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making decisions.
    The
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is >>>>>>>little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges.
    Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >>>>>>>vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>>>manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are >>>>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes – >>>>>>had been the cause of a number of fires."
    Wow, you can read!

Of course selling these devices is a money making deal - what on earth >>>>>>do you expect in a free market economy?
    Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of >>>>>him.
    Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man >>>>>(I
    met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no surprise
    there either.
    could import, with decisions made by government. So Tony, what is >>>>>>your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>>>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political >>>>>trhetoric?
    on topic. Yes EV Batteries can be dangerous. The question is whether >>>>you believe anything should be done about it, and if so what?
    My comments to the original post clearly state my concern. Mankind should >>>pause
    the headlong rush to EVs until the safety issues are addressed, that is >>>obvious

Of course there is a headlong rush forced partly by governments and lovingly >picked up by manufacturers before the supply chain of electricity has been >sorted out. And before we have an understanding of the true ecological cost of >EVs, which could be at least as high as petrol/diesel vehicles.
    I didn't say they were more dangerous than petrol of diesel vehicles but those >two are old enough that we know how to manage the risks. Obviously we don't >know how to manage EV risks otherwise we would not be having these fires.
    So even someone with no understanding of the technology can see that we have >added some risks and I maintain we have done so at too high a speed. That is so
    simple that I am surprised you don't see it (oh, actually I am not all that >surprised).
    Hybrids are also petrol or diesel driven as well - a higher risk using
    your logic! EV Battery failures are sufficiently novel that they do
    get news articles - and fair enough when someone was injured, but a
    lot of car crashes do involve either actual or potential for fire;
    they tend not to be reported.

But it is still not clear what you are really advocating for - at
    present you seem to be having a general whinge with nothing specific
    about what you think should happen, just a general elderly type whinge
    that the world has these new dangers that I do not understand and
    please can somebody stop the change because they just confuse. That
    may misrepresent your argument of course, but just what you want to
    happen is certainly unclear. So how about you get out of your whinging
    mode and set out just what you want to happen, and why. Then think
    about whether you agree with Seymour who would say that if you are
    going to stop a business there should be compensation . . .

You just come across as anti-business. For this recent event, it does
    appear that the owner may not have been using the product in
    accordance with manufacturers instructions - should we stop all
    vehicles because someone may be killed by not driving carefully
    tomorrow? And yes that is an exaggeration - but at present you are
    somewhere between a simple whinge and being dangerously anti-business,
    anti- development and anti freedom.

And to go back to our political confusion, here is an article about >>>>current confusion within the Republican Party in the USA - a bit like >>>>the differences between our two furthest right parties - CT and >>>>National. >>>>https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594
    Definitely off topic. You shoud seek help to fix your admitted political >>>confusion. I am not in any way politically confused, I don't care about >>>politics other than it is a source of constant amusement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gordon@21:1/5 to Rich80105@hotmail.com on Sun Jul 30 04:04:41 2023
    On 2023-07-29, Rich80105 <Rich80105@hotmail.com> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and where
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is >>>>little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >>>>Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >>>>vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are >>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes –
    Wow, you can read!

Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of him. >>Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man (I >>met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no surprise >>there either.
    your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political >>trhetoric?

On the last ship on fire a seafairer lost their life owing to the fire. The
    NZ scooter *explosion* caused a critical injury. We are not at war, so
    deaths and critical injuries are not acceptable.

The risk needs to be reduced. NZTA is lowering the road speed limit to lower the road toll, or at least that is the aim. So it does really matter that a road user might be killed from a road vehicle.

National. https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Willy Nilly@21:1/5 to Gordon on Sun Jul 30 03:57:55 2023
    On 29 Jul 2023 21:49:03 GMT, Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical
    scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and where >to charge your EV, and scooter.

I have the solution -- switch to nuclear powered EVs and scooters!
    Yes, a nuclear fission powered engine in every EV, scooter, and cell
    phone. Never needs dangerous charging up -- runs forever. Carbon
    neutral, too. Nothing can go wrong!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Willy Nilly on Sun Jul 30 04:22:28 2023
    willynilly@qwert.com (Willy Nilly) wrote:
    On 29 Jul 2023 21:49:03 GMT, Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical
    Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and where >>to charge your EV, and scooter.

