• Amending the charter

From Bernie Cosell@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 13 17:44:35 2015
    I can't remember: what are the rules for amending the charter to a
    newsgroup? I want to make a very simple change [which I will post to the newsgroup for comments before I do], but I don't know if there is more to
    it than that. The simple change is that the charter specifies that lines
    must be <72 characters long, in accordance with the email format RFC
    specifying maximum line length. Based on that rule, virtually every post I reject is because it has very-long lines. It seems that the very old
    Microsoft convention [newlines are actually "new paragraph" and lines can
    be as long as needed] has prevailed for a LOT of clients and the posters probably don't even know what "line length" is [or how to do it in any convenient way other than by putting in newlines by hand]. Thanks!

/Bernie\
    moderator: misc.legal.moderated

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Kathy Morgan@21:1/5 to Bernie Cosell on Tue Dec 15 15:39:07 2015
    Bernie Cosell <bernie@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:

I can't remember: what are the rules for amending the charter to a
    newsgroup? I want to make a very simple change [which I will post to the newsgroup for comments before I do], but I don't know if there is more to
    it than that.

There is no formal means of amending the charter and no repository for charters, other than the charter archived with the RFD/CFV/RESULTS
    postings. In practice, for an open group the charter is whatever the
    group culture has settled on. For a moderated group, the moderator can
    make changes. Posting them to the group for comments before you do is a
    nice courtesy.

The simple change is that the charter specifies that lines
    must be <72 characters long, in accordance with the email format RFC specifying maximum line length. Based on that rule, virtually every post I reject is because it has very-long lines. It seems that the very old Microsoft convention [newlines are actually "new paragraph" and lines can
    be as long as needed] has prevailed for a LOT of clients and the posters probably don't even know what "line length" is [or how to do it in any convenient way other than by putting in newlines by hand]. Thanks!

Probably at least half of the posts rejected in the groups I moderate
    are because of long lines, which is enforced by the software so the
    posts get rejected before I even see them. I'm using Brian Edmonds
    Robomod, and I'm really grateful that he's hosting my groups. When I
    see a rejection notice for a post with long lines that might have been otherwise acceptable, I email the poster suggesting that they correct
    the long lines and resubmit.

--
    Kathy
    Moderator or co-moderator for news.newusers.questions, news.admin.net-abuse.policy, news.announce.newusers.
    comp.software.shareware.*, news.groups.proposals, news.admin.moderation, misc.writing.screenplays.moderated

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)