• Frugal living transportation

From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 22 02:48:46 2023
    Where I live there are many available transportation services available for those of us without cars:
    1) free city bus travel all day Wednesday;
    2) $1 for senior citizens to ride city buses;
    3) free city bus service for disabled and seniors by AnchorRides by appointment;
    4) free VA transportation for military in some cases, which I've never used;
    5) taxi service that offers payment by vouchers, which I've never used.

So now that I've sold my car, which has been costly to insure, fuel, and maintain in Alaska's climate, I'm making use of what's available. I seriously suggest that selling your car and taking advantage of other transportation is worth considering.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 22 02:59:41 2023
    Where I live there are many available transportation services available for those of us without cars:
    3) free city bus service for disabled and seniors by AnchorRides by appointment;
    4) free bus to grocery and back once a month, for residents at my apartment complex;
    5) free VA transportation for military in some cases, which I've never used;
    6) taxi service that offers payment by vouchers, which I've never used.

So now that I've sold my car, which has been costly to insure, fuel, and maintain in Alaska's climate, adding up to something like $2K per year, I'm making use of what's available. I seriously suggest that selling your car and taking advantage of other
    transportation is worth considering. Might even start a car pool with neighbors and/or relatives?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to Dim Witte on Sat Apr 22 18:48:22 2023
    On Saturday, April 22, 2023 at 1:59:44 AM UTC-8, Dim Witte wrote:
    4) free bus to grocery and back once a month, for residents at my apartment complex;
    5) free VA transportation for military in some cases, which I've never used; 6) taxi service that offers payment by vouchers, which I've never used.

So now that I've sold my car, which has been costly to insure, fuel, and maintain in Alaska's climate, adding up to something like $2K per year, I'm making use of what's available. I seriously suggest that selling your car and taking advantage of other
    transportation is worth considering. Might even start a car pool with neighbors and/or relatives?

Just checked insurance rate for my--as yet unpurchased--car, a 2005 Nisan Sentra, and the offer at Progressive is over $1,200 for six months. So, over-all, I'm saving between $3,500 and $4,000 a year sans vehicle, which sells on Craigs List for about $3,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Dim Witte on Sun Apr 23 18:12:06 2023
    On Saturday, April 22, 2023 at 2:59:44 AM UTC-7, Dim Witte wrote:
    5) free VA transportation for military in some cases, which I've never used; 6) taxi service that offers payment by vouchers, which I've never used.

How do you feel about this?:

(Youtube upload):

"Top 10 Reasons NOT to move to Alaska."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 23 20:08:45 2023
    On Sunday, April 23, 2023 at 6:12:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:

So now that I've sold my car, which has been costly to insure, fuel, and maintain in Alaska's climate, adding up to something like $2K per year, I'm making use of what's available. I seriously suggest that selling your car and taking advantage of
    other transportation is worth considering. Might even start a car pool with neighbors and/or relatives?

(Youtube upload):

https://news.yahoo.com/people-suffering-food-stamp-woes-133422225.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Tue Apr 25 15:29:10 2023
    On Sunday, April 23, 2023 at 5:12:08 PM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:

So now that I've sold my car, which has been costly to insure, fuel, and maintain in Alaska's climate, adding up to something like $2K per year, I'm making use of what's available. I seriously suggest that selling your car and taking advantage of
    other transportation is worth considering. Might even start a car pool with neighbors and/or relatives?

(Youtube upload):

Found this list:
    Reasons not to move to Alaska

High Cost of Living
    Shipping Problems
    Substance Abuse Problems
    Violent Crimes
    Weather
    Ratio of Sexes
    You might need a car
    Gun Friendly
    Expensive Airline Tickets
    Crazy Wildlife

I agree with the list's implications, it's just that once you come to Alaska it tends to be memorable, and they say that you are likely to return. Some military stationed here decide to stay. Common sentiment is that, in Alaska you get an adrenalin
    high, and you don't want to leave. I came here in 1976 from Florida, had trouble with the dark and cold winters (1,000 foot stare/cabin sickness), went back and forth between East Coast and Alaska until 1981, then stayed in Alaska, never leaving for 45
    years.

Someone should list the reasons FOR moving to Alaska, including availability of jobs, so informally arranged that your interview could be by telephone, as mine was. Or just visit a bar and be offered a job by someone. Alaskans may do subsistence living,
    have commercial fishing rights, do trapping and mining, and have several bank accounts. but look like high-school drop-outs. I think its the Mother Nature appeal with all the wildlife that gets to you, like seeing Northern Lights, animals up close,
    sharing with Natives, isolation from Outside.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05