• Joan is awful predicts the Hollywood strike causes

From Retrograde@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 14 23:25:53 2023
    From the «episode prob not written by an AI» department:
    Feed: Technology | The Guardian
    Title: Joan Is Awful: Black Mirror episode is every striking actor’s worst nightmare
    Author: Stuart Heritage
    Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 09:45:17 -0400
    Link: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/jul/13/joan-is-awful-black-mirror-striking-actors-nightmare

The AI satire in the most recent season has been used as an example of why the Screen Actors Guild must strike to protect their careers

With the most recent season of Black Mirror, you sensed that Charlie Brooker was
    keen to move away from his reputation as a prophet. Time and time again since his series hit the air, it has managed to correctly predict the future in all sorts of horrible ways. But this season felt like it was deliberately skewing away from reality precisely to avoid this happening again. After all, unless a hapless demon destroys Earth – or unless Britney Spears literally turns into a
    werewolf – then Brooker is probably in much safer territory.

Reader, it has happened already. Less than a month after it debuted, the Black Mirror episode Joan Is Awful has already become the unlikely figurehead of the potential Screen Actor’s Guild strike[1].
    Continue reading...[2]

Links:
    [1]: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/13/hollywood-actors-union-recommends-strike-as-talks-deadline-passes (link)
    [2]: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/jul/13/joan-is-awful-black-mirror-striking-actors-nightmare (link)

--
    I sure wish Usenet were owned by a petulant billionaire shitposter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Trew@21:1/5 to Retrograde on Sat Jul 15 12:43:45 2023
    On 7/14/2023 7:25 PM, Retrograde wrote:
    With the most recent season of Black Mirror, you sensed that Charlie Brooker was
    keen to move away from his reputation as a prophet. Time and time again since his series hit the air, it has managed to correctly predict the future in all sorts of horrible ways. But this season felt like it was deliberately skewing away from reality precisely to avoid this happening again. After all, unless a
    hapless demon destroys Earth – or unless Britney Spears literally turns into a
    werewolf – then Brooker is probably in much safer territory.

Reader, it has happened already. Less than a month after it debuted, the Black
    Mirror episode Joan Is Awful has already become the unlikely figurehead of the
    potential Screen Actor’s Guild strike[1].

Y'all know how I feel about AI. I did watch all of the Black Mirror
    episodes on Netflix some time ago; I didn't know that they were making
    more. It has an interesting story line, and unfortunately, I see
    technology going the way that they predict.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)