• innd: tradspool: could not symlink

From Nigel Reed@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 27 03:47:42 2023
    I saw this message in my error log email today

innd: tradspool: could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58802 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/7: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58803 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/8: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58804 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/9: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58805 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/10: File exists

My server didn't crash, it's been up 21 days. I looked back to
    yesterdays log and I had a few similar:

innd: tradspool: could not symlink
    /news/spool/articles/alt/radio/talk/1058 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/1: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/alt/radio/talk/1059 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/2: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/alt/radio/talk/1060 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/3: File exists

A google search for the part in the subject returns exactly 0 results
    with no solution.

Should I go through the same process as for the "could not open" error
    message or should I use a different solution?

Thanks,

--
    End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
    telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Retro Guy@21:1/5 to Nigel Reed on Sun Aug 27 10:59:20 2023
    Nigel Reed wrote:

innd: tradspool: could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58802 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/7: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58803 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/8: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58804 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/9: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58805 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/10: File exists

I've had this error in the past and it is of course exactly what it says,
    the file exists when trying to create a symlink.

The solution I have found to work is rebuilding overview database. Take
    a look here: https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/makehistory.html

The first example near the bottom of the page is probably what you need.

--
    Retro Guy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Doctor@21:1/5 to sysop@endofthelinebbs.com on Sun Aug 27 12:42:51 2023
    In article <20230827034742.140fe678@wibble.sysadmininc.com>,
    Nigel Reed <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:

innd: tradspool: could not symlink >/news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58802 to >/news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/7: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58803 to >/news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/8: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58804 to >/news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/9: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58805 to >/news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/10: File exists

My server didn't crash, it's been up 21 days. I looked back to
    yesterdays log and I had a few similar:

innd: tradspool: could not symlink
    /news/spool/articles/alt/radio/talk/1058 to >/news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/1: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/alt/radio/talk/1059 to >/news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/2: File exists innd: tradspool:
    could not symlink /news/spool/articles/alt/radio/talk/1060 to >/news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/3: File exists

A google search for the part in the subject returns exactly 0 results
    with no solution.

Should I go through the same process as for the "could not open" error >message or should I use a different solution?

You may need to run makehistory to correct!

Thanks,

--

--
    Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
    Yahweh, King & country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising! Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism https://www.empire.kred/ROOTNK?t=94a1f39b If we believe wrong things, we get wrong results. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nigel Reed@21:1/5 to Retro Guy on Mon Aug 28 02:59:18 2023
    On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 10:59:20 +0000
    retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

Nigel Reed wrote:

innd: tradspool: could not symlink /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58802 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/7: File exists innd:
    tradspool: could not symlink
    /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58803 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/8: File exists innd:
    /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58804 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/9: File exists innd:
    /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/misc/58805 to /news/spool/articles/talk/politics/usa/10: File exists

I've had this error in the past and it is of course exactly what it
    says, the file exists when trying to create a symlink.

The solution I have found to work is rebuilding overview database.
    Take a look here: https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/makehistory.html

The first example near the bottom of the page is probably what you
    need.

I was thinking that's probably what I needed to do but thought I'd
    check in case the symlink issue was different from unable to open.
    Looks like I'm all recovered. Thanks.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05