• DO NOT BUY a Staber Washing Machine - What they won't tell you

From FLORENCE OGSBURY@21:1/5 to quake...@gmail.com on Sun Jun 20 13:09:27 2021
    On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 7:15:59 PM UTC-4, quake...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, July 8, 2002 at 5:49:55 PM UTC-7, PT wrote:
    We have had our Staber washing machine for the last two years and have
    had horrible results, especially for the premium price ($1300). The
    very first time we used it, we put in an expensive quilt (new Amish quilt), used much less detergent than normal (as per the directions),
    and it oversuds, would not spin up or drain, and caused the fabric to bleed. We tried running it back through the rinse cycles time after
    time to no avail. We knew it was expensive, but if it lasted a very
    long time due to its supposedly rugged design and was frugal on water
    and electricity, it should have been a good choice.

If you think you are buying a rugged, care-free machine that will last forever, be frugal on water, and be a good long-term investment, think again.

Problems with Staber washing machines they won't tell you BEFORE you
    buy:

1. If it is still under warranty, and it fails to work, YOU have to fix
    it yourself (though they may be "gracious" enough to send you the
    parts), despite the very high price you pay for it. You probably will
    have to buy a wet/dry vac if you don't have one, so you can suck up the water when you replace your own water pump (observe how the pump design allows hair and other debris to get caught up under a lip of the
    impeller and wrapped around and is next to impossible to remove
    totally).

2. It is extremely sensitive to being perfectly balanced and it still
    is prone to going out of balance when it attemps to spin up. Want to
    wash a single rug due to a pet accident? Forget it. It will attempt to spin up infinitely until you stop it. Two rugs? Better chance, but
    often a failure as well.

3. Unless your machine is on a concrete slab (as I guess is common in
    Ohio where they are made, but not out here in the West), your floor will vibrate heavily vertically when the machine spins up, such that when you stand near the machine when it spins up, your body will shake up and
    down. Nowhere in their literature did it say you needed to either have concrete or triple reinforce your floor to take the beating this machine puts out and prevent extra vibration. Our machine is in a laundry nook
    in our hallway, which you have to walk through to get to the bedrooms.
    The house is 20 years old, so it isn't an old, rickety floor.

4. It very often will not properly go through the rinse and spin cycles because it oversuds (too many suds) and is super sensitive this way. It will just sit there rumbling through, trying in vain to drain and spin
    up until you stop it. Eventually, I suspect it will cause your pump to burn out. You have to reset it back to go through 1 or more rinse
    cycles again, negating the supposedly miserly water use. In the worst cases, we had to go through as many as 6 or even more rinse cycles to
    get it to properly rinse, drain, and spin up. Even being extremely sparingly with detergent (tried three kinds), it often requires an extra
    1 or 2 rinses to be able to spin up.

5. When you call and complain that even though you are using only 1/4
    or 1/5 of the normal amount of detergent you use in a top loader and it
    is still oversudsing, they will claim you need to buy a case of their RECOMMENDED detergent, which is a 20 year supply for us, as this machine is miserly in detergent use. I am sorry, but no where on their website, their literature, or the sales floor at one of their retailers does it
    say anything about being restricted to a single brand of detergent. We have tried 3 detergents that all say it is good for top and front
    loaders and use just a very small amount, just a small fraction of
    normal, and it still oversuds. They "helpfully" suggest you can also dumping in vinegar to cut the suds when it oversuds. One rug required a third of a gallon of vinegar.

6. The main knob that you use to set the washer in motion feels flimsy, has a plastic stem supporting it, and if you accidentally pull it when
    it is already pulled out, it pulls right off the machine. In contrast,
    my 4 year old standard Kenmore washing machine has a very solid feeling knob that you can't just rip right off.

