• "Proof That Boomers Have No Idea How Much Anything Costs"

From Lenona@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 20 09:07:01 2023
    " 'Proof That Boomers Have No Idea How Much Anything Costs': Grandmother Left $1,500 to Help Her Buy a House"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/proof-that-boomers-have-no-idea-how-much-anything-costs-grandmother-left-dollar1500-to-help-her-buy-a-house/ar-AA18S9bk?ocid=wispr&li=BBnbfcL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lenona@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 22 10:01:30 2023
    Maybe the headline should have said "Just Another Boomer Who Can't Grasp That Times Have Changed."

I think we've all heard of people like that. Even if they have no trouble with computers, per se, they don't necessarily understand why young people today can't automatically be expected to leave home for good at 21 (even roommates might leave or become
    disabled, after all), get and keep a job the same way they did in the 1970s or 1980s, or solve all their money problems through frugality.

But yes, anyone who's alive and lucid should be aware that prices have gone way up - and in many cases, far above the inflation rate.

Btw, I saw something I wish I could investigate better. Someone said that in the 19th century, life was cheap and goods were expensive - and that in the 21st century, it's the other way around.

The question is, just what counts as "life" expenses? Servants' labor was cheap all the way past WWI or so, but food and clothing - both essentials - were expensive. I'm guessing medical care was cheaper, since housecalls used to be common. Maybe housing
    as well. Does anyone know more about that?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)