• Some information about stimulus checks and the deceased.

From honda.lioness@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 14 18:47:42 2021
    Update:
    The IRS letter I received on March 8, 2021 said the IRS needed an additional 60 days to send me a complete response. Over 90 days has passed. Today I called the IRS. I was on hold for half an hour, then I spoke to an IRS staffer who had me on hold off-
    and-on throughout the call, as the IRS staffer tried to get a handle on the two pieces of correspondence between the IRS and me on this matter. About 1.5 hours later, the IRS staffer instructed me to file a Form 1310, titled "Statement of Person Claiming
    Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer." I believe the IRS staffer's (or his supervisor's) idea was either that I could:

-- amend the decedent's 2019 taxes and claim the refund. I do not see IRC authority for this for tax year 2019.

-- file a 2020 tax return for the decedent. Among other problems with the latter approach, I am pretty sure the Internal Revenue Code section for the first round of stimulus payments ($1200 for most single people) indicates this is not allowed.

-- give up with the attempt to claw back the $1200.

I think this battle's over. I salute the IRS for successfully de-frauding many decedents (and so their estates' beneficiaries) nationwide of $1200 per decedent. I own the role of my own incompetence, trusting the government to be honest.

--
    << ------------------------------------------------------- >>
    << The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
    << nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
    << that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
    << >>
    << The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
    << to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
    << are at www.asktax.org. >>
    << Copyright (2011) - All rights reserved. >>
    << ------------------------------------------------------- >>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)