7. If you have to stop the machine to check after it won't rinse and
    spin due to suds and to add vinegar, etc, or if it spins out of balance, you not only have to wait a couple minutes for it to unlock the door,
    but you then have to push against the tub (it is like a hexagon) to
    rotate it to the position where you open the "trap door" to get to the clothes. This is difficult for my wife and the holes in the side of the tub are in such a way as also to be uncomfortable on the hands. The
    "trap door" you open has a left door and a right door that interlock and is difficult or nearly impossible if you only have the use of one hand. Other front or top loaders I have seen can easily be used with one hand.

8. It is very noisy when it spins up. There is no insulation to cut
    the noise level. It sounds like a jet plane. It will also vibrate your floor (unless you have concrete slab), adding additional noise as well. Yes, they have those shock absorber-like things holding the tub (which Staber actually touts as a feature), but it still vibrates the floor heavily. One can only imagine what it would be like if it DIDN'T have
    that feature.

9. When you call for help because of some of the problems stated above (not draining, oversuds, pump not working, etc), their attitude always seems to be that there is something YOU are not doing right, not because of design flaws of THEIR product.

Yes, you can take off the front panel and have "easy access", but how
    many times should someone have to take off the front panel in the course or fixing or diagnosing the machine in the first year or two of
    ownership, especially when it costs so much? I would rather have harder access, and only have to do it every 10 years or so.

Buyer Beware. Preserve your marriage or relationship, DO NOT BUY a
    Staber washing machine.

-Piner

Post a reply to this message in the newsgroups if any of you unhappy Staber users out there wish to add anything or confirm you are experiencing some of the same things I am.
    We bought a Staber way back in 1990s to save power and water in our off grud mountain home. By jolly it did work well for almost 30 yers no problems. However this year the water pump went weak and we easily replaced it with a new improved one. No
    problem. But a month later the motor started making noises, and they no longer have the parts for this 30 year old unit. Disappointing, but I have to say that the 30 years of experience with it was remarkably good. Till now. Most washers fail well before
    that much constant usage.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Solartony Tony@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 22 11:01:04 2023
    ... doesn't last ... soap compartment 1st to break ...then shocks ... then spin cycle ...
    service says no parts, no schematics, no service manual, doesn't 'remember' where parts came from,
    doesn't remember who manufactured components ...
    absurd crap .... paid $1,600 wasted ... a piece of crap ...

