• (ot) Help Needed -- Digging Dog

From sweelish@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 7 03:27:48 2020
    Den söndag 27 maj 2007 kl. 18:44:10 UTC+2 skrev deMedicis:
    I have a dog. She is an Australian Shepherd, and her name is Blue.
    Because of her pretty, albeit slightly bulgy, icy-blue eyes.

She is one of my best friends, and, for the most part, we co-exist very
    well together.

But the dog digs. Holes. BIGASS Holes. My daughter and I are both 5'
    4". When the daughter stands in the hole, she barely comes up to my shoulder. I know, because I made her stand in the hole.

What can I do?

Your parameters for the solution:

* No, I'm not going to shoot the dog or get rid of the dog. She's family. I cannot even whomp her over the head with a newspaper, as the holes are dug while I'm at work, and, although she is very bright (#7 on
    the top ten intelligent dog list), I don't think she would get cause and effect, as in "Mama's whomping the hell outta me with a newspaper
    because I dug that hole".

* I must go to work every day, leaving her alone.

* No she is not bored. She had two fenced acres to run around in. Woodlands. Dead squirrels. Bunnies. Her husband, Toby, the Border Collie.

* When I fill one hole, she watches, and as soon as I exit my estate, she digs another.

* Somebody's gonna break a leg, stepping in the holes. They will sue.

I'm very serious here. Think outside of the box. What can I do?

Donna

I know this thread is old, but training your dog is the only long-term solution, OP.

I love my dog so much but it constantly did the things that irked me most. It would chew on things that it shouldn’t or jump up and down out of the blue.

Whenever I put on the leash, it would pull on it. Whenever it was out of the house, it would continue digging on the ground - I wish I could tell what it was looking for down there. The same goes for all the nasty urine.

All the things it did left me feeling depressed as if I failed it monumentally.

But since I discovered Brain Training for Dogs and applied the system offered, it now behaves the way a beautiful dog I always expect of 🐶

Here's a link to their site: http://hiddendogintelligence.club/

Good luck!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)