• Massachusetts Income Tax Penalty M-2210

From Jerry Shapiro@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 29 11:05:44 2022
    I accidentally asked Massachusetts to figure out my penalty for 2021 and it gave me a small penalty, less than $50. I have appealed and filed M-2210 with part 2 filled out for 2021 because our withholding was uneven throughout the year and I wanted to
    use the actual withholding dates. Using the actual withholding dates, I do not believe that I owe a penalty. I did not fill out part 4, annualized income. I am being told by the tax examiner that I cannot claim "front loading" of withholding without also
    filling out part 4 "annualized income". This does not seem correct to me but I am not sure what to do short of just paying the penalty.

Identifying the amount of withholding for each of the 4 dates involves looking at 8 paycheck stubs. Identifying the actual income by each date involves looking at every quarterly statement from every account that I have and is too time consuming given
    the small penalty.

I am asking because I have been using this method for years and including M-2210 with just part 2 filled out and need to know whether I really need to track my income to fill out annualized income in the future. Using the dates of actual withholding
    seems to work fine for federal (I think).

Thanks in advance.

--
    << ------------------------------------------------------- >>
    << The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
    << nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
    << that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
    << >>
    << The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
    << to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
    << are at www.asktax.org. >>
    << Copyright (2011) - All rights reserved. >>
    << ------------------------------------------------------- >>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)