• What it might mean to be a Hispanic

From Dan Urtiz@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 10 13:03:02 2019
    Although I sometimes might consider myself to be a Hispanic, there might exist those who would dispute that self-label. The various reasons that I consider myself to be Hispanic are as follows. First, both my last name and surname might be Spanish of
    origin or nature. I was born with such names and did not acquire them after birth. Secondly, although I myself am a US citizen and was born on American soil, my immediate origins through both of my parents lie in a Latin American nation, that of Mexico.
    Also, although I might be more proficient in English than I am in the Spanish language, I can in fact speak at least some Spanish. Lastly, I simply like the Hispanic culture, or at least my concept of it. There might be racists and other such indecent
    people among Hispanics as with most any other race, but in general I think that they tend to be nicer and more civil than certain other peoples that I have come across.

Why would someone challenge my right to be a Hispanic? I think that my brown skin color might be one reason for such rejection. Also, I might not appear as certain Hispanics do, having a possibly almost Hindu-like visage. Finally, my manners might be a
    bit coarse in comparison to certain more elegant Hispanics, which I personally do not believe is necessarily a very important variable.

In my opinion, no individual should become a Hispanic for monetary gain alone. I do not want any piece of the “Hispanic pie”. I simply like the art and the culture and do not believe that it should necessarily be anyone’s business at all what
    culture I choose to identify with.

My private notion is that the Hispanic ethnicity should be a bit open ended, perhaps more of a culture than a racial phenotype alone. In that sense, I believe that those individuals who might be sincere enough about adopting the cultural norms of the
    Hispanic culture should be allowed to convert to such an ethnicity, just as one might be able to convert to certain religions. I imagine that problems with that concept might potentially arise, however, with illicit lifeforms entering the frays of the
    Hispanic ethnicity solely for self-gain or to subterfuge other Hispanics.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)