• Romania - Bucuresti Airport (OTP) trains [plus some OT]

From Ulf.Kutzner@web.de@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 9 07:00:16 2020
    Am Sonntag, 23. Oktober 2011 23:51:01 UTC+2 schrieb John Armitstead:

I don't know whether I'm too late to help you, as I've only just come across this thread, but I used the minibus & train connection earlier this month.

There is a CFR kiosk in the arrivals hall at the airport selling tickets for the bus + train. A timetable is also posted there, but the time our minibus departed did not correspond to the time we had noted. The train time was correct, though.

I was also travelling on a FIP coupon, so tried my luck without buying a ticket. In the event, the minibus driver didn't check tickets (and in fact the conductor on the train didn't have a clue what it was anyway).

The name of the station is "P.O. Aeroport" if you want to check times on the CFR website. It is about 1-2 km north of the airport, so could be walked in 30 mins if you know where it is (but it doesn't seem to be marked on Google Maps). It's a very basic shack, with no shelter, on a single track non-electrified line (the line to Urzicene). Most trains operate as shuttles between Balotesti and Gara de Nord, operated by Desiro units. 2 or 3 longer distance trains each way call there daily.

It's an interesting way into the city, but probably takes 4 times as long as the taxi.

An upgraded hourly service from
    Aeroport Henri Coanda T1 has been
    announced for coming December.

Trains shall take 21 to 23 minutes
    depending on an intermediate stop.

Regards, ULF

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)