• computer keyboard economy

From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 7 10:49:29 2022
    Because I like the idea of economy, I picked up on a conversation at a forum about how to restore faded letters on keyboards.

Lots of differing advice about using clear adhesive tape and typed letters, but I happen to have on hand a couple tools that might be used to rescue your old keyboard.

One tool is a plastic letter maker by Helix that has all the letters, numbers and symbols, the same size as on a keyboard. Looks like one could simply place the form on top of a keyboard letter and ink/paint in following the form.

A second tool that seems useful is an available white paint that's quick drying and not too expensive, $1.98. Beaducation would probably be available at cosmetic and other specialty shops, good because it's priced way less than others. If you're up to
    it, probably could try cleaning your key, etching in the letter to clean in, then free-handing in the white paint.

Right now I simply have the letters N and M repaired by putting some sticky paper on the keys and writing in the letters.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From The Real Bev@21:1/5 to Dim Witte on Fri Oct 7 12:22:46 2022
    On 10/7/22 10:49 AM, Dim Witte wrote:
    Because I like the idea of economy, I picked up on a conversation at a forum about how to restore faded letters on keyboards.

Lots of differing advice about using clear adhesive tape and typed letters, but I happen to have on hand a couple tools that might be used to rescue your old keyboard.

One tool is a plastic letter maker by Helix that has all the letters, numbers and symbols, the same size as on a keyboard. Looks like one could simply place the form on top of a keyboard letter and ink/paint in following the form.

A second tool that seems useful is an available white paint that's quick drying and not too expensive, $1.98. Beaducation would probably be available at cosmetic and other specialty shops, good because it's priced way less than others. If you're up
    to it, probably could try cleaning your key, etching in the letter to clean in, then free-handing in the white paint.

Right now I simply have the letters N and M repaired by putting some sticky paper on the keys and writing in the letters.

OTOH, the letters on the keys of my 1992 Model M keyboard are as
    pristine as the day they came out of the factory. I bought every Model
    M I could find at a yard sale. I feel sorry for people who don't have one.

--
    Cheers, Bev
    There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)