has anyone had any luck finding repair parts & replacement components ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From G Taute@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 8 13:25:53 2023
    On Monday, July 8, 2002 at 6:49:55 PM UTC-6, PT wrote:
    We have had our Staber washing machine for the last two years and have
    had horrible results, especially for the premium price ($1300). The
    very first time we used it, we put in an expensive quilt (new Amish
    quilt), used much less detergent than normal (as per the directions),
    and it oversuds, would not spin up or drain, and caused the fabric to
    bleed. We tried running it back through the rinse cycles time after
    time to no avail. We knew it was expensive, but if it lasted a very
    long time due to its supposedly rugged design and was frugal on water
    and electricity, it should have been a good choice.
    If you think you are buying a rugged, care-free machine that will last forever, be frugal on water, and be a good long-term investment, think
    again.
    Problems with Staber washing machines they won't tell you BEFORE you
    buy:
    1. If it is still under warranty, and it fails to work, YOU have to fix
    it yourself (though they may be "gracious" enough to send you the
    parts), despite the very high price you pay for it. You probably will
    have to buy a wet/dry vac if you don't have one, so you can suck up the
    water when you replace your own water pump (observe how the pump design allows hair and other debris to get caught up under a lip of the
    impeller and wrapped around and is next to impossible to remove
    totally).
    2. It is extremely sensitive to being perfectly balanced and it still
    is prone to going out of balance when it attemps to spin up. Want to
    wash a single rug due to a pet accident? Forget it. It will attempt to
    spin up infinitely until you stop it. Two rugs? Better chance, but
    often a failure as well.
    3. Unless your machine is on a concrete slab (as I guess is common in
    Ohio where they are made, but not out here in the West), your floor will vibrate heavily vertically when the machine spins up, such that when you stand near the machine when it spins up, your body will shake up and
    down. Nowhere in their literature did it say you needed to either have concrete or triple reinforce your floor to take the beating this machine
    puts out and prevent extra vibration. Our machine is in a laundry nook
    in our hallway, which you have to walk through to get to the bedrooms.
    The house is 20 years old, so it isn't an old, rickety floor.
    4. It very often will not properly go through the rinse and spin cycles because it oversuds (too many suds) and is super sensitive this way. It
    will just sit there rumbling through, trying in vain to drain and spin
    up until you stop it. Eventually, I suspect it will cause your pump to
    burn out. You have to reset it back to go through 1 or more rinse
    cycles again, negating the supposedly miserly water use. In the worst
    cases, we had to go through as many as 6 or even more rinse cycles to
    get it to properly rinse, drain, and spin up. Even being extremely
    sparingly with detergent (tried three kinds), it often requires an extra
    1 or 2 rinses to be able to spin up.
    5. When you call and complain that even though you are using only 1/4
    or 1/5 of the normal amount of detergent you use in a top loader and it
    is still oversudsing, they will claim you need to buy a case of their RECOMMENDED detergent, which is a 20 year supply for us, as this machine
    is miserly in detergent use. I am sorry, but no where on their website,
    their literature, or the sales floor at one of their retailers does it
    say anything about being restricted to a single brand of detergent. We
    have tried 3 detergents that all say it is good for top and front
    loaders and use just a very small amount, just a small fraction of
    normal, and it still oversuds. They "helpfully" suggest you can also
    dumping in vinegar to cut the suds when it oversuds. One rug required a
    third of a gallon of vinegar.
    6. The main knob that you use to set the washer in motion feels flimsy,
    has a plastic stem supporting it, and if you accidentally pull it when
    it is already pulled out, it pulls right off the machine. In contrast,
    my 4 year old standard Kenmore washing machine has a very solid feeling
    knob that you can't just rip right off.
    7. If you have to stop the machine to check after it won't rinse and
    spin due to suds and to add vinegar, etc, or if it spins out of balance,
    you not only have to wait a couple minutes for it to unlock the door,
    but you then have to push against the tub (it is like a hexagon) to
    rotate it to the position where you open the "trap door" to get to the clothes. This is difficult for my wife and the holes in the side of the
    tub are in such a way as also to be uncomfortable on the hands. The
    "trap door" you open has a left door and a right door that interlock and
    is difficult or nearly impossible if you only have the use of one hand.
    Other front or top loaders I have seen can easily be used with one hand.
    8. It is very noisy when it spins up. There is no insulation to cut
    the noise level. It sounds like a jet plane. It will also vibrate your
    floor (unless you have concrete slab), adding additional noise as well.
    Yes, they have those shock absorber-like things holding the tub (which
    Staber actually touts as a feature), but it still vibrates the floor
    heavily. One can only imagine what it would be like if it DIDN'T have
    that feature.
    9. When you call for help because of some of the problems stated above
    (not draining, oversuds, pump not working, etc), their attitude always
    seems to be that there is something YOU are not doing right, not because
    of design flaws of THEIR product.
    Yes, you can take off the front panel and have "easy access", but how
    many times should someone have to take off the front panel in the course
    or fixing or diagnosing the machine in the first year or two of
    ownership, especially when it costs so much? I would rather have harder access, and only have to do it every 10 years or so.
    Buyer Beware. Preserve your marriage or relationship, DO NOT BUY a
    Staber washing machine.
    -Piner
    Post a reply to this message in the newsgroups if any of you unhappy
    Staber users out there wish to add anything or confirm you are
    experiencing some of the same things I am.

I am truly shocked that you've found your machine to be so very inadequate. We've had one of our Stabers for about 18 years. We have been thrilled with the fact that we've never had to have a repairman come to our home - we were able to fix the
    blockage to the pump (and now the pump itself) ourselves. I can't even guess how much money that saves us. We got our first Staber to use in our off-grid home. Powered solely by panels and water supplied by capturing what comes off the roof. So being
    energy and water efficient is our number one priority.

