• Window A/C unit - drill holes in water pan ?

From Jim C@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 16 02:44:02 2017
    XPost: alt.home.repair

replying to jeff, Jim C wrote:
    Had the same problem with a 12 k BTU LG unit. The same water it holds and slings eventually turns to sludge. Mine was loud and would blow water drops through the vent that blows the cold air.. The only fix I found was to remove it and take it outside and clean all the sludge. The fans have sealed boxes that hold it also and have to be wiped out until its gone. I had to keep blasting it out with a garden hose and pushing a cloth inside small openings
    in the fan boxes to remove it all or it will do the same thing in no time. Regret ever buying it now.

--
    for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/window-a-c-unit-drill-holes-in-water-pan-521719-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From monkey@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 21 22:14:02 2017

replying to TURTLE, monkey wrote:
    "If all possible, try to live with the water in it every year and deal with."

What about the problem of the bottom of the coil "rusting out"? I've had a relatively brand new unit (2 yrs old) fail because of the bottom inch or so of the rear coils oxidizing to the point of it freon leaking. Both the copper
    pipe and the aluminum fins disintegrated into white and green paste!

--
    for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/window-a-c-unit-drill-holes-in-water-pan-521719-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From sirstv@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 13 01:14:02 2018

replying to HeatMan, sirstv wrote:
    Ok I have this type of unit and it’s pitched back but when I have it on energy saver I throws a lot of water out where the air blows out and also runs down the front where the filter is. I’ve put two large towels down on the carpet but why should I need to do this? As usual the freakin power outlet is directly below it. It has no drain holes on the bottom or the side and this is Colorado where we don’t get high humidty. Heck we’re in a fire danger
    since winter. If I turn it on and just let it run 24-7 it’s better but I guess so much for the energy saver part so I don’t have to keep it on that much. Why Is it the fan is forcing up water through the styrofoam airflow area and why so much?

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bobby@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 13 03:44:03 2018

replying to sirstv, Bobby wrote:
    You could have accumulated dirt in the pan that does not let the water run to the back. Many an AC has been killed by drilling holes and hitting the coil. Pitch it bakc more yoo.

--
    for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/re-window-a-c-unit-drill-holes-in-water-pan-1166269-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Riley@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 19 02:44:02 2018

replying to Mark, James Riley wrote:
    I'm in Colorado in a desert environment. A guest just complained about a
    smell coming from the AC. I cleaned the filter. No joy. I found water in
    the pan. Drilled two holes, one on either side of the coils in the bottom of the pan. Water drained immediately. Put disinfectant/deodorizer in the pan and all around. Smell stopped. Now, is my unit going to quit working or burn up? Don't care about a higher electric bill as long as it doesn't smell and
    it blows cold air. Thanks in advance for any comments.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From b0a769cf562f65b36b4f75a0444374b8@ex@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 6 13:15:02 2021

Have the sloshing designed modern window window air conditioners. Live in Alabama. They are about 3 Dr from a permanent storage building behind the house. I became weary because of the noise of the sloshing, because I work in a high noise environment.
    Also disappointed with water slinging all over the deck which attracts roaches.After much study, I planned to drill a hole (or holes, if need be) to allow the unit to just drain condensate water into a bucket. After all, I thought, I only paid less than $
    150 for it, so why not try to solve the problem. I called an AC friend, he said don't do it. Same reasons as others have given on these posts(increases head pressure, is designed with the splash ring in the fan, etc) but after reading the experience of
    someone else, whose success was encouraging I decided to try. The first try, I was angry when I came home from work (remember the noisy work environment, and my wife had that noisy and sloppy window AC running. I went out to the truck, grabbed a cordless
    drill and a 1/4" drill bit. Next I drilled a hole and struck the splash trim ring on the fan. That required me to remove the AC from the window, place it on a bench. Had to remove the cabinet, the fan blade, purchase a new fan blade, trim the splash ring
    off, drill a hole through the bottom in the correct and lowest place, then reassemble, and placed in window. Walla! Success! I did this to an additional ac for another window. The units work great have been doing this for 9 years. Finally gave one away
    when I could afford a mini split. Additionally, the window units require disassembly to remove mildew that forms on the Styrofoam insulation. The cost of the same window AC today is about $229 .(Lowe's) My little window AC needs cleaning again, I suppose
    the same as a three year old unit left intact, I would guess.

--
    For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/window-a-c-unit-drill-holes-in-water-pan-521719-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed Pawlowski@21:1/5 to miketrettel@gmail.com on Fri Aug 6 11:57:20 2021

On 8/6/2021 9:15 AM, miketrettel@gmail.com wrote:
    Have the sloshing  designed modern window window air conditioners. Live
    in Alabama. They are about 3 Dr from a permanent storage building behind
    the house. I became weary because of the noise of the sloshing, because
    I work in a high noise environment.Also disappointed with water slinging
    all over the deck which attracts roaches.After much study, I planned to
    drill a hole (or holes, if need be) to allow the unit to just drain condensate water into a bucket. After all, I thought, I only paid less
    than $150 for it, so why not try to solve the problem. I called an AC
    friend, he said don't do it. Same reasons as others have given on these posts(increases head pressure, is designed with the splash ring in the
    fan, etc) but after reading the experience of someone else, whose
    success was encouraging I decided to try. The first try, I was angry
    when I came home from work (remember the noisy work environment, and my
    wife had that noisy and sloppy window AC running. I went out to the
    truck, grabbed a cordless drill and a 1/4" drill bit. Next I drilled a
    hole and struck the splash trim ring on the fan. That required me to
    remove the AC from the window, place it on a bench. Had to remove the cabinet, the fan blade, purchase a new fan blade, trim the splash ring
    off, drill a hole through the bottom in the correct and lowest place,
    then reassemble, and placed in window. Walla! Success! I did this to an additional ac for another window. The units work great have been doing
    this for 9 years. Finally gave one away when I could afford a mini
    split. Additionally, the window units require disassembly to remove
    mildew that forms on the Styrofoam insulation. The cost of the same
    window AC today is about $229 .(Lowe's) My little window AC needs
    cleaning again, I suppose the same as a three year old unit left intact,
    I would guess.

You were lucky. Many of the dummies drill through the base and into the
    coil. Then it is trash.

Draining the water can also diminish capacity as it acts as evaporative
    cooling on the coil.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05