• LOD Death - Ambulance Crew in AL

From ddkallerson@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Tim Newman on Mon Sep 7 14:44:52 2015
    On Sunday, December 22, 1996 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Tim Newman wrote:
    Paramedic Charles Edwards of Birmingham and EMT Randy Capp of Jasper, both
    of CareLine Alabama, were killed Thursday Morning, 12-19-96, when their ambulance was struck by a freight train. They were returning from a call
    in which they backed up another unit on. They were following the
    ambulance which was transporting non-emergency. The lead ambulance
    crossed the tracks and as their unit approached the crossing, their view
    was obscured by parked rail cars on a side track.The accident was
    witnessed by Capp's wife, who was the Paramedic doing patient care in the lead unit. They were crossing the tracks at a crawl when their unit was impacted by the train at 42 mph. The accident happened in Jasper, Walker County, AL about 60 miles Northwest of Birmingham. Their funerals were
    today (Saturday 12-21-96). Our condolences go out to the families of
    both. They will be sorely missed in Alabama.

Any information that is inaccurate in this report is purely accidental.

Tim Newman
    Communications Supervisor
    Decatur EMS, Inc.
    Decatur, AL

I worked with both Charles and Randy. Charles was our 1st Supervisor/Manager when Careline opened its Anniston,Alabama branch. I remember that day as it was yesterday even though its been 19 years and some. RIP
    Douglas Kallerson
    Retired Nationally Registered Paramedic LOD
    Sligo
    Ireland

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From daniel anderson@21:1/5 to ddkal...@gmail.com on Tue Sep 8 18:12:14 2015
    On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 5:45:13 PM UTC-4, ddkal...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, December 22, 1996 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Tim Newman wrote:
    Paramedic Charles Edwards of Birmingham and EMT Randy Capp of Jasper, both of CareLine Alabama, were killed Thursday Morning, 12-19-96, when their ambulance was struck by a freight train. They were returning from a call in which they backed up another unit on. They were following the ambulance which was transporting non-emergency. The lead ambulance crossed the tracks and as their unit approached the crossing, their view was obscured by parked rail cars on a side track.The accident was witnessed by Capp's wife, who was the Paramedic doing patient care in the lead unit. They were crossing the tracks at a crawl when their unit was impacted by the train at 42 mph. The accident happened in Jasper, Walker County, AL about 60 miles Northwest of Birmingham. Their funerals were today (Saturday 12-21-96). Our condolences go out to the families of both. They will be sorely missed in Alabama.

Any information that is inaccurate in this report is purely accidental.

Tim Newman
    Communications Supervisor
    Decatur EMS, Inc.
    Decatur, AL

I worked with both Charles and Randy. Charles was our 1st Supervisor/Manager when Careline opened its Anniston,Alabama branch. I remember that day as it was yesterday even though its been 19 years and some. RIP
    Douglas Kallerson
    Retired Nationally Registered Paramedic LOD
    Sligo
    Ireland

don't you hate it when someone is LODD? man we have had some big ones- Al Ronaldson when a building collapsed in 1991 the Guthrie Air crew when they crashed in the same year in severe snow Tommy Williams when he fell from a building in 1992 Christie
    Wilson when the Critical Air Cessna 421 she was flying in crashed in 1993 the LODD's on 9/11 and of course many others and of course in my neck of the woods Jeff Bowen in Asheville not too long ago it is sad when you have someone LODD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)