• =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_=22Some_disabled_people_have_even_decided_to_end_t?= =?

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Mon Oct 31 20:40:50 2022
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 8:18:53 PM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
    Concerning assisted dying, according to this:

- Some disabled people have even decided to end their lives because their healthcare expenses grew too costly...But I’m still in favor of right-to-die rules that offer end-of-life options to more than just terminally ill patients. I’ve felt that
    way ever since I watched my grandmother waste away slowly with Alzheimer’s over many years. She had told us often that she wanted to end her life before she became unable to read, speak, feed herself or dress herself. Yet for almost a decade she lay in
    a nursing home bed in just that condition, and there was nothing we could do to help her despite knowing her long-standing, unwavering preference.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2022-09-19/aid-in-dying-assisted-suicide

Do you have any feelings about that issue?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Fri Nov 11 02:13:11 2022
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 7:40:53 PM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:

- Some disabled people have even decided to end their lives because their healthcare expenses grew too costly...But I’m still in favor of right-to-die rules that offer end-of-life options to more than just terminally ill patients. I’ve felt that
    way ever since I watched my grandmother waste away slowly with Alzheimer’s over many years. She had told us often that she wanted to end her life before she became unable to read, speak, feed herself or dress herself. Yet for almost a decade she lay in
    a nursing home bed in just that condition, and there was nothing we could do to help her despite knowing her long-standing, unwavering preference.

----------------
    Must be the issue of euthanasia is related to abortion, and the question of who has the right to decide? Seems like the owner of the body has right to decide, since the option to end life can be exercised by oneself.

In Alaska, where I live, there are occasional reports of a remote cabin and its occupant burning up. Not sure how to factor in how individuals seeking relief opt for alcohol and illegal drugs, gang membership, maybe military service. Because our
    churches are not that much part of the equation any more, who beside social workers are helping individuals? Main problem probably concerns family ties, which are important to us all.

I, myself, had a parent who crashed his airplane and suffered part of his brain removed, leaving him in another world of personal care monitoring. At one point, the family decided to opt for euthanasia for him and arranged for someone to shut off his
    oxygen supply at the hospital when we were there. I agreed to this, found that only two others would be there, and turned the oxygen back on when he began to squirm and toss. As a result, my family has lost communications. Ten years later in a state
    hospital bed he died on his own, evidently.

Only legal remedy I can think of is to find out how different states regard the euthanasia issue. Dr. Kavorkian, R.I.P..

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to Dim Witte on Fri Nov 11 15:52:48 2022
    On Friday, November 11, 2022 at 1:13:13 AM UTC-9, Dim Witte wrote:
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 7:40:53 PM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:

- Some disabled people have even decided to end their lives because their healthcare expenses grew too costly...But I’m still in favor of right-to-die rules that offer end-of-life options to more than just terminally ill patients. I’ve felt
    that way ever since I watched my grandmother waste away slowly with Alzheimer’s over many years. She had told us often that she wanted to end her life before she became unable to read, speak, feed herself or dress herself. Yet for almost a decade she
    lay in a nursing home bed in just that condition, and there was nothing we could do to help her despite knowing her long-standing, unwavering preference.

----------------
    Must be the issue of euthanasia is related to abortion, and the question of who has the right to decide? Seems like the owner of the body has right to decide, since the option to end life can be exercised by oneself.

In Alaska, where I live, there are occasional reports of a remote cabin and its occupant burning up. Not sure how to factor in how individuals seeking relief opt for alcohol and illegal drugs, gang membership, maybe military service. Because our
    churches are not that much part of the equation any more, who beside social workers are helping individuals? Main problem probably concerns family ties, which are important to us all.

I, myself, had a parent who crashed his airplane and suffered part of his brain removed, leaving him in another world of personal care monitoring. At one point, the family decided to opt for euthanasia for him and arranged for someone to shut off his
    oxygen supply at the hospital when we were there. I agreed to this, found that only two others would be there, and turned the oxygen back on when he began to squirm and toss. As a result, my family has lost communications. Ten years later in a state
    hospital bed he died on his own, evidently.

Only legal remedy I can think of is to find out how different states regard the euthanasia issue. Dr. Kavorkian, R.I.P..
    --------------
    I forgot to add that about Alaska Natives it's well known that Eskimos have a tradition of euthanasia, like when an elder realizes he/she is a burden on those sharing with, they will go out alone in sub-zero weather and lie down, maybe in an igloo. Was
    a case like that in recent years of an old man who was found lying down in the snow with his snowmobile near by. But family members tracked him down and brought him back.

Must be similar traditions in history and foreign countries.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05