I have the solution -- switch to nuclear powered EVs and scooters!
    Yes, a nuclear fission powered engine in every EV, scooter, and cell
    phone. Never needs dangerous charging up -- runs forever. Carbon
    neutral, too. Nothing can go wrong!
    Rich would love that - anything that causes a mass extinction event gives his poltical masters an opportunity to take more power.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Gordon on Sun Jul 30 04:19:47 2023
    Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote:
    On 2023-07-30, Rich80105 <Rich80105@hotmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:13:54 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and >>>>>>>>where
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making >>>>>>>decisions.
    The
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is >>>>>>>little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation >>>>>>>challenges.
    Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >>>>>>>vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>>>manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are >>>>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes – >>>>>>had been the cause of a number of fires."
    Wow, you can read!

Of course selling these devices is a money making deal - what on earth >>>>>>do you expect in a free market economy?
    Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of >>>>>him.
    Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man >>>>>(I
    met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no >>>>>surprise
    there either.
    could import, with decisions made by government. So Tony, what is >>>>>>your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>>>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political >>>>>trhetoric?
    on topic. Yes EV Batteries can be dangerous. The question is whether >>>>you believe anything should be done about it, and if so what?
    My comments to the original post clearly state my concern. Mankind should >>>pause
    the headlong rush to EVs until the safety issues are addressed, that is >>>obvious

EV's just have this habit of all to often starting to burn and the fire is >extremely hard to put out.

Road/rail cartage of dangerous goods have rules around what may be done. The >recent train wreck near Ohio, USA was made worse because the rules were not >being followed.

And yet we just pack the batteries into cars and place then 8000 odd onto
    a ship without a second thought.
    Yes Gordon we do. We are fools to listen to the party followers like Rich who have zero uinderstanding of the technology, the risks or the lack of morality involved.

And to go back to our political confusion, here is an article about >>>>current confusion within the Republican Party in the USA - a bit like >>>>the differences between our two furthest right parties - CT and >>>>National. >>>>https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594
    Definitely off topic. You shoud seek help to fix your admitted political >>>confusion. I am not in any way politically confused, I don't care about >>>politics other than it is a source of constant amusement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gordon@21:1/5 to John Bowes on Sun Jul 30 04:25:50 2023
    On 2023-07-29, John Bowes <bowesjohn02@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 10:57:30 AM UTC+12, Rich80105 wrote:

Gordon <Gor...@leaf.net.nz> wrote:

to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >> >Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE
    vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.
    manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are >> used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes –

Another stupid political piece of bullshit from a classic bullshitter! The whole deal has been pushed by imbeciles like Red Rich80105 without bothering to look at the consequences or plan for them! Typical left whinge freedom and women's right haters!

This question of the pros and cons of EV,s are getting tangled up by the "pushers". We are almost close to it being a second cousin to excess heart deaths. No discussion and not engaging in a scientific discussion of the matter.

EV's are new, they are being embedded into society, there are teething
    problems which need working through. Having this tense stand off is not at
    all useful for a good outcome.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gordon@21:1/5 to Rich80105@hotmail.com on Sun Jul 30 04:15:23 2023

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and >>>>>>>where
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making decisions. >>>>>>The
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is >>>>>>little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >>>>>>Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >>>>>>vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>>manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are >>>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes – >>>>>had been the cause of a number of fires."
    Wow, you can read!

Of course selling these devices is a money making deal - what on earth >>>>>do you expect in a free market economy?
    Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of him.
    Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man (I
    met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no surprise >>>>there either.
    could import, with decisions made by government. So Tony, what is >>>>>your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political >>>>trhetoric?

EV's just have this habit of all to often starting to burn and the fire is extremely hard to put out.

Road/rail cartage of dangerous goods have rules around what may be done. The recent train wreck near Ohio, USA was made worse because the rules were not being followed.