In all this time we have never had a problem with over-sudsing. I don't even know what that would look like. Their soap product is truly wonderful. We no longer order their soap, but continue to use a mere 1/4C of a "green" liquid detergent for a full
    load.

Yes, our washer does vibrate some...much like my sister's name brand machines have always done. Yes, you can pull the operating knobs off. That helps to provide access to the panel behind them. Then you push them back on.

The truly distressing problem you speak of with regard to your new Amish quilt bothers all of the women in my family. The problems you had with the cleaning really is operator problem. The colors ran because it was a brand new quilt (not sure why a
    brand new quilt would need to be washed) and you did not use "color catchers" in the wash with it. Those are amazing little sheets (similar to dryer sheets) that keep brand new fabrics from bleeding all over the other new fabrics.

You might want to consider listing your machine on Craigslist or something like that. That's how we found our second machine that we've had for about 13 years. Granted you won't get your full payment reimbursed that way, but with any luck, you might
    feel a bit better about having gotten rid of something that doesn't seem to work with you at all.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From M B@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 25 09:47:16 2023
    Since we are needing to replace a dryer right now, I was thinking about the nightmare we had with our Staber washer and thought to update my posts on the internet where I reported our significant problems. I wanted people to know that our LG replacement
    is still working after 11 years and hadn't had ANY of the problems Staber expected us to have related to power glitches. I cannot find my reviews anywhere, so I was looking for a place to submit them to warn people. I know this has been many years
    since, but I have read what others have reported since then, and it looks like many of the same problems are there, even though some have avoided significant problems. It is long, but this was our life for 5 years.

My husband and I purchased a Staber washer, model no. HXW2304, series no. W03, serial number B07010907, in February of 2007. We put much time into researching what washer to purchase for our family of 8. We also liked that it could be serviced more
    easily by the user, uses less soap, that it was top loading, large capacity and USA made.

After using if for a few months, there were some drawbacks in how it would get out of balance easily with bedding and less typical loads. It also couldn't seem to spin just a few things. We still made the best of it, but then encountered problems, which
    we contacted the company about in October of 2009. We noticed that the problem usually occurred during the first rinse cycle or late in the last wash cycle. Here is one typical example of what would happen: The drum would start to spin at a high rate
    causing the water to splash out of the washer. The drum then stopped and spun in the opposite direction causing the belt to squeal loudly while the drum caught up with the motor. We shut the washer off. When restarted, the washers breaker tripped.
    Unplugged washer and reset to beginning of rinse cycle 1. Washer proceeded to operate normally for a short time, then problem re-occurred. When we unplugged the washer for at least a minute, we were able to get the washer to finish the load. This problem
    repeated itself a few times and then the machine would no longer turn the motor.

We sent our control board in and received the repaired board on October 26th. It began the same pattern only 3 days later on October 29th and then again on the 31st and again on Nov. 4. I had called on Nov. 2 and we were told we would be sent a new board
    and that this problem can occur when people are off the power grid and get surges. That does not apply to us and we have never noticed any power issues before. We installed the new circuit board on November 7, 2009. We also made all necessary checks in
    regard to the machine and made sure it was properly balanced. The machine worked normally for many months. But then in early 2011, we began to see the pattern described above, but we wanted to avoid having to be without the machine again, so we kept
    hoping that the machine would keep going. However, in November 2011, the motor would no longer spin. We couldn't be certain that the motor wasn't also a problem so this time, we sent both the motor and the control board in, but at this point are quite
    weary of the whole ordeal.

