• "Sorry, your kids are not your retirement plan"

From Lenona@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 2 21:55:42 2022
    https://thewokesalaryman.com/2019/07/20/sorry-your-kids-are-not-your-retirement-plan/

Please overlook the w-word if you don't like it - it's become a cliche, after all, nothing more.

Anyway, it's done in a minimalist-style cartoon format that I kind of like.

Bottom line: if your main reason for having kids is to be supported, don't do it. (The article doesn't mention this, but what if your perfect adult child is suddenly crippled in an accident, can never work again, and becomes your dependent?) You're
    better off just saving all that money for your retirement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Beaver Fever@21:1/5 to Lenona on Sat Sep 3 06:38:18 2022
    On Friday, September 2, 2022 at 9:55:45 PM UTC-7, Lenona wrote:
    https://thewokesalaryman.com/2019/07/20/sorry-your-kids-are-not-your-retirement-plan/

Please overlook the w-word if you don't like it - it's become a cliche, after all, nothing more.

Anyway, it's done in a minimalist-style cartoon format that I kind of like.

Bottom line: if your main reason for having kids is to be supported, don't do it. (The article doesn't mention this, but what if your perfect adult child is suddenly crippled in an accident, can never work again, and becomes your dependent?) You're
    better off just saving all that money for your retirement.

My mom gambled on my upper middle class sister and her husband (because as much as she loves me she knows she can't depend on her no driving $9 an hour earning idiot son). The day my mom retired her SIL committed a major crime (it's even on WIkipedia!)
    and my sister went flying off the rails AND had another kid. So it was my mom who ended up supporting all of them. She wasn't counting on financial support (she bought a house and rented it out) but my sister was a nurse and they were once great people
    so it seemed a much better environment to grow old in.

Now my mom had major back surgery, can't walk and has my sister and her 2 now adult daughters living with her. The youngest, who my mom had custody of is now with her oldest grandson who actually recovered enough from the traumatic event to finish high
    school a year early, join the air force and go to college. The one thing he had in common with his father was being really hard working, pro-active and a real go-getter. But hopefully he doesn't own any guns.

This shit cost me too because I often use my mom's card to get around inventory limits and geographic restrictions and post lockdown $20,000 in refunds went back to her card and got absorbed my existing debt.

In the meantime my income went up tenfold (temporarily, I'm done) off a pricing arbitrage scheme and the last 8 years or so were the best of my life. Not sure how much I could do to help if she were still lving in Palmdale.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)