And to go back to our political confusion, here is an article about >>>current confusion within the Republican Party in the USA - a bit like
    National. >>>https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594
    Definitely off topic. You shoud seek help to fix your admitted political >>confusion. I am not in any way politically confused, I don't care about >>politics other than it is a source of constant amusement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Rich80105@hotmail.com on Sun Jul 30 04:17:00 2023
    On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 01:57:53 -0000 (UTC), Tony

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:13:54 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and >>>>>>>>>where
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making >>>>>>>>decisions.
    The
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There >>>>>>>>is
    little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation >>>>>>>>challenges.
    Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as >>>>>>>>ICE

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>>>>manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are >>>>>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes – >>>>>>>had been the cause of a number of fires."
    Wow, you can read!

Of course selling these devices is a money making deal - what on earth >>>>>>>do you expect in a free market economy?
    Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of >>>>>>him.
    Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man >>>>>>(I
    met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no >>>>>>surprise
    there either.
    could import, with decisions made by government. So Tony, what is >>>>>>>your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>>>>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political >>>>>>trhetoric?
    The cheap transport solution used an EV battery - so I was very much >>>>>on topic. Yes EV Batteries can be dangerous. The question is whether >>>>>you believe anything should be done about it, and if so what?
    My comments to the original post clearly state my concern. Mankind should >>>>pause
    the headlong rush to EVs until the safety issues are addressed, that is >>>>obvious

Of course there is a headlong rush forced partly by governments and lovingly >>picked up by manufacturers before the supply chain of electricity has been >>sorted out. And before we have an understanding of the true ecological cost >>of
    EVs, which could be at least as high as petrol/diesel vehicles.
    I didn't say they were more dangerous than petrol of diesel vehicles but >>those
    two are old enough that we know how to manage the risks. Obviously we don't >>know how to manage EV risks otherwise we would not be having these fires. >>So even someone with no understanding of the technology can see that we have >>added some risks and I maintain we have done so at too high a speed. That is >>so
    simple that I am surprised you don't see it (oh, actually I am not all that >>surprised).
    Hybrids are also petrol or diesel driven as well - a higher risk using
    your logic! EV Battery failures are sufficiently novel that they do
    get news articles - and fair enough when someone was injured, but a
    lot of car crashes do involve either actual or potential for fire;
    they tend not to be reported.
    Hybrids are part of the new types of vehicle. Your suggestion otherwise is idiotic.

But it is still not clear what you are really advocating for - at
    present you seem to be having a general whinge with nothing specific
    about what you think should happen, just a general elderly type whinge
    that the world has these new dangers that I do not understand and
    please can somebody stop the change because they just confuse. That
    may misrepresent your argument of course, but just what you want to
    happen is certainly unclear. So how about you get out of your whinging
    mode and set out just what you want to happen, and why. Then think
    about whether you agree with Seymour who would say that if you are
    going to stop a business there should be compensation . . .
    Stop being an asshole.
    I am not making a political statement here, not even close to one. But you have to make it so don't you?
    I am concerned about the danger clearly in place because we are rushing into an unknown and untested technology - but you don't care do you?
    And in addition, we don't know how we will keep these vehicles on the road. Suck it and see Rich80105 as usual.

You just come across as anti-business. For this recent event, it does
    appear that the owner may not have been using the product in
    accordance with manufacturers instructions - should we stop all
    vehicles because someone may be killed by not driving carefully
    tomorrow? And yes that is an exaggeration - but at present you are
    somewhere between a simple whinge and being dangerously anti-business,
    anti- development and anti freedom.
    Only to you, to anybody who has any scientific background or who has an IQ greater than 79 I will come across as lucid. To you, I am just someone that rings your extremely tiny bell.
    All you are is invective and lies. Pathetic piece of garbage that you are, you are still entitled to spout whatever you want, despite what your precious government would prefer.
    Now go back to the beginning of this thread and address the content and put the off-topic political and personal bullshit aside. Can you? Ahhh I doubt it.