Something just isn't right with this machine and yet Staber handled this like we could be having power surges, instead of considering the possibility that something is wrong with this machine and that this isn't acceptable. That isn't the attitude we
    received. Since we spent $1200 on this machine, it would be a huge loss to give up at this point, so we were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Now the cost is adding up with shipping costs and the laundromat, not to mention the huge inconvenience.
    We had only one thought left to try to cover our end regarding this reoccurring problem. My husband had some of the parts to set up a UPS device to protect our machine from possible surges. He spent money on that as well and needed to build a shelf up on
    the wall above our machine. Again, more money and time just to make this machine work.

So we sent the motor and control board on November 16, 2011. On Dec. 2, we were called and told that there was a burnt resistor but the motor was fine. We went over other matters with Sylvia to make sure all was well with the pump hose and hanger, and
    nothing was wrong there. We received a repaired control board and our motor back on December 7, 2011. It still didn't spin, but there was a broken wire. Fixed that on the 8th and the machine appeared to work. The UPS device was installed before we began
    using the machine again. All seemed fine, but then on December 27th, the washer stopped working during its use. The UPS switch had been tripped. We turned it back on and then the machine worked after that. This happened again on February 22, 2012. Same
    process. We thought that perhaps this meant we had been getting surges and that the UPS device was protecting the machine. However, on February 24th, we had no squealing or none of the usual pattern, but the control board has died again. The motor won't
    spin just as in the other times. Unacceptable. Unacceptable. Unacceptable.
    Let me recap this pattern: Purchased in February 2007; Original control board went bad in October 2009. We sent in our board to be repaired; Repaired board went bad 30 days later. New control board was sent in November of 2009; Control board went bad in
    November of 2011. We sent in our motor and control board to be repaired. Control board was repaired. Motor fine; Repaired board went bad February 24, 2012, just 2 ½ months later.
    I see an interesting pattern here, in that a new board lasted us no longer than 2 ½ years and the repaired boards lasted 30 days to 2 ½ months. Unacceptable. Since this last occurrence happened late on a Friday and they have no evening or weekend hours,
    we were faced with what? Going through this again? More Laundromat, more expense and then what will we get? No one has offered something that works. We finally had to go out and purchase another washing machine after 5 years of trouble from a $1200
    machine.

Another important detail is that the last new control board we were able to receive was in November of 2009. Once we started having problems with that control board, we learned that Staber no longer was making new control boards for this model since they
    had a newer model. So already we were reduced to having only repaired boards after having the machine for only 2 years, and then look at the outcome of these repaired boards 30 days and 2 ½ months! No solutions. No working machine.

Due to our continuous problems and needing to take the front of the machine off (we found that when the machine went into its screeching spin, splashing water everywhere, that having the front off helped it to dry out faster so that it could work again
    sooner), we left it off for a 9-month period when the last control board began acting up. This presents many dangers, especially to young children, which we do have. This is unacceptable that we should have to leave it this way to make our machine dry
    out when it is malfunctioning.
    Also, we found the limited hours for Staber a problem, which left us hanging often on the weekends, besides late afternoon and evenings. Also, the hours kept changing from what they were in the manual and we wrote down the new hours in the manual. The
    next time we had troubles, we called and we found out we were after hours even though we were calling within the time frame that we wrote down. Then the next time we called, and I was put on hold, the recording gave hours that were different than what we
    were just told. So, first the hours are quite limited, but then we can’t nail them down.

So the long and short of it is that Staber got our money, the postal service got our money, the laundromat got our money, and even Radio Shack got some of our money (the UPS device), and that machine took much of our time, but we have nothing to show for
    it but this metal box sitting in our garage that can't do what it was designed to do no matter how hard we have tried to make it work. We sent the above correspondence to Staber, hoping they would take responsibility, but here is what happened:
    I called Staber March 16th, 2012 since I hadn't heard from them after sending two emails and waiting two weeks for a response. Rachel connected me with Brad **, the director for Staber. He said he hadn't received the emails and gave me an email to send
    them directly to him. He gave me a cell phone number and told me to call him directly by the end of the day if he hadn't contacted me. He didn't call, so I did and had to leave a message. He never called back. He emailed on Monday, the 19th, and said he
    was out of town but would try to talk to me Tuesday. That never happened. I tried to call again, but no messages could be left. I emailed the same day asking when a good time to talk would be. He never replied. Within a few days, I called again and left
    a message. No reply.

