• What happens when electric neutral cut/disconnected?

From millerjn45@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 26 20:03:02 2016
    This guy is exactly right. I had the same situation at an automotive shop. Some items seemed to be fine and other just lagging a bit. Measurements at the panel were about the same. Low on one leg and high on the other. Called out the utility company
    and they too fixed by reconnecting the neutral going to the pole mounted transformer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From michaeloneill1984@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 21 21:48:05 2016
    It depends... where is the break in your neutral, and are you on a single or multigang meterbase?

The bond screw in a mains switch or breaker panel connects neutral to ground. The screw is removed in panels of multi unit dwellings, even if they are individually metered.only one connection between neutral and ground per service, according to
    ontario electrical code.

In a multi-meter building, if the neutral has failed between the meterbase and the panel, all kinds of funky shit can happen.120v devices will perform weirdly if at all.

However,

- if it is the service neutral
    - or the neutral between a single gang meterbase and a main panel/switch,
    - and the ground is low impedence (a good ground)

The user may experience absolutely no difference in performance because the bond screw carries the unbalanced load to earth. The is no requirement that the electrons travel back to the transformer.

We had an ice storm. Lost my neutral for a week. No problem. Single service meterbase.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hadleyjunker@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 6 17:59:50 2016
    4th time in 15 years our neutral was broken. This last time was the most expensive. Fried hard drive, aqaustat on furnace,melted 5 surge protectors, 2 fans, 1 tv. I got to the main switch within 1 minute too. I was told by met ed it will eventually
    burn the wires in the walls if power not cut off to house. I flip the main and fire dept calls in the pole to met ed to shut down asap. They fix on their own time. Tree is getting cut down

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From foreverjne@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 27 13:38:06 2016
    I just experienced a brief power interruption at my house. When the power came back after a minute or so, the lights flashed once before staying on again.
    After that, I noticed my floor fan and ceiling fans ran slower than usual. Some incandescent lights were also much dimmer than. Other lights on other circuits were fine. My central air seemed to be running fine too. After about an hour, the lights and
    fans all started working normal again. I did a visual check of my panel and nothing appeared or smelled bad.

Could the "loose neutral" be causing the problem? I'm concerned there's a serious electrical problem that may cause more problems later. I called Southern California Edison and was told that I needed to be currently experiencing problem for Edison to
    send crews out to check.

My next step is to check my panel for any loose or burned wiring.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jesse C.@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 20 12:14:01 2016
    XPost: alt.home.repair

replying to S. Barker, Jesse C. wrote:
    That's very common with direct burial. I know, I've dug a lot of holes and busted a lot of concrete in my day making splices.

--
    for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/what-happens-when-electric-neutral-cut-disconnected-315303-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hassanahmed2@gmail.com@21:1/5 to John Grabowski on Mon Oct 31 02:40:20 2016
    On Friday, 27 June 2008 04:38:43 UTC+5, John Grabowski wrote:
    "Bill" <billnomailnospamx@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6cijfmF3epirsU1@mid.individual.net...
    I've seen "loose neutral" connections on electric service panels, but
    never a fully disconnected neutral with the two hots remaining connected.

So I was wondering what exactly would happen if a residential electric service (3 wire 240/120 with neutral) lost just the electric company neutral connection but had a good ground to the neutral bar in the main panel?

Would current flow to the ground connection?

If the load was not balanced between the two hots (only every other
    breaker in use at the time [extreme situation]), could the ground wire potentially carry say the full amperage of one of the hots?

Or in other words, should the ground wire in the main electric panel be sized to carry the full load of one leg of the service should this situation happen?

The neutral conductor is the return path for the current back to the transformer. If the transformer as well as the home had a good grounding system and soil conditions were right, current would flow through the earth to the transformer.

If there was not an ideal grounding system in place you could possibly have 220 volts going to circuits that shared a neutral conductor.

The electrical code does not require that your grounding electrode conductor be the same size as your neutral conductor, which incidentally is normally smaller than your hot conductors.

Dear John,

You referred to an Electric Code that doesn't require the Ground conductor to be the same as Neutral. Can you please mention the specific Code # you are referring to?

BR
    Hassan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TE W@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 14 21:44:01 2017

replying to RBM, TE W wrote:
    The neutral on my Daughter's house was cut by AT&T. That burned every wall socket that was in use in the house and burned off the driven ground. It may not be noticeable at first but as the ground rode caroades from cathodic effect. BE CAREFUL

--
    for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/what-happens-when-electric-neutral-cut-disconnected-315303-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zahidul Haque Nayem Shikdder@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 17 13:14:02 2017

replying to Bill, Zahidul Haque Nayem Shikdder, from Bangladesh wrote:
    All are bogus 100% practical skilled is when neutral is cut from the load then the black wire will be variated as phase current.

