• Formula to return entire row of worksheet if column meets value

From Jackson Huizinga@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 21 12:02:47 2022
    Hello, I have the following and cannot wrap my head around it:

Sheet 1: Master
    Sheet 2: Pricing

In Column L of "Master", the sheet is sorted by their value ranging from 1.99 to 10.00.

In B10 of Pricing, there is a value (7.35).

Is there a way to return the entire row of each Master line if the value in Column L of Master is Greater Than or Equal to the value in B10 of Pricing?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 22 13:19:14 2022
    In article <fc307844-e127-4982-a812-4ef57166c0efn@googlegroups.com>, Jackson Huizinga wrote...

Hello, I have the following and cannot wrap my head around it:

Sheet 1: Master
    Sheet 2: Pricing

In Column L of "Master", the sheet is sorted by their value ranging from 1.99 to 10.00.

In B10 of Pricing, there is a value (7.35).

Is there a way to return the entire row of each Master line if the value in Column L of Master is Greater Than or Equal to the value in B10 of Pricing?

If this was a busier newsgroup I'd keep quiet and watch out for offered solutions - I've got good basic knowledge of Excel but less so on the more advanced features.

What you're seeking to do goes beyond "classic" spreadsheets. It's equivalent to creating a query (E.g. in Access) which returns (i.e. generates) output containing only what you want to select. In a classic spreadshet, if a cell is in use, it'll display a value which may depend on other cells' values or properties.

So generating an abitrary number of rows somewhere, based on you data and chosen criteria, will mean using the "extras" which Excel bolts on to the classic spreadsheet model. I'm not aware of cell-level functions which can do this.

I'd look first at Pivot Tables. I'm not expert in using these, but I have found them an elegant tool which have solved similar problems. Another conceivable option to explore is "Power Query", which adds a layer of data massaging to extract what you want. Neither is beginner-level stuff, but I found I made faster progress than expected with both. If you look for YouTube videos on these subjects from the (sainted) Leila Gharani, you'll get a good, clear introduction.

I hope that's helpful. These are interesting problems to solve, and if I had all the time in the world (in my dreams) I'd spend the rest of the day figuring out exactly how to do this! With a bit of luck, you'll get a full solution from someone else here.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)