• The "Village" and mutual labor - or rather, lack of mutuality

From Lenona@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 18 13:15:52 2023
    From yesterday (there are only 18 comments right now, so it's not that long):

"Apparently being childfree means you should be silent about it"

The OP starts with:

"I saw a post on social media today from a woman asking if she was not a good person for not babysitting her sisters five kids, all who had an extremely contagious virus while the mother drove the father to the hospital.

"The sister did not have the best relationship with her family and had often felt let down by them in the past..."

https://www.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/14c420f/apparently_being_childfree_means_you_should_be/

Some comments:

SkylineFever34
    "One reason CF people announce it is because some people want everyone to think children are mandatory. They have to keep the pyramid scheme going.

"If not having children was known by everyone to be an option, loud childfree people would have much less reason to announce it."

ProArtTexas
    "My boyfriend's dad is kinda like this. Any time my boyfriend mentions anything related to being CF, his dad will tell him, 'it's ok that you don't want kids, but you shouldn't talk about it so much,' or 'it's ok that you don't want kids, but don't
    attack others for wanting them.' It reminds me of how the LGBTQ+ were-- and sometimes still are-- treated.'It's ok that you're gay, just don't 'act' gay.' "

TimelsntSustainable
    "Thats so weird. I never ever think about being childfree when I'm not directly interacting with children or kids....But being childfree is much like being an atheist. I never think about theism until SOMEONE ELSE is 'in my face about it.' "

Me: This section of the thread caught my eye, and it's the most relevant to this newsgroup. It's also the first time I've heard of "Quiet Quitting."

Lunamkardas
    "Every single effin time I hear that goddamned word "Village" I know exactly what sort of mofo I'm dealing with.

"Because the Parents that bitch and whine about (not having) a "Village" are lying through their teeth about what they want, since what they want is nothing so wholesome but they know using deceptive language makes them sound better, like how Companies
    started using that bullshit term "Quiet Quitting" to be deceptive about them bitching about people choosing to only do what they're being paid for.

"A Village is where EVERYONE helps each other.

"What these entitled dork ass losers actually want is a group of people to do their job of Parenting without any payment or reciprocation of labor."

SkylineFever34
    "Yes, and the moment the village requires discipline, it's all over."

Lunamkardas
    "The thing that blows my mind is that the people who cry about villages are also the ones who never lifted a finger for others who needed aid. It's all take take take and not one inch of give."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)