--
    for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/what-happens-when-electric-neutral-cut-disconnected-315303-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From josephrobinson69@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 7 19:16:08 2018
    My house is doing the same thing and they are telling me they are going to have to dig in the morning I knew I wasn't crazy the first guy came out 8 months ago and told me I had electrical problem inside my house I knew that was a lie my house was almost
    brand new

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From martyca65@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Bill on Tue Mar 13 20:07:31 2018
    On Friday, June 27, 2008 at 6:28:04 AM UTC+8, Bill wrote:
    I've seen "loose neutral" connections on electric service panels, but never
    a fully disconnected neutral with the two hots remaining connected.

So I was wondering what exactly would happen if a residential electric service (3 wire 240/120 with neutral) lost just the electric company neutral connection but had a good ground to the neutral bar in the main panel?

If the load was not balanced between the two hots (only every other breaker in use at the time [extreme situation]), could the ground wire potentially carry say the full amperage of one of the hots?

Or in other words, should the ground wire in the main electric panel be
    sized to carry the full load of one leg of the service should this situation happen?

Here in Perth Western Australia, we had a girl get electrocuted when an open neutral electrified the garden tap.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-05/what-causes-taps-to-be-electrified/9508664

So be careful and get an electrician to check it out.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From edwinrudman02@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 22 22:16:42 2018
    Edwin Rudman Edwinrudman02@gmail.com ,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Smitty@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 3 04:14:09 2018

replying to The Daring Dufas, Smitty wrote:
    I could be wrong but most of not all service neutrals are all alluminum. No steel strand, because they usually are only pulled hand right depending on the length of the span. They attached to the service spool or eyebolts usually
    with preforms or wrapped back to themselves with a crimped connection. Same at the house mast or house knob to a preform or some other form of attachment,
    and is connected with an H block connector to the service neutral from the meter box

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lakehouse4262@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 10 01:12:31 2018
    This just happened to our house. The 220 flowed in. Lots.of popping and surfing of electronic circuits

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Murphy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 10 19:14:01 2018

replying to N8N, Jim Murphy wrote:
    To my knowledge, the house service is fed three wire, two hots one neutral. In the meter panel, the ground connection and the neutral from the street end up getting tied together in the meter socket. Any inbalance in the load returns
    to the source, in this case, the transformer hung at the pole or wherever. So if you lose the neutral, you may or may not even notice it depending on where the neutral is open, and if you have a decent ground or not but yes, houses have burnt because of this especially when things like a refridgerator get 240 volts instead of 120. Code up here is two 8 foot ground rods driven 6 feet apart. This ground goes into the meter box and ends up tying on the same grounding block as the street neutral.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Min@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 5 16:44:01 2019

replying to S. Barker, Min wrote:
    Excellent description of your event. My brother had the same problem with his house. Since, current was going through the grounding electrode the basement bathtub faucet was live.and can gave you a little shock. I found the green colour corroded ground (neutral) termination next to the overhead service
    mast. After one polite phone call to Toronto hydro as a home owner they came over with a crane to fix the problem. Just remember to be polite and reasonably technical if you are not an electrician when calling the utility as they can easily send you to a third party for investigation.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From billstocoski4686@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 13 01:31:22 2020
    Explain to me why the Tri plex wire was putting A 136 V in the my residence