And to go back to our political confusion, here is an article about >>>>>current confusion within the Republican Party in the USA - a bit like >>>>>the differences between our two furthest right parties - CT and >>>>>National. >>>>>https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594
    Definitely off topic. You shoud seek help to fix your admitted political >>>>confusion. I am not in any way politically confused, I don't care about >>>>politics other than it is a source of constant amusement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich80105@21:1/5 to Gordon on Sun Jul 30 20:23:10 2023
    On 30 Jul 2023 04:15:23 GMT, Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote:

Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making decisions.
    The
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>>>manager Todd O?Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries ? which are >>>>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes ? >>>>>>had been the cause of a number of fires."
    Wow, you can read!

Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of him.
    Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man (I
    met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no surprise
    there either.
    Off topic.

EV's just have this habit of all to often starting to burn and the fire is >extremely hard to put out.
    I would be interested in any statistics on such problems

Road/rail cartage of dangerous goods have rules around what may be done. The >recent train wreck near Ohio, USA was made worse because the rules were not >being followed.

Do we? Do you have a cite for problems arising from transporting
    batteries as distinct from them exploding either while being charged
    or while in use?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich80105@21:1/5 to Gordon on Sun Jul 30 20:20:53 2023
    On 30 Jul 2023 04:04:41 GMT, Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and where
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There is >>>>>little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >>>>>Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >>>>>vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>manager Todd O?Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries ? which are >>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes ?
    Wow, you can read!

Of course selling these devices is a money making deal - what on earth >>>>do you expect in a free market economy?
    Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of him. >>>Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man (I >>>met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no surprise >>>there either.
    could import, with decisions made by government. So Tony, what is >>>>your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political >>>trhetoric?

On the last ship on fire a seafairer lost their life owing to the fire. The >NZ scooter *explosion* caused a critical injury. We are not at war, so
    deaths and critical injuries are not acceptable.
    A critical injury is nearly a death; I agree such incidents are
    serious, but whether we should ban a product that has become very
    popular over the last year or so is another matter

The risk needs to be reduced. NZTA is lowering the road speed limit to lower >the road toll, or at least that is the aim. So it does really matter that a >road user might be killed from a road vehicle.
    They are doing that based on evidence in each case - and our maximum
    speed has also increased in my lifetime. The move to allow councils to
    make their own decisions about speed limits - I live near a small area
    that had the limit reduced to 30kph ; it has been well received by
    locals, as it is very narrow with shops and a school, but proposals to
    extend that limit to a lot of other roads was resisted strongly, and
    resolved quickly.

I remember the campaigns for seatbelts and helmets for riding a
    bicycle - they took a long time to get through, and we still have car
    and cycle deaths. It is all a question of balance; I have not seen any statistics on deaths from battery explosions.

We do however have a clear example where saving lives was not
    universally popular - the recent Covid pandemic. We have results that
    show that New Zealand did better at that than almost all countries
    around the world - and both during that period and until now our
    economic performance has also been better than most countries, but
    quite a few who post to nz.general appear to hold the view that more
    deaths would have been acceptable - if we had followed the precautions
    of the USA or the UK for example we may well have had an additional
    10,000 to 14,000 deaths; but to be fair the opposition to the
    precautions taken has grown considerably since precautions were
    largely removed.

There does appear to be a need to better educate purchasers about how
    to properly charge batteries without creating a risk of explosion, but otherwise I suspect there would be little support from any sizable
    group (the small number of habitual whingers excepted) to justify
    banning electric batteries for personal transport.

the differences between our two furthest right parties - ACT and
    National.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich80105@21:1/5 to Gordon on Sun Jul 30 20:29:27 2023
    On 30 Jul 2023 04:25:50 GMT, Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote:

On 2023-07-29, John Bowes <bowesjohn02@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 10:57:30?AM UTC+12, Rich80105 wrote:

Gordon <Gor...@leaf.net.nz> wrote:

to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation challenges. >>> >Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as ICE >>> >vehicles do when running. But that fact is ignored.
    manager Todd O’Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries – which are

This question of the pros and cons of EV,s are getting tangled up by the >"pushers". We are almost close to it being a second cousin to excess heart >deaths. No discussion and not engaging in a scientific discussion of the >matter.

