• Hauling Swinging Meat

From pacificdaylight@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Bob Knoop on Fri Feb 12 06:32:05 2016
    On Friday, January 9, 2004 at 1:51:18 PM UTC-6, Bob Knoop wrote:
    Does anyone know of any fleets who still haul swinging beef in reefers? I'm doing some research on training a driver to haul that commodity? Thanks for any help.

I have hauled lots of it back in the day. It Can be very dangerous. especially to a "Seasoned" driver.
    With a seasoned hand at the wheel it can behave like a floor load So drivers for get themselves Like at the old curve at Duncomb Iowa or the old curve east of Rockwell city Iowa. on old US 20 and they take the curve like a floor load . OOPS When 40
    some thousand pounds of beef suddenly shifts to one side Give your soul to God your ass belongs to the truck. You WILL go over. Just Keep in mind, if you Haul it, what you have in the trailer. If the sign says 40 go 30 or less if it says 30 go 15 or
    less Stay out of Heavy winds I don't care How much the load weighs. Hope this Helps pacificdaylight@gmail.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From samor.w5bib@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to Bob Knoop on Mon Dec 17 14:06:46 2018
    Does anyone know of any fleets who still haul swinging beef in reefers? I'm doing some research on training a driver to haul that commodity? Thanks for any help.

I hauled it back in the late 70's driving for CLAY HYDER (Auburndale, Fla.) & REFRIGERATED TRANSPORT (Atlanta, Ga.) 40 ft. 'Rail Trailers'- I always tried to visualized a Card Table with a glass of water sitting on it in the trailer, & drove so as not
    to spill a drop or tip it over !! We hauled out of SWIFT, ARMOUR, IBP, MONFORT & some others. It pretty much went to Box Meat in the early 80's. You really had to stay on your toes & it felt SO good when ya finally got empty !!! I saw a trailer tip-over
    on the yard when a yard jockey pulled the trailer over a curb @ 2 mph !!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Larry Sheldon@21:1/5 to samor.w5bib@yahoo.com on Mon Dec 17 18:05:24 2018
    On 12/17/2018 16:06, samor.w5bib@yahoo.com wrote:
    Does anyone know of any fleets who still haul swinging beef in reefers? I'm >> doing some research on training a driver to haul that commodity? Thanks for >> any help.

I hauled it back in the late 70's driving for CLAY HYDER (Auburndale, Fla.) & REFRIGERATED TRANSPORT (Atlanta, Ga.) 40 ft. 'Rail Trailers'- I always tried to visualized a Card Table with a glass of water sitting on it in the trailer, & drove so as not
    to spill a drop or tip it over !! We hauled out of SWIFT, ARMOUR, IBP, MONFORT & some others. It pretty much went to Box Meat in the early 80's. You really had to stay on your toes & it felt SO good when ya finally got empty !!! I saw a trailer tip-over
    on the yard when a yard jockey pulled the trailer over a curb @ 2 mph !!!

Old message!

How does that compare to a tank of gasoline? Or a dryvan full of bags
    of water?

--
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    -- Juvenal

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pabst Blue Ribbon@21:1/5 to Larry Sheldon on Tue Dec 25 20:52:12 2018
    Larry Sheldon <lfsheldon@gmail.com> wrote:
    On 12/17/2018 16:06, samor.w5bib@yahoo.com wrote:
    Does anyone know of any fleets who still haul swinging beef in reefers? I'm
    doing some research on training a driver to haul that commodity? Thanks for
    any help.

I hauled it back in the late 70's driving for CLAY HYDER (Auburndale,
    Fla.) & REFRIGERATED TRANSPORT (Atlanta, Ga.) 40 ft. 'Rail Trailers'- I
    always tried to visualized a Card Table with a glass of water sitting
    on it in the trailer, & drove so as not to spill a drop or tip it over
    !! We hauled out of SWIFT, ARMOUR, IBP, MONFORT & some others. It
    pretty much went to Box Meat in the early 80's. You really had to stay
    on your toes & it felt SO good when ya finally got empty !!! I saw a
    trailer tip-over on the yard when a yard jockey pulled the trailer over a curb @ 2 mph !!!

Old message!

How does that compare to a tank of gasoline? Or a dryvan full of bags
    of water?

Top heavy load that's constantly moving. Very easy to tip it over. Better
    slow down to 5-10 mph on them ramps.

I think they still do it in Europe, but not in US. Too many accidents.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From sargent1947@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 28 16:20:17 2019
    Does anyone know of any of the names of the trucking companies that used to all swinging meat back in the 60s?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stroker1957@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 10 06:52:18 2020
    Use to haul swinging 70’s. & early80’s vitalis in Des Moines Ed Philip Des Moines & Montfort Denver

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05