• Sinking yard -- what could cause it?

From JackS@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 8 02:44:01 2017
    XPost: alt.home.repair

replying to v, JackS wrote:
    Hi, I google this topic and find this old discussion since I ran into the same problem. I don't know whether the original poster had resolved this problem if he/she can post the experiences, it will be greatly appreciated.

I owned a townhome built in 2005 by Ryan Homes and now is my rental property since 2012. I noticed there was a sinkhole in my front yard around 2008. My mother-in-law used a one and half feet long stick to try to measure it but it could not reach to the solid bottom. So I filled with some soils and bricks
    and did not really pay attention to it.

I did some yard work there recently and noticed the whole front yard were sinking. There is a basement in the house. In 2013, I noticed there was a leaking in the sewer line about 5 feet below the ground. I turn off the water in the house. It is still leaking. So the leaking water is not from the house. I asked couple of plumbers. None of them could figure it out and it became a mystery to me. Now, my question is can I hold Ryan Homes accountable for
    this? I checked my purchase contract and it cover the structure for 10 years which is apparently over. But I remembered the sales person did mention that the foundation would be covered lifetime. Is this consider a foundation problem? What options do I have to reduce my financial loss? Thanks.

--
    for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/sinking-yard-what-could-cause-it-538212-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)