• The Wonda-Chair! (2nd Try)

From deobrien4@gmail.com@21:1/5 to julian cortella on Fri May 13 11:41:56 2016
    On Monday, June 29, 1992 at 12:46:32 PM UTC-7, julian cortella wrote:
    (This is my 2nd try at posting this. It burped the first time.)

Hi, folks!

So, what did you do this weekend? I went to a "Safety Seminar" for first time parents. My wife and I are expecting our first ankle-biter in a
    couple of months, and we were recently sent a flyer announcing a safety seminar and information session concerning baby furniture. It was sponsored by an outfit known as Baby World, which supposedly has some stores back
    east (anybody in Batimore or Atlanta heard of these guys?).

The flyer promised a free gift to anyone who showed up, so I immediately
    knew it was a sales scam. Nowhere on the flyer did it say what they were selling, so my wife and I were pretty much willing to go just to find out what they were selling.

So, we went to this "safety seminar" wondering what they were going to shove down our throats. They started with a discussion of cribs and car seats which was quite informative, actually. They gave some info on safety standards and the like, and some good design features we new parents should be looking for. Then each discussion was ended with a "this particular (insert item) is known as the (insert brand name) and retails for (insert price). But it wasn't flagrant selling, so we didn't mind much.

Things really got going when the guy started talking about the dangers of strollers and high chairs. They get tipped over too easily, they're hard
    to clean, they're uncomfortable. The discussion went quickly from general safety to an outright sales pitch of the Wonda-Chair. The Wonda-Chair is what the dozen or so couples were lured there for. It is a very industrial looking chair that appears very sturdy, well-built, safe, easy to clean.
    The real feature of this chair is its convertability. Everything snaps together. It comes with many attachments which make it possible to use this chair for anything. It is a high chair. The chair snaps off and fits into
    a wheel base as a stroller. The chair reclines and can be used as a changing table. The base of the high chair can actually be used as a desk with the chair.

Let's see, what else?

You were given an attachment basinette which fit the wheel base and made a fairly nice stroller.
    The high chair had many adjustable positions, so it wasn't likely your kid would outgrow it or ever be too small for it. It could convert to a "real chair" as your kid grows up. They "threw in" a car seat which would
    attach directly to the wheel base, so you could take your kid straight from the car to a stroller without waking him/her up. The whole thing seemed
    very well designed and constructed.

I had a few complaints. The main one being cost. The price of the whole enchilada is $799.95. Of course, that was only the show price. Retail is $899.95. It also is very industrail looking. I had visions of wheelchairs and orthopedic equipment as I was being showed this stuff. Another problem is size. Everything is quite big, although you might save some room by eliminating stroller/basinette/carriage that you might otherwise buy.

However, I must admit that what turned me off most was the sales tactic.
    This "Amazing Discovery" - free gift (which, of course was junk) - we're holding a safety seminar - smelly salesman approach really turns me off.

If this product is so great, why isn't it in stores? Why do I have to buy
    it from this one distributor? Why haven't I heard of it before?

So, here's the real question - Are there any Wonda-Chair owners out there? What are your feelings about the product? Is there anyone else who attended one of these Baby World "seminars"?

I know the two hours wasn't a total waste; I got some free cookies and juice out of them.

-julian

Back in the dark ages, we bought one for our first child. At the time we were living in a small condo in Coronado and felt that anything that had multiple uses and did not take up a lot of space was a win for us. Jogging strollers were just coming to
    market and while I wanted one they were expensive and had only one use, not a good thing when living in a space that had less than 1300 sf. So for me, purchasing this highchair/stroller system was a win. Not only did I use it daily as a stroller and
    high chair, I used the accompanying carseat both in the car and in the stroller base. I walked miles pushing that stroller, including over the Coronado Bridge and throughout San Diego Zoo. The handles were high enough that it was comfortable for me to
    push even post surgery. At the time most of my friends on the island were replacing their strollers every year cause they were breaking down. When we had our second, I was able to purchase a tandem attachment so that I could put both girls in the
    stroller at the same time. Twice I pushed it over the bridge with both girls in it, roughly 60 pounds.

When my girls got older, they would use the high chair as their dentist chair in their pretend play. The table and chair was handy for art projects and when I used the rocker function with the seat the girls could rock their babies. Now that they are
    grown, the table is still handy and used everyday as a bedside table.

I really think buying this chair was one of the best decisions we made.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From debecker74@gmail.com@21:1/5 to julian cortella on Tue Oct 31 12:26:01 2017
    On Monday, June 29, 1992 at 3:46:32 PM UTC-4, julian cortella wrote:

Hi, folks!