EV's are new, they are being embedded into society, there are teething >problems which need working through. Having this tense stand off is not at >all useful for a good outcome.

I agree Gordon - let those who are concerned give evidence that
    supports their argument. Thus far there have been a number of
    explosions - mostly overseas, and few deaths that I am aware of - but
    so far those proposing to stop business for safety reasons have not
    shown that a ban is justified. It is not even clear what excess heart
    deaths means - in excess of what?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From BR@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 31 05:04:32 2023
    On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 10:53:02 +1200, Rich80105 <Rich80105@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

In a free market economy the government does not put it's thumb on the
    scale by actively encouraging the use of EVs and discouraging the use
    of petrol and diesel, and for what purpose? Answer: To appease the
    climate hustlers in the UN and the marxist green party.

Bill.

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
    https://www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Rich80105@hotmail.com on Sun Jul 30 20:22:42 2023
    On 30 Jul 2023 04:04:41 GMT, Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote:

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>>manager Todd O?Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries ? which are >>>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes ? >>>>>had been the cause of a number of fires."
    Wow, you can read!

Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of >>>>him.
    Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man >>>>(I
    met him several times).
    Off topic.

On the last ship on fire a seafairer lost their life owing to the fire. The >>NZ scooter *explosion* caused a critical injury. We are not at war, so >>deaths and critical injuries are not acceptable.
    A critical injury is nearly a death; I agree such incidents are
    serious, but whether we should ban a product that has become very
    popular over the last year or so is another matter

The risk needs to be reduced. NZTA is lowering the road speed limit to lower >>the road toll, or at least that is the aim. So it does really matter that a >>road user might be killed from a road vehicle.
    They are doing that based on evidence in each case - and our maximum
    speed has also increased in my lifetime. The move to allow councils to
    make their own decisions about speed limits - I live near a small area
    that had the limit reduced to 30kph ; it has been well received by
    locals, as it is very narrow with shops and a school, but proposals to
    extend that limit to a lot of other roads was resisted strongly, and
    resolved quickly.

I remember the campaigns for seatbelts and helmets for riding a
    bicycle - they took a long time to get through, and we still have car
    and cycle deaths. It is all a question of balance; I have not seen any >statistics on deaths from battery explosions.

We do however have a clear example where saving lives was not
    universally popular - the recent Covid pandemic. We have results that
    show that New Zealand did better at that than almost all countries
    around the world - and both during that period and until now our
    economic performance has also been better than most countries, but
    quite a few who post to nz.general appear to hold the view that more
    deaths would have been acceptable - if we had followed the precautions
    of the USA or the UK for example we may well have had an additional
    10,000 to 14,000 deaths; but to be fair the opposition to the
    precautions taken has grown considerably since precautions were
    largely removed.

There does appear to be a need to better educate purchasers about how
    to properly charge batteries without creating a risk of explosion, but >otherwise I suspect there would be little support from any sizable
    group (the small number of habitual whingers excepted) to justify
    banning electric batteries for personal transport.
    Nobody is suggesting that you fool.

the differences between our two furthest right parties - ACT and
    National.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Rich80105@hotmail.com on Sun Jul 30 20:58:52 2023

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:13:54 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and >>>>>>>>>where
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making >>>>>>>>decisions.
    The
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There >>>>>>>>is
    little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation >>>>>>>>challenges.
    Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as >>>>>>>>ICE

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>>>>manager Todd O?Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries ? which are >>>>>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes ? >>>>>>>had been the cause of a number of fires."
    Wow, you can read!

Of course selling these devices is a money making deal - what on earth >>>>>>>do you expect in a free market economy?
    Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of >>>>>>him.
    Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man >>>>>>(I
    met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no >>>>>>surprise
    there either.
    could import, with decisions made by government. So Tony, what is >>>>>>>your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>>>>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political >>>>>>trhetoric?
    The cheap transport solution used an EV battery - so I was very much >>>>>on topic. Yes EV Batteries can be dangerous. The question is whether >>>>>you believe anything should be done about it, and if so what?
    My comments to the original post clearly state my concern. Mankind should >>>>pause
    the headlong rush to EVs until the safety issues are addressed, that is >>>>obvious

EV's just have this habit of all to often starting to burn and the fire is >>extremely hard to put out.