On March 28th, I sent an email indicating I felt stuck since he wasn't responding. I asked for a reply that day or the following day. One week of silence. I called Staber on April 4th and talked to Rachel. I asked to talk to Mr. **. After some time on
    hold, I was told she was still searching for him. Then some man named John gets on the phone to tell me that Brad was on the phone and that he would call me back. That never happened. I called on April 5th and told Rachel I needed to talk to Brad to
    resolve this. She got back to me and said that Brad sent me an email. He essentially is saying that we have a power problem and they can't do anything.

Staber has no way to prove that we have power issues and we have relayed to them our history of a lack of power issues and that we built the UPS device to protect the washer. It didn't matter to them. We have been in this house for 14 years and have
    never had problems with appliances, computers, etc. shutting down or being damaged. We never had any problems with our old washers, nor had a problem with our electronic dryer, which we bought the same time as the Staber washer, but it is not a Staber
    dryer. Also, since the Staber washer died this last time on February 24, 2012, my husband put the UPS device to better use and has been using it to protect all of his computers in his office. He works out of our home and has several computers running all
    day long. Since he has been using it, there has not been one incident of the UPS device shutting down, even though it shut down twice during the short time we had it set up to protect the washer.

Also, our new washer, which is an LG, has had no problems working properly on the same circuit. Claiming that we have an odd energy delivery problem is a scapegoat, and Staber needs to face up to what the real problem is with their machine and take
    responsibility for it.
    We gave Staber every opportunity to resolve our continuous washer problems, but now this is their bottom line. We have filed a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General. This has been many years ago, but we see many others with similar troubles especially
    with customer support. People should be aware.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Solartony Tony@21:1/5 to M B on Fri Aug 25 10:49:53 2023
    On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 9:47:19 AM UTC-7, M B wrote:
    Since we are needing to replace a dryer right now, I was thinking about the nightmare we had with our Staber washer and thought to update my posts on the internet where I reported our significant problems. I wanted people to know that our LG
    replacement is still working after 11 years and hadn't had ANY of the problems Staber expected us to have related to power glitches. I cannot find my reviews anywhere, so I was looking for a place to submit them to warn people. I know this has been many
    years since, but I have read what others have reported since then, and it looks like many of the same problems are there, even though some have avoided significant problems. It is long, but this was our life for 5 years.

My husband and I purchased a Staber washer, model no. HXW2304, series no. W03, serial number B07010907, in February of 2007. We put much time into researching what washer to purchase for our family of 8. We also liked that it could be serviced more
    easily by the user, uses less soap, that it was top loading, large capacity and USA made.

After using if for a few months, there were some drawbacks in how it would get out of balance easily with bedding and less typical loads. It also couldn't seem to spin just a few things. We still made the best of it, but then encountered problems,
    which we contacted the company about in October of 2009. We noticed that the problem usually occurred during the first rinse cycle or late in the last wash cycle. Here is one typical example of what would happen: The drum would start to spin at a high
    rate causing the water to splash out of the washer. The drum then stopped and spun in the opposite direction causing the belt to squeal loudly while the drum caught up with the motor. We shut the washer off. When restarted, the washers breaker tripped.
    Unplugged washer and reset to beginning of rinse cycle 1. Washer proceeded to operate normally for a short time, then problem re-occurred. When we unplugged the washer for at least a minute, we were able to get the washer to finish the load. This problem
    repeated itself a few times and then the machine would no longer turn the motor.