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Christopher@21:1/5 to S. Barker on Tue Apr 27 06:20:36 2021
    On Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 8:00:48 PM UTC-4, S. Barker wrote:
    I can answer this with experience. A long long time ago, (about 1987) we experience some weird happenings with our lights and whole house fan. The whole house fan is what tipped us off to the problem initially. It all of a sudden just slowed down. Some lights were bright, some were dim. The TV
    would not come on. After poking around a bit, i got out the (analog) meter and found some outlets had about 80 volts and others had about 144. Then, some how, i had the brilliant idea of turning on the oven. When i turned
    the oven on, the fan went back to normal, the lights normal. The 240v load apparently balanced the system. I was at somewhat of a loss at that point.
    I was not near as experience in electrical things at that time. I called an electrician friend of mine, he came down, poked around in the box some and decided to loosen the ground on the buss. "OH! GUESS WHAT? Fire on the ground" he said. I'm like "what's that mean"?. He said "well even though
    i've never seen this before, it sure looks like an open neutral. So i get
    on the horn with the power company. FYI, it was Kansas City Power and
    Light. They come out, and basically look at what i'm experiencing and the first thing the guy does is pull the meter. Then he measures the voltages
    on the incoming legs. All is equal. Then he tells me the problem must be
    on the inside. Puts the meter back in and the imbalance returns. "yep , he says, problem is on your side". So at this point, i'm at wits end, not knowing what to do, so I calls the fire dept and they say 'do you have a fire'? I says no, but I will, if someone does not fix this power imbalance. So that prompts a little higher level of action from KCPL, and they come out again. The service guy makes all his checks and then talks on the radio for
    a while. His supervisor says "you know that sounds like an open neutral".
    The guy comes back and says they suspect an open neutral. At that point, I explode. I said "NO SHIT SHERLOCK" I told you guys that 3 hours ago. They
    ran a bare wire from my meter can to the service box on the street and lo
    and behold, all becomes normal again. (did i mention i have underground service?) They came out the next day and started digging. About a foot
    from my water meter, at a depth of about 16" the neutral wire was corroded clean in half. Apparently it had been nicked by the backhoe putting in the water line 10 year prior. Well anyway, they fixed the wire, and all was
    good for exactly a year to the day. It was so weird, one year later, HALF
    the stuff in the house quit working. I had a dead leg. When they came out,
    i explained what had happened the year before and so they dug again. Sure enough, about 2 feet from the neutral problem, one of the hot legs had corroded in half.
    Well anyway, that's my long and drawn out story of an open neutral. I
    forgot to mention, I took all the documents from the open neutral service down to the KCPL office in downtown KC, Missouri and collected a check for one TV and 2 VCRs. They were fried.
    steve barker
    "Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6cijfmF...@mid.individual.net...
    I've seen "loose neutral" connections on electric service panels, but
    never a fully disconnected neutral with the two hots remaining connected.

If the load was not balanced between the two hots (only every other
    breaker in use at the time [extreme situation]), could the ground wire potentially carry say the full amperage of one of the hots?

Or in other words, should the ground wire in the main electric panel be sized to carry the full load of one leg of the service should this situation happen?

thank you for posting this story!!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cody schwegel@21:1/5 to Michael Dobony on Fri Jan 21 12:32:51 2022
    On Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 6:19:55 AM UTC-8, Michael Dobony wrote:
    On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:56:18 +0000, westom wrote:
    responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/What-happens-when-electric-neutral-cut-disconnected-315303-.htm
    westom wrote:
    Bill wrote:
    So I was wondering what exactly would happen if a residential electric
    service (3 wire 240/120 with neutral) lost just the electric company
    neutral connection but had a good ground to the neutral bar in the
    main panel?
    -------------------------------------
    Obviously an earth ground is not as conductive as a neutral wire. But it does not have to be in most cases.

In a three wire (bi-phase) service, must current entering on one hot
    wire leaves on the other. Only current that flows in a neutral is due to imbalance in the load.

A safety ground is not as conductive as the neutral. But it should be conductive enough so that current does not use other paths. For example,
    in one house, the earth ground was completely missing. A neutral wire
    broke inside the street transformer. So current took a return path via the gas meter. When insulators finally broke down, the house exploded.
    How did it find that path? There has to be a connection somewhere that
    should NOT be there. If the neutral is broken the current does NOT automatically go to the earth ground unless there is an improper connection as these are supposed to be isolated. In a stove the 240 elements will continue to function as long as there are no controls that require 120 as these will all be shut down. That is, a computer controlled stove will
    cease to function, but an old fashioned stove with simple controls will
    still cook and heat as they use only the opposing hot legs. The neutral is only used where 120 is required.

Homeowner knowledge is quite simple to avert such failures. If
    incandescent bulbs change intensity when major appliance power cycle, then get the problem eliminates. In most cases, that light intensity change is
    a minor problem. In some cases, it indicates a threat to human life. At
    no time should lights change intensity due to appliance power cycling. Never ignore the symptom because in rare cases it could be a major human safety threat such as failed neutral.
    There is often a slight momentary dimming at the moment of startup of a refrigerator compressor or central air compressor.

Actually, The ground is bonded to the neutral in one location on all services (typically we see this at the meter base). This means if the incoming neutral is lost, then current automatically goes to ground. A poor ground will cause all of the problems
    you mention, but if your ground resistance is less than 25 Ohms, you may never see a problem.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05