Road/rail cartage of dangerous goods have rules around what may be done. The >>recent train wreck near Ohio, USA was made worse because the rules were not >>being followed.

or while in use?
    This might help you. https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ocean-shippers-playing-catch-up-electric-vehicle-fire-risk-2023-07-27/
    Apparently the shipping industry is concerned. I think it is unlikely that eny of the cars on the subject ship were running or charging.
    The problem is worse than you are prepared to admit.

And to go back to our political confusion, here is an article about >>>>>current confusion within the Republican Party in the USA - a bit like >>>>>the differences between our two furthest right parties - CT and >>>>>National. >>>>>https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594
    Definitely off topic. You shoud seek help to fix your admitted political >>>>confusion. I am not in any way politically confused, I don't care about >>>>politics other than it is a source of constant amusement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich80105@21:1/5 to lizandtony@orcon.net.nz on Mon Jul 31 11:32:47 2023
    On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 20:58:52 -0000 (UTC), Tony

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:55:24 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:13:54 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>>>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>>>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when and
    where
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making >>>>>>>>>decisions.
    The
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There >>>>>>>>>is
    little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation >>>>>>>>>challenges.
    Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as >>>>>>>>>ICE

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>>>>>manager Todd O?Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries ? which are >>>>>>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes ? >>>>>>>>had been the cause of a number of fires."
    Wow, you can read!

Of course selling these devices is a money making deal - what on earth >>>>>>>>do you expect in a free market economy?
    Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of >>>>>>>him.
    Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice man
    (I
    met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no >>>>>>>surprise
    there either.
    could import, with decisions made by government. So Tony, what is >>>>>>>>your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>>>>>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and political
    trhetoric?
    The cheap transport solution used an EV battery - so I was very much >>>>>>on topic. Yes EV Batteries can be dangerous. The question is whether >>>>>>you believe anything should be done about it, and if so what?
    My comments to the original post clearly state my concern. Mankind should >>>>>pause
    the headlong rush to EVs until the safety issues are addressed, that is >>>>>obvious

EV's just have this habit of all to often starting to burn and the fire is >>>extremely hard to put out.

Road/rail cartage of dangerous goods have rules around what may be done. The >>>recent train wreck near Ohio, USA was made worse because the rules were not >>>being followed.

And yet we just pack the batteries into cars and place then 8000 odd onto >>>a ship without a second thought.

or while in use?
    This might help you. >https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ocean-shippers-playing-catch-up-electric-vehicle-fire-risk-2023-07-27/
    Apparently the shipping industry is concerned. I think it is unlikely that eny >of the cars on the subject ship were running or charging.

Thanks for that, but of course it does not really change much for us
    here in New Zealand - you seem to have the view Tony that every
    problem must always be met with legislation - in a market economy
    problems like this are self-correcting - either the international
    shipping firms will refuse to carry them or they will charge more. I
    was looking for any statistics for New Zealand as that may indicate a
    problem with unsafe operators selling dangerous goods - I have looked
    briefly but was unable to find statistics to indicate systemic
    electric vehicle battery problems in New Zealand.

And to go back to our political confusion, here is an article about >>>>>>current confusion within the Republican Party in the USA - a bit like >>>>>>the differences between our two furthest right parties - CT and >>>>>>National. >>>>>>https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594
    Definitely off topic. You shoud seek help to fix your admitted political >>>>>confusion. I am not in any way politically confused, I don't care about >>>>>politics other than it is a source of constant amusement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Rich80105@hotmail.com on Sun Jul 30 23:42:55 2023
    On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 20:58:52 -0000 (UTC), Tony

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:55:24 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:13:54 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Tony >>>>>>>>><lizandtony@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

Gordon <Gordon@leaf.net.nz> wrote: >>>>>>>>>>>https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/132644522/scooter-battery-blast-moved-furniture-cracked-glass-left-person-critical

