• EIP 3 and medical deductions

From sbernelli@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 16 15:47:03 2022
    Helping 66 year old neighbor with taxes again this year. (Blind leading the blind). Using eztaxreturn.com .

He received two stimulus checks in 2021. The website says he is entitled to a third payment of $1400 because in 2021 he was a U.S. citizen, was not a dependent of another tax payer and he has a valid SSN. The $1400 ("recovery rebate credit") was put in
    Other Taxes and Credits on the electronic return. Is this correct?

He has health insurance through his place of work. He had medical issues during 2021 resulting in about $2000 in taxi charges to and from many medical appointments. He has a receipt for every taxi trip. He was not reimbursed for any of the taxi fares.
    These are valid medical deductions, right, if he is able to itemize?

Should I now review all his medical Explanation of Benefit documents and medical bills and tally up all his nonreimbursable charges, e.g., medical deductibles, coinsurance (he reached, then exceeded, both ceilings) and put this total along with the taxi
    fares total on the medical expenses line on his return? Just the total of all of it? Do I need to attach an explanation or copies of EOBs or bills to prove this? I don't think there is a way to attach anything through eztaxreturn.com. Should I just put
    the total in and just wait until the possible IRS audit?

Thank you in advance for any assistance here.

--
    << ------------------------------------------------------- >>
    << The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
    << nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
    << that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
    << >>
    << The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
    << to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
    << are at www.asktax.org. >>
    << Copyright (2011) - All rights reserved. >>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Maria Ku@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 16 22:30:35 2022
    He received two stimulus checks in 2021. The website says he is entitled to a third payment of $1400 because in 2021 he was a U.S. citizen, was not a dependent of another tax payer and he has a valid SSN. The $1400 ("recovery rebate credit") was put in
    Other Taxes and Credits on the electronic return. Is this correct?

This goes on line 30 of page 2 of form 1040.

He has health insurance through his place of work. He had medical issues during 2021 resulting in about $2000 in taxi charges to and from many medical appointments. He has a receipt for every taxi trip. He was not reimbursed for any of the taxi fares.

Yes

Should I now review all his medical Explanation of Benefit documents and medical bills and tally up all his nonreimbursable charges, e.g., medical deductibles, coinsurance (he reached, then exceeded, both ceilings) and put this total along with the
    taxi fares total on the medical expenses line on his return? Just the total of all of it? Do I need to attach an explanation or copies of EOBs or bills to prove this? I don't think there is a way to attach anything through eztaxreturn.com. Should I just
    put the total in and just wait until the possible IRS audit?

Yes, but: For medical deductions to produce any tax benefit at all, he has to be better off with itemized deductions than with the standard deduction (is he?), and only the excess of the total amount of the qualified medical expenses over 7.5% of his AGI
    counts in.

--
    << >>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ira smilovitz@21:1/5 to Maria Ku on Thu Mar 17 12:33:47 2022
    On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 10:34:53 PM UTC-4, Maria Ku wrote:
    He received two stimulus checks in 2021. The website says he is entitled to a third payment of $1400 because in 2021 he was a U.S. citizen, was not a dependent of another tax payer and he has a valid SSN. The $1400 ("recovery rebate credit") was put
    in Other Taxes and Credits on the electronic return. Is this correct?
    This goes on line 30 of page 2 of form 1040.
    Yes
    Should I now review all his medical Explanation of Benefit documents and medical bills and tally up all his nonreimbursable charges, e.g., medical deductibles, coinsurance (he reached, then exceeded, both ceilings) and put this total along with the
    taxi fares total on the medical expenses line on his return? Just the total of all of it? Do I need to attach an explanation or copies of EOBs or bills to prove this? I don't think there is a way to attach anything through eztaxreturn.com. Should I just
    put the total in and just wait until the possible IRS audit?
    Yes, but: For medical deductions to produce any tax benefit at all, he has to be better off with itemized deductions than with the standard deduction (is he?), and only the excess of the total amount of the qualified medical expenses over 7.5% of his
    AGI counts in.
    --

Or live in NJ where the state medical deduction begins at 2% of NJ gross income.

Ira Smilovitz, EA
    Leonia, NJ

--
    << >>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05