We sent our control board in and received the repaired board on October 26th. It began the same pattern only 3 days later on October 29th and then again on the 31st and again on Nov. 4. I had called on Nov. 2 and we were told we would be sent a new
    board and that this problem can occur when people are off the power grid and get surges. That does not apply to us and we have never noticed any power issues before. We installed the new circuit board on November 7, 2009. We also made all necessary
    checks in regard to the machine and made sure it was properly balanced. The machine worked normally for many months. But then in early 2011, we began to see the pattern described above, but we wanted to avoid having to be without the machine again, so we
    kept hoping that the machine would keep going. However, in November 2011, the motor would no longer spin. We couldn't be certain that the motor wasn't also a problem so this time, we sent both the motor and the control board in, but at this point are
    quite weary of the whole ordeal.

Something just isn't right with this machine and yet Staber handled this like we could be having power surges, instead of considering the possibility that something is wrong with this machine and that this isn't acceptable. That isn't the attitude we
    received. Since we spent $1200 on this machine, it would be a huge loss to give up at this point, so we were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Now the cost is adding up with shipping costs and the laundromat, not to mention the huge inconvenience.
    We had only one thought left to try to cover our end regarding this reoccurring problem. My husband had some of the parts to set up a UPS device to protect our machine from possible surges. He spent money on that as well and needed to build a shelf up on
    the wall above our machine. Again, more money and time just to make this machine work.

So we sent the motor and control board on November 16, 2011. On Dec. 2, we were called and told that there was a burnt resistor but the motor was fine. We went over other matters with Sylvia to make sure all was well with the pump hose and hanger, and
    nothing was wrong there. We received a repaired control board and our motor back on December 7, 2011. It still didn't spin, but there was a broken wire. Fixed that on the 8th and the machine appeared to work. The UPS device was installed before we began
    using the machine again. All seemed fine, but then on December 27th, the washer stopped working during its use. The UPS switch had been tripped. We turned it back on and then the machine worked after that. This happened again on February 22, 2012. Same
    process. We thought that perhaps this meant we had been getting surges and that the UPS device was protecting the machine. However, on February 24th, we had no squealing or none of the usual pattern, but the control board has died again. The motor won't
    spin just as in the other times. Unacceptable. Unacceptable. Unacceptable.
    Let me recap this pattern: Purchased in February 2007; Original control board went bad in October 2009. We sent in our board to be repaired; Repaired board went bad 30 days later. New control board was sent in November of 2009; Control board went bad
    in November of 2011. We sent in our motor and control board to be repaired. Control board was repaired. Motor fine; Repaired board went bad February 24, 2012, just 2 ½ months later.
    I see an interesting pattern here, in that a new board lasted us no longer than 2 ½ years and the repaired boards lasted 30 days to 2 ½ months. Unacceptable. Since this last occurrence happened late on a Friday and they have no evening or weekend
    hours, we were faced with what? Going through this again? More Laundromat, more expense and then what will we get? No one has offered something that works. We finally had to go out and purchase another washing machine after 5 years of trouble from a $
    1200 machine.

Another important detail is that the last new control board we were able to receive was in November of 2009. Once we started having problems with that control board, we learned that Staber no longer was making new control boards for this model since
    they had a newer model. So already we were reduced to having only repaired boards after having the machine for only 2 years, and then look at the outcome of these repaired boards 30 days and 2 ½ months! No solutions. No working machine.

Due to our continuous problems and needing to take the front of the machine off (we found that when the machine went into its screeching spin, splashing water everywhere, that having the front off helped it to dry out faster so that it could work again
    sooner), we left it off for a 9-month period when the last control board began acting up. This presents many dangers, especially to young children, which we do have. This is unacceptable that we should have to leave it this way to make our machine dry
    out when it is malfunctioning.
    Also, we found the limited hours for Staber a problem, which left us hanging often on the weekends, besides late afternoon and evenings. Also, the hours kept changing from what they were in the manual and we wrote down the new hours in the manual. The
    next time we had troubles, we called and we found out we were after hours even though we were calling within the time frame that we wrote down. Then the next time we called, and I was put on hold, the recording gave hours that were different than what we
    were just told. So, first the hours are quite limited, but then we can’t nail them down.