So, what did you do this weekend? I went to a "Safety Seminar" for first time parents. My wife and I are expecting our first ankle-biter in a
    couple of months, and we were recently sent a flyer announcing a safety seminar and information session concerning baby furniture. It was sponsored by an outfit known as Baby World, which supposedly has some stores back

knew it was a sales scam. Nowhere on the flyer did it say what they were selling, so my wife and I were pretty much willing to go just to find out what they were selling.

So, we went to this "safety seminar" wondering what they were going to shove down our throats. They started with a discussion of cribs and car seats which was quite informative, actually. They gave some info on safety standards and the like, and some good design features we new parents should be looking for. Then each discussion was ended with a "this particular (insert item) is known as the (insert brand name) and retails for (insert price). But it wasn't flagrant selling, so we didn't mind much.

Things really got going when the guy started talking about the dangers of strollers and high chairs. They get tipped over too easily, they're hard
    to clean, they're uncomfortable. The discussion went quickly from general safety to an outright sales pitch of the Wonda-Chair. The Wonda-Chair is what the dozen or so couples were lured there for. It is a very industrial looking chair that appears very sturdy, well-built, safe, easy to clean.
    The real feature of this chair is its convertability. Everything snaps together. It comes with many attachments which make it possible to use this chair for anything. It is a high chair. The chair snaps off and fits into
    a wheel base as a stroller. The chair reclines and can be used as a changing table. The base of the high chair can actually be used as a desk with the chair.

Let's see, what else?

You were given an attachment basinette which fit the wheel base and made a fairly nice stroller.
    The high chair had many adjustable positions, so it wasn't likely your kid would outgrow it or ever be too small for it. It could convert to a "real chair" as your kid grows up. They "threw in" a car seat which would
    attach directly to the wheel base, so you could take your kid straight from the car to a stroller without waking him/her up. The whole thing seemed

I had a few complaints. The main one being cost. The price of the whole enchilada is $799.95. Of course, that was only the show price. Retail is $899.95. It also is very industrail looking. I had visions of wheelchairs and orthopedic equipment as I was being showed this stuff. Another problem is size. Everything is quite big, although you might save some room by eliminating stroller/basinette/carriage that you might otherwise buy.

This "Amazing Discovery" - free gift (which, of course was junk) - we're holding a safety seminar - smelly salesman approach really turns me off.

So, here's the real question - Are there any Wonda-Chair owners out there? What are your feelings about the product? Is there anyone else who attended one of these Baby World "seminars"?

I know the two hours wasn't a total waste; I got some free cookies and juice out of them.

-julian

Hi,
    We bought this outfit almost 30 years ago and used it for my two sons. I liked it and had no problem with anything. The only thing was the tray cracked and and I came on here to look for a replacement because I now have a grandson. We kept everything
    except for the car seat. So hoping to find a tray and still be able to use it. Although my son didn't want us to use the bassinet for his baby because it had been in storage for so long. :-)
    Deb

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From callbastedo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 21 05:25:12 2018
    Also have wonda chair used by our daughter ..loved it.... we had seat re.upholstered and going to use for grandchildren...need new highchair tray...could you please tell me where you found ...thanks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From callbastedo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 21 05:28:54 2018
    Hello ... we want to also use ours for granddaughter.... need tray also ... can you help... thanks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kocherbaily@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 24 10:59:13 2018
    Hi,
    We bought ours almost 44 years ago. I found this blog while looking for the instructions because I can't remember what the one piece is used for. Not only did we make use of the whole thing, and love it, we are now getting it out to use for a
    Grandchild. No one ran over us or bumped into the baby/child at an amusement park when we were using the carriage or stroller! They threw in a regular crib when we bought it for $400 at the demonstration. Used it for 3 kids, and it still looks great!
    Never regretted our decision to buy it. Back in the 70's there were limited car seats and not even seat belts were required, so it was smart to have back then. I still love the carriage, stroller and high chair. May use the rocker and chair and table
    for Brayden, too. No regrets here!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From maureen.layton@wsdpanthers.org@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 2 20:13:38 2019
    In need of the high chair tray for the wonder chair. Any ideas help would greatly appreciated. Thank you Maureen

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From sparrkysgirl@gmail.com@21:1/5 to julian cortella on Mon Jan 20 13:02:24 2020
    On Monday, June 29, 1992 at 3:46:32 PM UTC-4, julian cortella wrote:

Hi, folks!

Let's see, what else?

-julian

We also went to a sales pitch, in 1991. Bought the whole kit and kaboodle. I think my parents paid for part of it. At the time I wanted an old school carriage and this was the only way to get one. This literally went through eight children. Used the
    pram more than anything, especially handy as a bassinet. High chair was perfect. Only downfall was we bought the blue plush and it rubbed ff after being wiped down so much. I was sad to let it go about 10 years ago when we moved.

Donna Evans

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05