• Formula won't show sum

From Mathew Trickel@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 28 03:00:13 2021
    I have had this problem happen several times over the years.
    This finally worked for me.
    Check the string of data calculations since we are adding numbers, all the source data should also be formatted as numbers.
    If one number in any of those cells is automatic or text It will not add. All reference cells must be numbers.

Mat

--------------------------------------------------------------

On Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 4:12:04 AM UTC-4, Dennis (The Menace) Hayden wrote:
    More on this......
    One possible cause is copying/pasteing/linking to a cell with embedded £, $ etc signs in them. They will still add up using A1+A2 etc but SUM cannot hack
    the embedded signs.
    The solution is to use the VALUE function which strips out the embedded signs and SUM will now work. This will probably mean duplicate cells to make it work. EG
    =VALUE(enter in here the link or cell the problem number is in). Then SUM this column/row.
    This doesn't seem to have anything to do with Options or cell formats.
    The Menace
    "Dennis (The Menace) Hayden" wrote:
    I have this problem also. I even tried moving the spreadsheet to different PCs, and opening it in 2007.

In the end I substituted =SUM(A1:A5) for =A1+A2+A3+A4+A5 And low and behold
    it works. So there seems to be "SUMthing" wrong with this function under certain conditions.

Den

"Marcie" wrote:

Good Afternoon! I am having a similar problem and have tried all of the suggestions below and nothing worked. I copied some values from my cell phone bill on the net and tried to sum them. The values copied very nicely
    into Excel but do not sum. If i retype the numbers over the original number
    they will then start to sum which to me suggests formatting. Keep in mind
    I've tried all of the below mentioned tricks. Any more thoughts? Thanks! Marcie

"Parry" wrote:

I'm a novice...and self-taught, but I love Excel. Can someone please explain
    why when I enter a formula to add a column of numbers, the formula is showing
    in the cell and not the sum. the formula is: =sum(e27:e42) Have they changed how a formula is written in Excel 2007? Even after I format the
    cells to be numbers versus text, the sum function won't show a sum...just the
    formula. Sometimes all I get is a zero. How can I fix this? It's very frustrating. Thx.
    --
    Novice
    Thanks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)