So the long and short of it is that Staber got our money, the postal service got our money, the laundromat got our money, and even Radio Shack got some of our money (the UPS device), and that machine took much of our time, but we have nothing to show
    for it but this metal box sitting in our garage that can't do what it was designed to do no matter how hard we have tried to make it work. We sent the above correspondence to Staber, hoping they would take responsibility, but here is what happened:
    I called Staber March 16th, 2012 since I hadn't heard from them after sending two emails and waiting two weeks for a response. Rachel connected me with Brad **, the director for Staber. He said he hadn't received the emails and gave me an email to send
    them directly to him. He gave me a cell phone number and told me to call him directly by the end of the day if he hadn't contacted me. He didn't call, so I did and had to leave a message. He never called back. He emailed on Monday, the 19th, and said he
    was out of town but would try to talk to me Tuesday. That never happened. I tried to call again, but no messages could be left. I emailed the same day asking when a good time to talk would be. He never replied. Within a few days, I called again and left
    a message. No reply.

On March 28th, I sent an email indicating I felt stuck since he wasn't responding. I asked for a reply that day or the following day. One week of silence. I called Staber on April 4th and talked to Rachel. I asked to talk to Mr. **. After some time on
    hold, I was told she was still searching for him. Then some man named John gets on the phone to tell me that Brad was on the phone and that he would call me back. That never happened. I called on April 5th and told Rachel I needed to talk to Brad to
    resolve this. She got back to me and said that Brad sent me an email. He essentially is saying that we have a power problem and they can't do anything.

Staber has no way to prove that we have power issues and we have relayed to them our history of a lack of power issues and that we built the UPS device to protect the washer. It didn't matter to them. We have been in this house for 14 years and have
    never had problems with appliances, computers, etc. shutting down or being damaged. We never had any problems with our old washers, nor had a problem with our electronic dryer, which we bought the same time as the Staber washer, but it is not a Staber
    dryer. Also, since the Staber washer died this last time on February 24, 2012, my husband put the UPS device to better use and has been using it to protect all of his computers in his office. He works out of our home and has several computers running all
    day long. Since he has been using it, there has not been one incident of the UPS device shutting down, even though it shut down twice during the short time we had it set up to protect the washer.

Also, our new washer, which is an LG, has had no problems working properly on the same circuit. Claiming that we have an odd energy delivery problem is a scapegoat, and Staber needs to face up to what the real problem is with their machine and take
    responsibility for it.
    We gave Staber every opportunity to resolve our continuous washer problems, but now this is their bottom line. We have filed a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General. This has been many years ago, but we see many others with similar troubles
    especially with customer support. People should be aware.

thx for taking the time to write ....what a nightmare ...plz keep us posted on the ohio ag issue ...
    should a complaint be filed in other states ?

issues here, light use once a month or less, half the time/several yrs in a row (at least 3) not using it:

no service manual (not owners the manual,) ie board schematics, wiring, tech specs, what not

board is no longer available, mfg says they 'forgot' who made it ... ahah

no board schematics

water inlet solenoid nylon threads very very easy to shred/strip, MUST apply teflon tape

difficult to repair access parts for a diy

air shocks don't last, german company (suspa), originals cannot be refurbished,
    there are no other OEM shocks tmk, looked everywhere

motor & tank pulleys do not align from new/factory, at least 1/4" wobble, belt skips 2 ribs

motor brushes not available from manufacturer

dc motor manufacturer not available

soap dispenser was the first to break, within the 1st yr, replacements no longer available

belt is non-standard (bando), can't find OEM nor original stock

spin often goes out of balance, clothes in the drum have to be re-balanced after stopping machine

machine out of balance pulls & breaks motor & sensor wires

technical support is a joke, rude, abusive, condescending

anyone needing no.'s for these parts let me know,
    maybe we can find oem replacements somewhere

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05