• Energy Tax Credits Through Tax Year 2021 and 2023

From Dimitrios Paskoudniakis@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 8 17:51:37 2023
    1. I am married filing jointly. By the time of our 2017 tax return, we claimed cumulative $500 in energy tax credits.

In 2021 we replaced our electric heat pumps (2). At the time of my 2021 return, I did not complete form 5395 since we already reached a cumulative of $500 in energy tax credits.

I want to confirm, for a married couple filing jointly both living in the one home that got the heat pumps in 2021, we cannot claim any further energy tax credit, correct? Is the $500 lifetime limit per married couple filing jointly for one home, or per
    spouse if filing jointly?

2. Later this year I plan to replace my roof and install solar panels. I expect no more credit for a roof replacement. For the solar install, I expect a lifetime claim of 30% of the parts and labor, but for tax year 2023, I may be limited in the amount
    of tax credit according to Instruction 5695 Energy Credit Limit Worksheet, then the remainder can be taken as a credit in tax year 2024. This is no longer subject to the above $500 lifetime credit, correct?

Did I get these right, or any corrections? Thanks.

--
    << ------------------------------------------------------- >>
    << The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
    << nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
    << that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
    << >>
    << The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
    << to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
    << are at www.asktax.org. >>
    << Copyright (2011) - All rights reserved. >>
    << ------------------------------------------------------- >>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)