• Re: First Impressions

From Aurelius Figueredo@21:1/5 to James Logajan on Tue Sep 12 22:10:11 2023
    On Friday, April 9, 1993 at 12:19:49 PM UTC-7, James Logajan wrote:
    In article <114...@bu.edu>, mge...@bu.edu (Michael Gelman) writes:
    P D H (p...@netcom.com) wrote:
    : cs8...@brunel.ac.uk (Sunil Gupta) writes:
    :
    : >You are fortunate that there is a misc.jobs.resumes. I'm certainly no hiring
    : >manager but would you really form a first impression which was so inflexible?
    It probably isn't worth getting to a discussion of what is the
    "proper" thing to look for in a first impression. When I've
    interviewed people, I always try to toss out my first impression,
    under the theory that it's based on something irrational.
    So why ARE first impressions so highly stressed? Why aren't more hiring managers and HR people taught to avoid first impressions? The danger of first impressions is, as Michael Gelman points out, that it will be based on something irrational. And too many HR types that stress the importance of making a good first impression are unconcerned about the impression they present to the interviewee. I have had to throw out some very bad first impressions of a number of firms I have interviewed at. Sometimes it did indicate a serious problem with the firm, sometimes it was just a glitch.
    --
    James Logajan jam...@apertus.com or jam...@apertus.mn.org
    Apertus Technologies
    Most of the people on this post are probably retired, signed off or probably dead. But who cares? I have waited 30 years to post this. This posting got me a job at a wonderful company where I just completed 30 years last week.

To give you some background, I was an immigrant refugee desperate to stay in the US and did whatever it took to legally stay here. But who cares right? We must never try to fit a square peg in a round hole. No one ever tries to do that in the US.

Peace out!

Aurelius - Systems Administrator!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)