Ships on fire carying EVs, EV's on fire threating parking buildings, >>>>>>>>>>>scooters exploding. It is time for some new rules around how, when >>>>>>>>>>>and
    where
    Yes, that's what heppens when you get zealots and fools making >>>>>>>>>>decisions.
    The
    entire EV thing has been rushed and is now a money making deal. There >>>>>>>>>>is
    little
    to no real advantage until we sort the storage and generation >>>>>>>>>>challenges.
    Manufacture of EVs causes just about as much pollution and damage as >>>>>>>>>>ICE

From the article: "Fire and Emergency Services risk and investigations >>>>>>>>>manager Todd O?Donoghue in 2022 said lithium-ion batteries ? which are >>>>>>>>>used in devices like smartphones, ebikes, laptops and ecigarettes ? >>>>>>>>>had been the cause of a number of fires."
    Wow, you can read!

Of course selling these devices is a money making deal - what on earth >>>>>>>>>do you expect in a free market economy?
    Muldoon was an appalling PM and I helped in my humble way to get rid of >>>>>>>>him.
    Shame his replacement turned out to be a poor PM although a very nice >>>>>>>>man
    (I
    met him several times).
    Equally a shame is your attempt to send a little abuse my way - no >>>>>>>>surprise
    there either.
    could import, with decisions made by government. So Tony, what is >>>>>>>>>your great solution to the risks of buying a cheap transport solution >>>>>>>>>that a young person could keep in his city apartment?
    Off topic.
    Could you for once address the topic without sarcasm, abuse and >>>>>>>>political
    trhetoric?
    The cheap transport solution used an EV battery - so I was very much >>>>>>>on topic. Yes EV Batteries can be dangerous. The question is whether >>>>>>>you believe anything should be done about it, and if so what?
    My comments to the original post clearly state my concern. Mankind should >>>>>>pause
    the headlong rush to EVs until the safety issues are addressed, that is >>>>>>obvious

I do not see a headlong rush - and what evidence do you have that EVs >>>>> are any more dangerous than Hybrids or Petrol or Diesel vehicles?

EV's just have this habit of all to often starting to burn and the fire is >>>>extremely hard to put out.

Road/rail cartage of dangerous goods have rules around what may be done. The
    recent train wreck near Ohio, USA was made worse because the rules were not >>>>being followed.

And yet we just pack the batteries into cars and place then 8000 odd onto >>>>a ship without a second thought.

Do we? Do you have a cite for problems arising from transporting >>>batteries as distinct from them exploding either while being charged
    or while in use?
    This might help you. >>https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ocean-shippers-playing-catch-up-electric-vehicle-fire-risk-2023-07-27/
    Apparently the shipping industry is concerned. I think it is unlikely that >>eny
    of the cars on the subject ship were running or charging.

Thanks for that, but of course it does not really change much for us
    here in New Zealand - you seem to have the view Tony that every
    problem must always be met with legislation
    Don't you dare put words into my mouth. A very nasty habit of yours,
    No my view ia almost the opposite but I do not blame you for your innate inability to accept that a few words written to NZ general does not indicate a persons overall beliefs. You need to be smart to understand that.
    - in a market economy
    problems like this are self-correcting - either the international
    shipping firms will refuse to carry them or they will charge more. I
    was looking for any statistics for New Zealand as that may indicate a
    problem with unsafe operators selling dangerous goods - I have looked
    briefly but was unable to find statistics to indicate systemic
    electric vehicle battery problems in New Zealand.
    You keep denying that there is a problem, all I and Gordon are saying is that the problem exists. Neither of us are suggesting legislation and neither of us are closed minded about the possible solutions.
    But those people who bury their head, like you, should not knock those of us that want to support safer technology. Simple.

And to go back to our political confusion, here is an article about >>>>>>>current confusion within the Republican Party in the USA - a bit like >>>>>>>the differences between our two furthest right parties - CT and >>>>>>>National. >>>>>>>https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/28/conservatives-capitalism-campaigns-00108594
    Definitely off topic. You shoud seek help to fix your admitted political >>>>>>confusion. I am not in any way politically confused, I don't care about >>>>>>politics other than it is a source of constant amusement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05